Mitsubishi Commercial

martininsocal

Reaction
Anyone else see it yet? Two guys watching the Mistu racing offroad, jumping, showing off underbody skid plates, etc... They're all jazzed and one says to the "Let's do it!!!" The other guy says to his wife.."Hon, I'm taking the Mitsu Saturday..." and she says "yes, and remember to pick up some gloves when you get the garden supplies, remember the blisters you got last time you worked in the garden..."

Too funny.

If your gonna go, go BIG

Dillon

Reaction
The way they as a company conducted themselves in World War II in the use of American POWs as slave labor and continue to ignore it and not apologize and pay them for services rendered. I'm really not gonna get into it cuz it just pisses me off, but needless to say, they are one of the few Japanese companies that are still refusing to apologize and thats ridiculous in this day in age when a company that big has mucho money.

stuckthrottle

Godlike
Reaction
i had no idea.

i read up on it (some) and found this.
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.aiipowmia.com/inter23/in020803labor.html>From Bloomberg News

Mitsubishi Materials Corp., Japan's largest nonferrous metal smelter, and other Japanese companies can't be sued in California by people who say they were forced to work as slave laborers during World War II, a state appeals court said.

A San Diego appeals court said the 1951 peace treaty that formally ended the war blocks such lawsuits. The ruling is the third in the last month on reparations for former slave laborers. A federal appeals court, in a ruling last month, also said Californians couldn't sue Japanese companies.

The suit was brought by survivors of Japanese prisoner-of- war camps against Mitsubishi Materials, which lost a trial court bid to have such suits thrown out and appealed.

The state appeals court sided with the federal government, which argued that claims against Japan were settled by the 1951 treaty.

"The federal government has the better part of the argument regarding the effect of the treaty," the state court said. "Simply put, it precludes this lawsuit from going forward."

Arne Wagner, an attorney for Mitsubishi Materials, didn't return a message seeking comment.

A Los Angeles appeals court reached the opposite conclusion last month, saying the suits could go forward. Opposing state appeals court rulings can be taken up by the California Supreme Court.

The suits were sparked by a 1999 California law that allowed World War II soldiers, civilians and their heirs to sue corporations to recover wages."</A>

JrSyko

Jerry Maguire
Reaction
Wow thats fascinating. I had no idea that took place. They should at least offer an apology.

See ya in the dirt!

Dillon

Reaction
The thing that article doesn't mention is that the Peace Treaty protected Japanese industry financially and stated that since we basically beat the snot out of them in the war, we would help rebuild the country and they would financially collapse if they compensated all the POWs.

Kawasaki is another one and we know what they make....

Look for a book called Unjust Enrichment, sad stuff...

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by Dillon on 03/04/03 07:30 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

evan_clanin

Reaction
mitsu, the same company that brought us the zero, aka, kamakazi pilots durring ww2

Can blind people be dyslexic when they read Braille?

Dillon

Reaction
You know, I got the book when it was exclusive to the Military Book Club only a few years ago. I think the author (Linda Goetz Holmes) changed publishers because the book club promoted the hell out of it and wanted to spread the word.

I've seen it at Barnes & Noble and Borders though, not sure what publisher its under tho...

evan_clanin

Reaction
no to jack or ne thing, but i saw a commercial today for some credit card and it was a guy gettin worked over bye a treadmill, and it was pretty damn funny

Can blind people be dyslexic when they read Braille?

martininsocal

Reaction
If the treaty keeps Americans from sueing the japanese, then waht was the reparations about with the interned Japanese Americans?

Stir that around awhile.

If your gonna go, go BIG

michael_loomis

Reaction
damn i was just dying to get a mitsu big screen too !

and speaking of commercials 2 i love are the "dont be that guy" with the 70's bike pulls of the the gate at the moto , and then the cough cough jeff gordon pepsi commercial when the big guy trys to jump in his truck cause the chicks dig jeff !

drtdevil93

Reaction
i respectfully disagree with you. i think that is the same thinking that says white people should appologize because their ancestors were slave owners (yes, mine were). the current people that run mitsubishi weren't alive when those things happened, why should they appologize for something they had nothing to do with. its just more politically correct crap.
i seem to remember hearing a couple years ago that it turned out that IBM had sold counting machines to the nazis for counting how many people they killed in the concentration camps. should IBM have to pay millions to all the families, or even appologize? i say no way.

erik

ACID_RAIN28

Reaction
Mitsu also supplys ALOT of the electronics in motorsycles such as cdi, coils and what not, SUZUKI, YAHMAHA, etc.

