Mohave trail

Fourstroker

RDC Crypto
We did 3 days last year and going again this year.
We stopped at a lot of the normal spots and took a few side trips.
3 great days in the desert,can't wait to go back.

van1-2.jpg

Ive done it as a 2 day and 3 day trip with the kids. Loved every minute of it but like Pee Wee says it can easily be done in a day

DirtWorshiper

RDC Crypto
I really want to do this trail on one of my vacations. I know a group of Toyota guys that go all the time and they love it.

Fourstroker

RDC Crypto
Doing it again this weekend. Driving to Laughlin Thursday night taking 3 days to do it. Taking some friends that haven't been before so were gonna see all the sites. I will let you guys know what the weather/trail looks like. I know some RDC peeps are planning to do it right before Rage at the River

Pee Wee

RDC Crypto
Doing it again this weekend. Driving to Laughlin Thursday night taking 3 days to do it. Taking some friends that haven't been before so were gonna see all the sites. I will let you guys know what the weather/trail looks like. I know some RDC peeps are planning to do it right before Rage at the River

Enjoy. Weather should get a little cooler.

Sent from my iPad using race-deZert mobile app

dislocated1

RDC Crypto
Always a good time on the night runs to Rage at the River.... havent done a full touristy camping trip on the trail in years..... I want to spend more time exporing soon

!11225338_10153500387698884_5236155455428688220_n.jpg 12316637_10153500393748884_663115339943470522_n.jpg 12366232_10153500386698884_8362430023523905218_n.jpg

Fourstroker

RDC Crypto
Cool story Stuck. We plan to camp at the same 5400' spot this weekend. its a great spot

Josh 8

RDC Crypto
Cool story Stuck. We plan to camp at the same 5400' spot this weekend. its a great spot

I know that spot. Hidden right up there in the rocks and junipers. Right off that road that runs east and west. I always leave some extra wood there by the fire pit for the next guy.

IMG_0497.JPG
IMG_0498.JPG
IMG_0499.JPG

And this camp site too. That's Wally from advanced machine in the pic.

Fourstroker

RDC Crypto
Back and unwinded. Had a blast. Weather was pretty much perfect all 3 days. Drove to Laughlin Thursday night, topped off fuel at the Avi and pushed about 4 miles out on the trail to camp. Friday we drove to Rock Springs area and camped within walking distance of Government Holes with stops at Fort Pahute, couple of mines, the Penny Can, Rock Springs including the new detour around the Pahutes. Made a wrong turn on the detour and ended up in a super tight, fun wash. If you are in a well equipped, non-stock vehicle You could still take the normal route through the Pahutes. Otherwise, take the detour its pretty easy and still fun. Saturday we drove all the way to Razor Road area with stops at Marl Springs, the Mailbox, an trail trip to the Lava Tubes (really cool BTW), a sand dune near Soda Lake for the kids to play on and camped north of the main trail off Razor Road. Sunday we made are way to Afton (about 20 miles) and then home. Water was above the bottom of the door at Afton Campground but passable even in 2wd. No major issues on the trail but we did get a flat on the highway headed home and noticed blown out shocks on one of the trucks on the way home. Note that all 3 trucks were stock vehicles and 1 was 2wd. Ill post some photos when I go through my stuff but the trail will be in great shape for the RATR trip. Cant wait til the next time!!

IMG_0677.JPG IMG_0679.JPG IMG_0683.JPG IMG_0687.JPG IMG_0704.JPG IMG_0725.JPG IMG_0730.JPG IMG_0737.JPG IMG_0742.JPG

RosenberryC

RDC Crypto
Had a friend run this, this weekend. He said it was a blast and would definitely do it again. Reason I didn't go.....I have a buggy and have always been under the impression you have to have a street legal vehicle. But I've seen the video of the trophy kart tackling it and my friend said first day on the trail two buggies came at them with AZ plates headed towards AZ. Now is that legal or not???? My car is licensed and registered in AZ I also have a current insurance policy. Need to know if I am legal or not??? I didn't even consider going because I don't want the grief of getting caught if it is not allowed. If you don't know, does anyone know who I could call to talk to about this???

