• Forum membership has its advantages....

Modernized Pro truck

azjeepracer

How many current pro truck owners would come back if there were changes made to the class and the trucks were updated?

meatlog

Was he serious?
My dad, Bob Neth, was talking to a guy from Apex Racing and said he talked to Ivan about the idea and he said if he could get enough guys to go for it he might do it. If you are racing Silver State next weekend ask him about it. It would be bitchin' to make something happen.

meatlog

Sometimes I think shock upgrades would be nice, but in my opinion, the trucks work very good, just look at the finish times, and are very reliable.
I totally agree, though I think that serviceability and cost could be improved upon.

meatlog

i think we should take this oppertunity to make something happen, lets revive a great class
Indeed. Silver State is coming up next weekend. There are a few trucks entered and it's a Protruck points race so Ivan should be there. If he ain't, talk to my dad, he'll be doing tech. Everyone voice your opinion while you're truck is getting teched.

Random Thoughts Racing

How many current pro truck owners would come back if there were changes made to the class and the trucks were updated?
I think with a big payout a new crop of racers would come from other classes. The trucks that are currently prepped and ready to race are awaiting a better economy (mainly construction) for those racers to again campaign their trucks. Keep in mind those racers would need to secure sponsorships or pay for said updates to get rolling again so there would be a bit of a double hit at the outset.

bajaruner11

Keep in mind those racers would need to secure sponsorships or pay for said updates to get rolling again so there would be a bit of a double hit at the outset.

This is where the "grandfather" rule was meant to be used, keep the old parts on the books so to speak which allows teams the time for making updates as money allows. Change does not always welcome a win, it takes time to develop the new parts to the application.
With new shock technology onboard, it will take time, money, and effort to make it all perfect. However in the end it will pay off IMO, bottom
line is these are still really cool trucks with a ton of potential left in them for improvement, even in a spec class.

DezertRaders

If you think about it, for 100-150k, what other vehicle runs the times that a Pro-Truck does, and has the reliability of the Pro-Truck. My first race in one really blew me away. I would not change much, yes it would be nice not to service 10 shocks every race, but when I look at some of the other "New" classes and how much faster we are? Makes me wonder, Maybe I am way off base, but, Trophy-Lite vs Pro-Truck. It sucks that we don't have 15-20 Pro-Trucks scrapping it out.

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Not really, when it comes to the old bilsteins used on the ProTrucks. Bilstein is now 2 generations beyound the bypass shock currently spec'd on the ProTruck; if you ever have the opportunity to tear one apart you will see exactly why ProTruck needs to update the shocks.
There is better.
Quite true on the old shock internals, these have long ago been discontinued from all other production and remain in inventory for Protruck only.

Perhaps offering to open up the shocks up to all manufacturers who will drop the CA$H on a season points purse would bring in some added competition as well as infuse the much needed funds back into the class. Keep the 2.5 size so that there is little need to modify the chassis layout and no big increase in weight. I would be excited to put an updated Bilstein 60mm up against any other manufacturers 2.5".

Many of my favorite racers are in or have come from this class. And working with them for the last 4 years has been a great priveledge. Bring back the money, a few manufacturer grudge matches and the class will thrive.
per an email between Joel and myself:

"According to my information the first Protruck had 10 60mm shocks but no bypass. Bypass was allowed and various bypass adjuster components (2-3 generations) were introduced and paired with 7/16 tubing. At various points we discontinued weld top reservoirs, multi piece rod guide/ seal pack, 46/60mm piston adaptors etc. The current protruck shock components are not available in our catalog and many of the parts are no longer used in non protruck production.

There are no active teams that I know of taking full advantage of the current shock allowances. Protruck valving development is a bit slow because of the work involved in getting the front shocks on and off and the touchiness of the chassis to making to much of a change."

Guys arent taking full advantage of what they have yet there is a recommendation of changing to different "newer" technology? That technology is readily available off the shelf from bilstein for existing pro truck shocks and people arent using it.

DezertRaders

I am definitely not a expert, but our truck is dialed in extremely well. Craig Stewart has done a fantastic job with the Blower Racing 1263 truck. I don't believe we could get more performance out of the chassis, maybe less expense in prep. My only complaint would be the brakes, even with the CNC brakes, its seems a little lacking at a 100+

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
I am definitely not a expert, but our truck is dialed in extremely well. Craig Stewart has done a fantastic job with the Blower Racing 1263 truck. I don't believe we could get more performance out of the chassis, maybe less expense in prep. My only complaint would be the brakes, even with the CNC brakes, its seems a little lacking at a 100+
My point exactly. I dont think opening up shock mfg's is going to bring anymore competitors unless a mfg puts up a 10k per race purse or something big, new "technology" shocks wont make the trucks any faster given same upper and lower mounts and its going to be an 8-10k expense when the idea of this was to make them stronger, safer, and faster and maybe even cheaper using current "technology".

Rob Martensen

I drove a protruck for Apex Racing in the 2007 Baja 1000, 2008 Parker, Baja 500 and Vegas to Reno. Since then I drove a Jimco class 10 and a class 6 in the 2009 Baja 1000. I have also recently driven class 12 and 1600 cars, and my personal opinion is the the protruck is way more fun that any of those. Of course it is dated technology, but at least we all know that everyone has the same stuff. I think the biggest problem is the engines. They cost $20K for a good one but they can run on pump gas. They get 2-3 miles per gallon with a 40 gallon cell, that is a lot of pit stops. This requires more chase people, which equals more hotels, etc.. Plus we pay north of $10/gallon for race fuel, but the truck will run on Pemex. Not saying we need to run on Pemex, but a crate motor that gets 5+ MPG would cut down the number of stops and the cost of fuel. You wouldn't necessarily have to change the size of the cell. Apex did talk to Ivan about the shocks. His response was that it would cost around $25K to upgrade the shocks, mounts, etc. No one has an extra $25K laying around, so that's not going to happen. But he did say that if he got 5 protruck owners to sign a letter agreeing to the shock change, he would consider it. I love the protruck and I know a lot of guys that are household names in the sport that love them also. It's worth trying to save, IMO.