• Forum membership has its advantages....

Modernized Pro truck

DezertRaders

We have the new CNC calipers, the new larger ball joints, Dart Motor, etc.. I think most people would be surprised on how well these old trucks work. I agree, Ivan just needs to let someone else run Pro-Truck.

StaatsRace1

I've had a blast racing in protruck, but I do have to say that the entries have dropped dramatically. I believe this is due to Ivan not allowing the class to update to better technology. Don't get me wrong, these trucks work awesome and usually finish. Only six trucks at Parker, One truck at the Mint, and four entered for the upcoming Silver State 300. A few changes may bring some trucks back out to the desert.

meatlog

Does anyone know who raced this truck? Did the owners sell the truck to the movie production company or did they simply rent it out and throw the glass fenders back on it after filming was over.
We built the chassis for Protruck who leased it to the production company. Protruck built most of it while the production company made a body and a few attachments for it. Protruck got it back and sold it. If I'm not mistaken it became Rick L. Johnson's Toyota Protruck that won the the 1000 twice (I believe) in it's class. The last I heard it got sold to some Canadians. Funny story was we were teching Vegas to Reno a couple of years ago and we told those guys that the truck was in the movie and they had no idea.

WALSHMOTORSPORTS

I have read on here a few times and agree They need to allow a few choices with tires, shocks and a bigger cell. I have always liked the class.

johnnyweb

you mean clde stouts... i think he was the owner could be wrong
That truck belongs to Voss motorsports know unless they sold it recently. They updated it and raced it a few times (did very well with it to) then they got there new Jimco TT and I have not heard about it since.

OffroadExit

Pistol Pete's Personal Pot Stirrer
I think there was 1 pro-truck that raced the Mint 400 this year as a pro-truck.

bajaruner11

granted there are multiple shocks per wheel...nothing in shock "technology" has changed, stuff just gotten bigger and heavier. I find it humorous people so quick to change shocks/brands/sizes etc instead of just spending some time tuning with what they have. The package works...if you want more hp and more shock do it but run it in TT.
Not really, when it comes to the old bilsteins used on the ProTrucks. Bilstein is now 2 generations beyound the bypass shock currently spec'd on the ProTruck; if you ever have the opportunity to tear one apart you will see exactly why ProTruck needs to update the shocks.
There is better.

johnnyweb

3 shocks and a bump stop per wheel. seams like some extra shock maintenance there. Maybe allow later model power plants w/fuel injection would help with fuel consumption. Open up Tire and Wheel manufacturers. A couple of things that I see would be cool. I do not own one but would love to one day.

Sparky

Not really, when it comes to the old bilsteins used on the ProTrucks. Bilstein is now 2 generations beyound the bypass shock currently spec'd on the ProTruck; if you ever have the opportunity to tear one apart you will see exactly why ProTruck needs to update the shocks.
There is better.
3 shocks and a bump stop per wheel. seams like some extra shock maintenance there.
Update design to 1 Blackhawk and 1 c/o per wheel.

blacksheep

I've had a blast racing in protruck, but I do have to say that the entries have dropped dramatically. I believe this is due to Ivan not allowing the class to update to better technology. Don't get me wrong, these trucks work awesome and usually finish. Only six trucks at Parker, One truck at the Mint, and four entered for the upcoming Silver State 300. A few changes may bring some trucks back out to the desert.
ryan, just curious if this is agreat platform for a truck then why not convert your trucks to 7200 class rather then building a new one.

azjeepracer

does anyone have any photos of the trucks that were converted to 7200 duty, or have any info on what all was changed?I know there is atleats one around

DezertRaders

Sometimes I think shock upgrades would be nice, but in my opinion, the trucks work very good, just look at the finish times, and are very reliable.

StaatsRace1

ryan, just curious if this is agreat platform for a truck then why not convert your trucks to 7200 class rather then building a new one.
Have considered that with one of the Protrucks. Building one from the ground up would be ideal for a new up and coming class to me personally. Especially if Reggie is building it.

Western Motorsports

That would be great if Ivan made that statement. As a Protruck owner and Driver I can't tell you how frustrating it is to not be able to upgrade some of the components on the truck. The way the series is set up was that Protruck received the sponsor money and we had to pay for everything. There was a $ 100K purse to who ever won the Protruck Championship, that purse was along with any cash sponsors that you could dig up still wouldn't cover the cost, but it would certainly ease the burden. Well the 100K is gone so he needs to open up some of the specs, like tires and rims, light's and shocks so that we can go out and get them sponsored. I know that if it was made more affordable we might be able to entice a few more trucks out to the races.
It is a Great Truck to race and you can count on one thing, they finish races!

blacksheep

Have considered that with one of the Protrucks. Building one from the ground up would be ideal for a new up and coming class to me personally. Especially if Reggie is building it.
there is no doubt it will be one of the nicest, his work is first class

Random Thoughts Racing

There is better.
Quite true on the old shock internals, these have long ago been discontinued from all other production and remain in inventory for Protruck only.

Perhaps offering to open up the shocks up to all manufacturers who will drop the CA$H on a season points purse would bring in some added competition as well as infuse the much needed funds back into the class. Keep the 2.5 size so that there is little need to modify the chassis layout and no big increase in weight. I would be excited to put an updated Bilstein 60mm up against any other manufacturers 2.5".

Many of my favorite racers are in or have come from this class. And working with them for the last 4 years has been a great priveledge. Bring back the money, a few manufacturer grudge matches and the class will thrive.