• Forum membership has its advantages....

Modernized Pro truck

meatlog

All in all, I love the damn things and I would hate to see them go away. They raced in the US, Mexico, Guam, Laguna Seca, Pikes Peak, and Dakar. What other car has done that? They were even piloted by Captain Picard in "Star Trek Nemesis". They fostered many great Trophy Truck drivers like Rick D. Johnson, Alan Pflueger, Gus Vildosola Jr. and Sr. They got made into "Prophy Trucks" that won the Baja 1000 twice. Plus they sound badass.

nelson979

i remember reading an interview with ivan in the past about protruck and one of the main ideas in it were to not let the drivers decide the specs of the class. if i remember correctly he felt the biggest issue with rising costs of off road racing was that everytime someone broke a part on a class 8 truck they would go to sal and want to upgrade that part and everyone in the class would have to follow and spend more money to keep up with the other guy. and that created out of control spending. so to change everything that is being discussed here would totally contradict the entire mission of what protruck is or was about. i have always wondered why this class isnt bigger, and maybee you guys are on to something, but it was sad to see only one protruck at the mint.

bajaxp

Baja Bobsled Team
Pro Truck does seem like a larger version on Trophy Lite.

I simply went to their website and learned a bunch. http://www.protruck.com/index.shtml

The most telling thing was look at the 'standings' section and start now and go back to 2006. Yes I know the whole pesky 'economy thing' but so far this year they have had a grand total of seven entries and in 2006 they had 33! Dang!

meatlog

If you want some good footage of "Prophy Trucks", check out Desert People 4. There is a section about the Steele/Stout truck and one about the Miller/Arciero Baja 1000 winning truck.

Sparky

i remember reading an interview with ivan in the past about protruck and one of the main ideas in it were to not let the drivers decide the specs of the class. if i remember correctly he felt the biggest issue with rising costs of off road racing was that everytime someone broke a part on a class 8 truck they would go to sal and want to upgrade that part and everyone in the class would have to follow and spend more money to keep up with the other guy. and that created out of control spending. so to change everything that is being discussed here would totally contradict the entire mission of what protruck is or was about. i have always wondered why this class isnt bigger, and maybee you guys are on to something, but it was sad to see only one protruck at the mint.
There is a difference between "upgrading" and "updating". Updating is taking advantage of new parts and new technology to keep the truck competitive and help keep prep costs down. There comes a time when the maintenance of a 14 year old designed part costs more than updating to a current part. A lot has changed since those trucks were developed and there are probably a whole lot of parts on those that could be updated with readily available parts that are stronger and cost less.

fishd00d

What A Joke
Protrucks are pretty awesome IMO. Yes they are a bit outdated and some things should be changed but they really do hold up well. You can beat the crap out of them and they just keep going. The motors are reliable and cost about 12-14K and make around 400-450hp.

2-3 years ago they had 100K to the class champ and now they have like 10k. Its a bummer but no one races them anymore as it seems most in the class have either moved up to a TT or stopped racing. IMO they are still best bang for your $$$ type of truck. Pretty fast, reliable as hell and fun!

DSRacing

Mini Metal MOD
They were even piloted by Captain Picard in "Star Trek Nemesis".
Does anyone know who raced this truck? Did the owners sell the truck to the movie production company or did they simply rent it out and throw the glass fenders back on it after filming was over.

Attachments

azjeepracer

There is a difference between "upgrading" and "updating". Updating is taking advantage of new parts and new technology to keep the truck competitive and help keep prep costs down. There comes a time when the maintenance of a 14 year old designed part costs more than updating to a current part. A lot has changed since those trucks were developed and there are probably a whole lot of parts on those that could be updated with readily available parts that are stronger and cost less.
Exactly, updating the trucks would be a great idea. Keep the cost low and let them use new equipment which is alot stronger and alot more affordable.

DezertRaders

I co-drive Pro-Truck 1263, and I have to say for as old as they are, they drive and handle very well. 4000lbs, 500hp is a good combo for a durable fast truck. At Parker I believe they finished 16th and 18th overall, not bad at all. Yes it would be nice to have 5GAL more, we ran out at Parker, down for 2 hours and ended up 51st. Spec classes can be a blast. Ivan needs to hand it over, let people dust out the moth balls and kick the class back into gear. Comments on up-grading the shock, got to say, they work well, hell they have six 2.5's in the rear, and on our truck we don't lose shocks. The brakes are weak, but it makes you drive!!

Last edited:

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Comments on up-grading the shock, got to say, they work well, hell they have six 2.5's in the rear, and on our truck we don't lose shocks. The brakes are weak, but it makes you drive!!
granted there are multiple shocks per wheel...nothing in shock "technology" has changed, stuff just gotten bigger and heavier. I find it humorous people so quick to change shocks/brands/sizes etc instead of just spending some time tuning with what they have. The package works...if you want more hp and more shock do it but run it in TT.

I would say a larger fuel cell, a filler that doesnt pour on the brakes when overfilled, and any caliper/rotor combo that is stronger and cheaper than currently on the truck readily available to the public. The only thing thats going to bring motivation back to the class is ironhair pulling some cash together for the racers to motivate them to come race. A spec class is a spec class and they are still fairly cheap but there is no reason to race a spec class and deal with the BS politics if there is no big payout.

Drop a big V6 in and race 7200...much more fun and no politics and you can run good wheels and tires.

fishd00d

What A Joke
I would say a larger fuel cell, a filler that doesnt pour on the brakes when overfilled, and any caliper/rotor combo that is stronger and cheaper than currently on the truck readily available to the public. The only thing thats going to bring motivation back to the class is ironhair pulling some cash together for the racers to motivate them to come race. A spec class is a spec class and they are still fairly cheap but there is no reason to race a spec class and deal with the BS politics if there is no big payout.
I agree on the larger cell. The filler is open and you can move it wherever ya want. The CNC upgrade over the Corvette brakes make a pretty big difference but I agree they could still be better.