Modernized Pro truck

meatlog

isnt a protruck already over the weight versus tubing size rule.. once ivan is out of the loop shoildnt they have to conform to the rules. they are all 1.5 in if memory is correct
Exactly. Since Ivan and Savage split in the beginning (through lawsuit i.e. bad terms), if Ivan gave up on it, Savage wouldn't bat an eye at leveling the class (that is in SCORE). It wouldn't be impossible to up the tubing size to accommodate the rules though. In fact when you look at an SPD TT chassis, the basic design is very similar. Addressing another note, most all of the 54 still exist. Only a few were completely destroyed. We have got many of them back that have been endoed with most of the front and rear mangled. We just cut the ends off and weld new ones on. They are really amazingly durable. We had chassis #4 or something in the shop not too long ago and it looked worn out but still in amazing shape. Some of the motor and suspension mount holes were a bit egged out but other than that it looked pretty damn good for being in the dirt 14 years. I love the idea of the sealed LS2 or maybe a sealed new 5.0/ 6.2 liter Ford engine. I think they should keep the basic premise of the class just expand it a bit.

SPROCKET

sealed motors, upgraded shocks of your choice, tires and wheels of choice, any rear end that should do it! fuel cell has worked all these years, yes nice not to stop so offten but wouldn't change the cost of running these trucks like a sealed motor would. U weld chassis arms etc would be really nice then take it to protruck to cert for a charge?

azjeepracer

It amazes me that the fact there have been no big changes to the origonal design, well except from them jumping around from different tire manucacturers, 14 years is a long time to keep with one idea, with all of the new motor options out there and shock technology where it is today, it would be interesting too see what a modern adaptation could do. Even use like a turnkey Ls2 that should still put out the same power as the motors they are using now, but might not have to prep the car as much. Its awsome that alot of people are responding to this idea maybe we can make things happen if they see enough people liking the idea

Last edited:

meatlog

Yep, there has been literally only a couple of modifications to the chassis over all those years. It was really well designed right from the get go.

How would it benefit Mr. Stewart to have outside vendors he can't control for quality or price, let alone profit?

azjeepracer

How would it benefit Mr. Stewart to have outside vendors he can't control for quality or price, let alone profit?
No disrescpect to the iron man, but something should change with this class because it seems that it is dying off, maybe do authorized dealers for the products that he would approve, it shouldnt all be about profit with racing, i mean lets face it we all dont do off road racing for the big money, haha we do it because we all love it. Maybe not change the class completly, maybe just re-tool it to bring back the racers, contact those people with pro trucks and see directly from them what changes could be made to better the class as a hole and what would bring them all back.

Changing a spec class makes those first 54 trucks obsolete, doesn't it? And doesn't Ivan own the organization? Is it really unmade changes that has seen the entries dwindle?

azjeepracer

Well it is hard to say, but something is happening, given the fact that there are 54 trucks that were built the pro truck and how many are usually at a race maybe a hand full, all i am saying is maybe the owners of those 54 trucks could go to ivan and say we want these changes, i mean yes Ivan owns the organization, but the racers make that organization stay afloat.

chicken lips the ocho

Most Annoying RDC Poster
what engines are the pro trucks currently using? do they all run the same engines with different bodies(toyota,ford,chevy,dodge)?

blacksheep

what engines are the pro trucks currently using? do they all run the same engines with different bodies(toyota,ford,chevy,dodge)?
they have different engines built to protrucks specs, they also have to run protruck race fuel.. all parts are currently bought thru protruck.u get the picture ivan gets a cut on just about everything. im supprised more have not switched to the 7200 bitd class .i know one protruck owner that has 2 and he is building a new one off 7200 truck. more entrys and more cost effective not buying thru protruck

azjeepracer

they do seem to be a good starting basis for a 7200 truck. What are the overall prep cost race, and does every repair that has to be made have to be done by pro truck?