Thanks, Chris

y2kbaja

RDC Crypto
Thank you for not just going and asking the question first. This is a protected area and the last thing we don't want is it closed because too many people are out there with non-legal vehicles. It's such an awesome road to run.
There is a ranger station at Kelso. The number is 760 252-6108. I would call them and ask. And get specifics if they say no. For example, street legal buggies in AZ may not be legal in CA. But are they legal in the dirt in CA?

RosenberryC

RDC Crypto
No Problem. I know this is sort of a gem.

It is odd how some things apply differently. In Cal-City they considered my car street legal and didn't I didn't even have to pay for the permit. I did anyways to support the park, but because I was plated they didn't care either way. In Pismo they said I was totally fine without a green sticker just go buy the out of state ohv permit. I am hoping I can work something out after seeing how fun this trip could be. Can't wait to hear my buddies experience in person. Been a few other places like Nevada and played several times in Barstow and there has never been a problem. Ranger came right up and didn't say a word but asked how we were doing.

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
RDC Crypto
If your vehicle is street legal...its legal. If it squeaked by in some other state and is not really street legal, you may run into a ranger thats a prick and get a bunch of tickets or worse yet impounded/towed but thats becuase the vehicle really isnt street legal. The rangers/blm are not above the law but if your rig isnt to the law, they can do as they please in accordance of the law. Plated vehicles never need to pay OHV sticker fees, pismo was wrong in asking you to pay an out of state OHV if your vehicle was street legal with a plate. The out of state fee for using CA OHV areas is for OHV's not street legal vehicle fees.

Fourstroker

RDC Crypto
The difference between this road and Barstow is that they treat them as roads not trails. Nothing requires street legal in Barstow for instance.

Also keep in mind the first 20ish miles and the last 25 miles are outside the preserve and your car is 100% legal there. But none of it is in AZ where you are plated.

I did the trail over 3 days a week ago. Saw one group of plated bikes on Saturday. Everybody else I saw was in street driven cars/trucks

RosenberryC

RDC Crypto
Thank you for not just going and asking the question first. This is a protected area and the last thing we don't want is it closed because too many people are out there with non-legal vehicles. It's such an awesome road to run.
There is a ranger station at Kelso. The number is 760 252-6108. I would call them and ask. And get specifics if they say no. For example, street legal buggies in AZ may not be legal in CA. But are they legal in the dirt in CA?

Thank you for posting the Ranger Station Contact Number. I will be giving them a call at some point to ask.

If your vehicle is street legal...its legal. If it squeaked by in some other state and is not really street legal, you may run into a ranger thats a prick and get a bunch of tickets or worse yet impounded/towed but thats becuase the vehicle really isnt street legal. The rangers/blm are not above the law but if your rig isnt to the law, they can do as they please in accordance of the law. Plated vehicles never need to pay OHV sticker fees, pismo was wrong in asking you to pay an out of state OHV if your vehicle was street legal with a plate. The out of state fee for using CA OHV areas is for OHV's not street legal vehicle fees.

That's the trouble. I am good in AZ but I know for a fact I cannot run on the road in CA. I just want some solid info from experienced people or the law. If I can't go I won't, but if I can I want to check it out and not as a passenger.

The difference between this road and Barstow is that they treat them as roads not trails. Nothing requires street legal in Barstow for instance.

Also keep in mind the first 20ish miles and the last 25 miles are outside the preserve and your car is 100% legal there. But none of it is in AZ where you are plated.

I did the trail over 3 days a week ago. Saw one group of plated bikes on Saturday. Everybody else I saw was in street driven cars/trucks

Yep and that's what I bet is legal out there. And for sure I know none of it is in AZ.

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
RDC Crypto
from nps.gov

"All vehicles operating within Mojave National Preserve must be street-legal in accordance with California DMV requirements. This includes current registration and tags, lights and turn signals, and valid insurance. California "Green Sticker" and "Red Sticker" programs are not recognized with the preserve."

RosenberryC

RDC Crypto
WaaWaWaaaaaa

Thanks Kritter.............for what I don't know but thanks..........haha

On a serious note Thanks For Posting that info Kritter. Don't want to piss anyone off and definitely don't want tickets or fines.