Do we have a rule book? A rule book, sir?
You know, a book with rules in it.

Dillon

Reaction
Sorry, but I gotta disagree, I've done alot of research into this. I too am against punishing ancestors of wrongdoers, however the thing that irks me is that they flat out refuse to apologize. Most of the vets don't even want money, just an apology. Most of them are pissed because their own country that they lost best friends and many precious years for is siding on what was only 60 years ago the 'enemy' and basically telling the POW vets to take a hike and really can't wait till they all die off.

The point these vets are trying to make is that these companies made profit off of not paying for slave labor and got off scot free, not even a damn apology. Yet many many German companies have apologized and even paid money without any political pressure because most of their country knows they did bad and just want to forget it. The Japanese companies that are still holding out really don't think they did anything wrong, which is pathetic.

As for IBM, the mass killings of the Holocaust didn't start till after the Wannsee Conference in 1941, IBM cuts ties with the counting machine's subsidiary (Hollerith) in 1942 and the machine was using existing technology that they had monopolized. Hollerith was the company that sold the technology and programmed the machines for the Germans, the author of the book who shed light on this even admits it wasn't IBM but Hollerith but since IBM owned Hollerith they are at fault. I admit its kinda shady, but IBM wasn't directly killing people or using slaves, which makes a huge difference compared to the Japanese companies that were.

Sorry, didn't mean to go off on a tangent....

bajaboy

Reaction
I really hate to get political on a "fun" web site but Japanese companies have been refusing to say a simple sorry for a few thing they did in the war .

Do any of you know about what happen in Nanking, China ? During the war , Japanese troops went into that region of China , just to kill as many Chinese civilians as possible , not to fight , just to kill . Many people don't know about this because they have denied it ! even though photos and mass graves are found in China. Lots of the older Chinese are still pissed off by this but I'm not going to stress to much . The situation sounds like the Nazis saying they never set up camps to wipe out certain people .

Now let's go race !!! See ya all in San Felipe

Bajaboy

JrSyko

Jerry Maguire
Reaction
Dirt Devil,

I agree with you that we should not have to say sorry for what our great great grandfathers did, however what makes this situation different is that this happened within a life time. Many of these veterans could find the very people at Mitsubishi who put them into slave labor. Getting an apology from some distant family member is not the same as getting an apology from the actual culprit.

See ya in the dirt!

martininsocal

Reaction
Jr. Do you really believe that you will still find CEO's or even Janitors at Mitsu that were involved with teh POW slave workers during WW2? That would put them in their 80's. I am not saying what they did was right, but I also don't believe in punishing descendents of wrong doers. Should we not hold the jewish scientists who unleashed the knowledge to develop atomic weapons responsible should Pyong Yang decide to turn Seoul to glass? I think what many do not realize is that thinking in war is much different than thinking in peace time. While we all would find many of the things that occured during the war from all sides reprehensible, during war, they are not. Do you fight a war to win, or to be fair? Japan did what itthought would keep their country alive. They did not think if they lost teh war, they would be in the position they are now, they figured they would be rounded up and turned into slaves by the conquering round eyes. That was what happened to losers of wars of the past. The imperialists era was one of taking over and subverting populaces into slavery for the new Mother country. Why would teh Japanese think any differently?
Anyone alive in the States during WW2, had things gone differently and Japan invaded our mainland, would have done whatever was required to fight them off. ANYTHING. The mentality one has during true life or death, end of a country times cannot be Monday Morining Quarterbacked. While their ambitions to rule both sides of the Pacific where wrong by most standards, they belived what they were doing was trying to prevent the USA from achieving the same goal. It was a different time with different rules, very wrong by todays standards, but very normal for those times. The decissions made 60 years ago were based on life 60 years ago, not today. I can have contempt for those who commited those atrocities, I do not hold those in charge today accountable for the decissions made then, unless that is the same person.

Martin

If your gonna go, go BIG