• Forum membership has its advantages....

Modernized Pro truck

azjeepracer

Was just kinda thinking out loud, how many people would be interested or seeing what the possibilty in a new spec class:full size, ls series motor, tube chassis if it was done right for like 100k

mgobaja

Pro-Truck seems to have ironed out most of the issues in the last 14 years or so. The biggest gripe I have with them now is the fact that at 100 miles or less, they are running on fumes. A 50 or 60 gallon cell would be a great change. Back when they ran BFG's they would not even make it between pits for La Paz runs, if you chose to use BFG.

As far as adding a class, it seems that a bunch have been added in the last few years anyways.

azjeepracer

Pro-Truck seems to have ironed out most of the issues in the last 14 years or so. The biggest gripe I have with them now is the fact that at 100 miles or less, they are running on fumes. A 50 or 60 gallon cell would be a great change. Back when they ran BFG's they would not even make it between pits for La Paz runs, if you chose to use BFG.

As far as adding a class, it seems that a bunch have been added in the last few years anyways.
I will say that they are a pretty solid vehicle, was just thinkin outside the box, giev tne fact that they have been around for a long time

MIKEY CHILDRESS

Iron Mike
I will say that they are a pretty solid vehicle, was just thinkin outside the box, giev tne fact that they have been around for a long time
. It would be mice to see protruck be updated a little bigger fuel cell
newer shocks remount the steering box. I think pro truck would have more of a following if u could update them.

racer56

Isn't Pro Truck dead? Seems like there are very few teams left.

azjeepracer

it has seemed that the entries have dropped off in the class, so maybe someone could pick up the pieces or get with ivan and make changes to the class to bring back the people, make the changes that would realy benifet the class, larger fuel cell, newer shock technology and so on, this class set the movement for what a spec class is today. Would be nice too see new life come out of it

meatlog

Neth Racing Works has been the builder of the Protruck chassis from the very beginning. That's right, all 53 or 54 of them (the first few were made at Savage's shop). We haven't got an order for one in 2 years (we stay busy with other stuff). We still make parts and do repairs but I think the writing is on the wall. If Ivan gives up on it, we should certainly keep the class but open up the rules. Everyone complained they needed bigger breaks (which ironically were cheaper) but Ivan wouldn't have it. Open up the shocks and tires to any manufacturer. The motor should stay within the same horsepower region but not more powerful to avoid problems with the tubing size rules. Anyway, a refresh would be awesome.

azjeepracer

Well look at the first Prophy truck, i forget who it was but with a different motor and im not sure what else was changed it won baja i think that if the right changes were made to the class it could bring fresh blood back into the class and keep it alive.

Kirk_Babbington

Well look at the first Prophy truck, i forget who it was but with a different motor and im not sure what else was changed it won baja i think that if the right changes were made to the class it could bring fresh blood back into the class and keep it alive.
You are thinking of the Miller/Arciero truck. Another "prophy" truck was the Vosberg/Chuck Harris truck that Cameron Steele then bought and raced for a short period of time.

azjeepracer

thats right been a long day haha, didnt miller/arciero's truck just have a gm performance grate 6.0 in it, was there any suspension uipdates made to the truck what so ever

RocketMan

My thoughts (and these are the boracho (sp) ramblings of a at this time drunk) increase the size of the cell this has been an issue for well...forever i guess.. oh and brakes also make it so anyone with some fab skills and bender can buy the plans and build their own chassis.they charge too much for the chassis and components it seems outragious . oh and isn't it true ya have to buy tires and other items only from protruck at inflated prices...make it so ya can get your parts wherever this will make prices lower due to competition between dealers..I think if this was done it would make the class more affordable and hopfully increase the number of competitors...my.02

azjeepracer

It would be really good for the class to make it not so hinging on the racer having to get everything from protruck themselves at a inflated price, make the class more affordable and fix the issues that are holding the trucks back and bring back some of the entries

azjeepracer

thats a very good ? I think a few were sent over seas for racing out there and there are the dakar trucks that run too, so it is prtobably safe to say that they are not purchasing strickly protruck issued parts

Random Thoughts Racing

54 Protrucks built? But where are they?!!
Some are prerunners, some desrtroyed, some overseas, some are weekend play toys, some race, some converted to other classes, some in mothballs waiting for a better economy.

Mcarlson1

Wasnt it just a couple years ago when they had 100k purse? Did that go away all of a sudden when the trucks went away? I agree that it needs to be updated, and some better looking wheels, PLEASE!!!!! Maybe make the truck wider, isnt it around 76"? Larger cell and brakes, 1 3/4 cage and a sealed LS2 or something. How does Trophylite work with their parts? Can you get parts like brake tires wheels etc from other suppliers or do you have to go through them? I think if the business part modeled TL that would be a good base, they have seemed to do an awful lot in a couple short years.

Thanks,
Mike

copers

I think Jesse Jones race in a prophy truck in the 2002 Baja 1000, that's right? Miller/Arciero race in a prophy truck in the same race i think.

Saludos!!

blacksheep

isnt a protruck already over the weight versus tubing size rule.. once ivan is out of the loop shoildnt they have to conform to the rules. they are all 1.5 in if memory is correct

TauMau

IIRC It wasn't about Ivan's involvement that made 1.5" ok, it was the fact the Savage designed and built the first few to those specs.

I don't think Savage would ever stamp his work as unsafe; so the real argument would be if ProTrucks are safe, who's to say other obese 1.5" vehicles aren't as well. And I do believe ProTrucks are very safe...

But let's not let the 1.5" debate sidetrack the thread.