Mohave trail

Pee Wee

Reaction
They did a clean out of the evasive bamboo stuff that was growing in the wash and the water level has been a non event ever since. It used to get pretty bad. We alway ran a longer southern route to Laughlin that was around 10 to 20 miles south of the Mojave Trail Eastbound just to keep from having wet boots all day. Then splash the water Sunday on the way home.

pappawheely

O.G. Photo
Reaction
Website
www.mikesracephoto.com
Small world! We saw the black 4-Runner sitting at Cima Road on Saturday. We ran the trail Thrus/Fri to Laughlin from Barstow with a big group, then three of us took it back, Laughlin to Barstow, on Saturday.

I remember seeing you guys at Cima rd. I was in the 4Runner.

KevinT4R

Reaction
StuMojave 541.jpg

You can do the Mojave Trail with a 2WD, but I wouldn't do it solo. There's plenty of deep sand to get buried in.

If you must do it solo 2WD, go on a weekend so you'll have a chance of flagging down help if you get stuck.

Last weekend (I was with Mike in the 4Runner) we bypassed the lakebed, taking Kelbaker Road to I-15 and then getting back in to the dirt at Rasor Road.

chip11

Reaction
Going camping this weekend to Hole in the Wall campground. Leaving tomorrow morning (Thursday) thru Sunday. I'm planning day trips along the trail. The campground is on Essex rd, 20 miles north of the 40. If anybody goes out, look for my green cherokee.

bomber

Reaction
Glad to hear the water crossings are now/getting less severe. And from the looks of it in the stuck Ranger pic, momentum is going to be key. Hopefully I have 33's by the time I go to do this with my F1.

Keep the pictures coming! I'm using this thread to build interest for my group of friends to get a trip going. Thanks

Beat98TJ

Reaction
Can a 2wd 2008 F150 with Bilstein 5100's (2" lift basically) running 31" AT's make it? :D

Yes. My stock wj and a 2wd crew cab long bed f350 have done it. Bring a buddy in case. The dry lake would concern me if it's wet.

Pee Wee

Reaction
Yes. My stock wj and a 2wd crew cab long bed f350 have done it. Bring a buddy in case. The dry lake would concern me if it's wet.
More than a concern for crossing is how much time you spend washing the toxic mud off your rig, defiantly not worth crossing when wet just cut out at Rasor and drive to Baker then cut back in at the dirt not far out of town that runs right to the North end of the lake you won't miss a thing.

HSDMORGAN

Reaction
Website
www.trioformulas.com
Anyone have a resent GPS download of the Mojave trail or know where I can get one? I want to try & go from Barstow to Laughlin this weekend. 4-13-13. Any help is much appreciated.

M_Solms

Reaction
Website
www.facebook.com

McLeod

Reaction
Has anyone ever traveled the mohave trail? Where does it start and end? I want to travel the trail and i would like to get anyones insight. Thanks.

Did the ride three weeks ago with twenty bikes and one baja bug. We went from Barstow to the Avi, spent the night and returned the next day. The trail is not marked all that well and several in our group took several wrong paths. Lots of soft sand, hanging cactus that like to grab you, and some pretty wooped out sections. Riders ranged from 14 on a quad to 60 on a bike so we covered the range on talent. First group finished in about eight hours and the last straglers in about 14 hours. You do need a licensed vehicle, and we came across rangers twice, both times at road crossings. They let the quad go with a warning and told him to stay off the road, but were good guys. Bring spares, multiple flats, one broken hub, and a toasted motor, but aside from sore rear ends it was a great ride. Anything more than four riders you are supposed to have a permit.

Pee Wee

Reaction
Did the ride three weeks ago with twenty bikes and one baja bug. We went from Barstow to the Avi, spent the night and returned the next day. The trail is not marked all that well and several in our group took several wrong paths. Lots of soft sand, hanging cactus that like to grab you, and some pretty wooped out sections. Riders ranged from 14 on a quad to 60 on a bike so we covered the range on talent. First group finished in about eight hours and the last straglers in about 14 hours. You do need a licensed vehicle, and we came across rangers twice, both times at road crossings. They let the quad go with a warning and told him to stay off the road, but were good guys. Bring spares, multiple flats, one broken hub, and a toasted motor, but aside from sore rear ends it was a great ride. Anything more than four riders you are supposed to have a permit.

You sure did run into cool Rangers if they let oversize group and no plate vehicles slide by.

McLeod

Reaction
Pee Wee; We broke the group up so it didn't look like one big one and most of the bikes were legal. The one's that weren't waited back at crossings and didn't go untill clear. The ranger with the quad I don't think had the heart to ruin a day with a father son trip. It helped to be really polite! I'm not saying break the rules, we were just dumb lucky.

johnboy

Reaction
AVI to Baker is only 2.5 hours on the bikes with a couple stops if you simply press a bit on the return trip. We usually take our time West to East, then for the most part press a bit on the way back. Can be sitting at home by noon catching NASCAR.

M_Solms

Reaction
Website
www.facebook.com
How long does this trail take in a 2wd mid traveled truck and small group realistically? Is it worth making it a two day trip and camping out there?

We did 3 days last year and going again this year.
We stopped at a lot of the normal spots and took a few side trips.
3 great days in the desert,can't wait to go back.

van1-2.jpg

Pee Wee

Reaction
How long does this trail take in a 2wd mid traveled truck and small group realistically? Is it worth making it a two day trip and camping out there?

If you move along there is no reason you can't run the whole deal in 8 to 10 hours. I have done it many times on bikes, in a buggy, and a Jeep without ever camping.
Most folks cut out Manix Wash out of Barstow anyway which cuts it down to about 120 miles.