bajaruner11

they do seem to be a good starting basis for a 7200 truck. What are the overall prep cost race, and does every repair that has to be made have to be done by pro truck?
Not every repair must be done by Protruck; all repairs must meet spec rules however. This is unless you’re talking about a major repair such as a complete front cage.
What Protruck needs is nothing more than a re-tool as said earlier this thread, the way to do this is to update the engine, shocks, brakes, and fuel cell specs while still grandfathering in the old specs. The reason for this is you don't want to consign the current trucks to the grave, nor due you want to de-value the current trucks and parts to the point of extinction. Also for those who can't afford to update the entire package at the same time you need to keep those folks in the game as the class updates. There will also be a learning curve involved; it will take time to find the optimum set up for all updates.
The platform needs to stay the same as far as rules go just updated, I would like to see brakes spec'd from say Pro-Am, shocks spec'd from Fox, King and Bilstien by putting rules only the shock dimensions, a 55 gallon fuel cell, and spec'd engines of all manufacturers but not sealed, (sealing engines is like sealing shocks, it leaves no room for advancement, the current protruck down fall) the older engines need to be updated to a spec'd fuel injection system, and a new engine platform from all manufactures needs to be allowed such as an LS spec engine. However as I understand it the LS will not fit between the cage tubes at the base. Last open on tires and wheels allowing in bead lock wheels.
They did open up the fuel a little this year allowing VP-110, but have not opened up the compression rule to take advantage of the higher octane. I also feel all future chassis should meet the new Score safety rules for tube size, I don't feel a new chassis should have to be "Grandfathered" in.
Also if Ivan was a business man he would have parts and support at all protruck points races, ProTruck needs to support it's customers on and off the track with reasonable pricing, doing so would yield much better parts sales IMO and lessen the need for Ivan to have these "series sponsors" to keep his business afloat.

azjeepracer

See that is what i was thinkin of, do not make so many changes that u split the older trucks from the newer trucks, make changes that everyone can agree on and keep it as even as possible, shocks, larger fuel cell and so on. And if they can set it up to where you do not have to purchase every little single thing from pro truck it might cut cost down a little bit. I think some new chages could revamp the class and draw back all of those 54 vehicles or atleast the ones still around.

azjeepracer

And i do just want to clarify, i am not saying that ivan is running anything the wrong way, he opened us all up to spec racing, i have been a huge ivan fan for as long as i can remember, i am simply saying that there should be some changes made to keep this awsome class afloat and so we do not see it disapear, keep the origonal idea, but make some changes to keep cost down and bring it back from the grave.

bajaruner11

And i do just want to clarify, i am not saying that ivan is running anything the wrong way, he opened us all up to spec racing, i have been a huge ivan fan for as long as i can remember, i am simply saying that there should be some changes made to keep this awsome class afloat and so we do not see it disapear, keep the origonal idea, but make some changes to keep cost down and bring it back from the grave.
Yes exactly.

alloyz

I think Ivan is too busy pimpin his son's electric bicycle business these days, maybe I'm wrong.

azjeepracer

Well the organization that he created is dying out, at some point he needs to get back to running the program and making it so peoples 120K + investment dont go to a waist. I mean yes the trucks are very solid, but with how the classes are progressing today pro truck will not be around for much longer without keeping the trucks up to date with current technology. Someone commented earlier about him guarding his profits by not letting people get outside products for there trucks, well infact what that is doing is making it to where people are just not racing them anymore, or retrofitting them for other classes. This class was amazing in its hayday, and maybe it is up to the people to ensure this class does not dye out completly.

meatlog

Just FYI, someone said something about getting everyone together who has a Protruck to change the rules. That happened but Ivan wouldn't change hardly anything. Just saying. And the motors are limited to about 360 ci. Off the top of my head I can't remember the compression ratio numbers (I wanna say 10:1) The rev limiters keep them at around 6000 rpm. If they just upped the rev limit, they would do a buck 20 pretty easy.

azjeepracer

the current compression is 9.5:1. See what really sucks is the fact that he isnt really keeping in mind what the people who purchased his race cars would like to change. There must be change in any class, its just a given, If there is no change it dyes, this is a perfect example