Mojave Desert Maps

tim_krueger

Reaction
What is the best map to use when navigating the Mojave Desert arias used by MDR?
I found a BLM Ownership Map type online (see attachment of “the wall” aria) but I don’t know ware to buy a bigger version.
The BLM also has a Desert Access Map. I haven’t found any examples of this type of map to see if it is useful. Are there any other types of maps that show access roads and or trails? What map does MDR use? What maps do you use? And no I don’t have GPS yet.

Thanks
Tim

Attachments

ntsqd

Reaction
The BLM Desert Access Guides (maps) can be purchased from the BLM office in B-Stow, the Ridgecrest office, or Jawbone Station. Jawbone is now open 7 days a week. The BLM offices are only open on weekdays, but you can call them and have them shipped to you with a credit card. I highly recommend making the drive to Jawbone as they have a lot of other info there too. Plus, you'll probably have to stop at Cal City going one or both ways, and that would be a shame.

The maps cost $4 each. The "Newberry Springs" and "Big Bear Lake" maps cover the Lucerne course area. The Ridgecrest course area is covered by the "Ridgecrest" and "Cuddeback Lake" maps. The B-Stow course area should be covered by the "Victorville" map. I have the first four maps, but I don't have the "Victorville" map.

I also use the DeLorme So CA Atlas. Nearly any bookstore either has those or can get them.

Where did you find the map you attached ?

martininsocal

Reaction
Tim- that is actually a scanned pic of a plastic Topo map in what looks to be about 1:24,000 scale. YOu can get Topomaps of just about anywhere at most adventure/sporting goods stores. You will have to know the quad you want. Another good map for close in stuff in the Thomas Brothers County maps. They actually have good detailed maps of most of Johnson and Stoddard Valleys. I think most BLM local offices will have quad maps available of the areas they serve. You can getthem more detailed too, like 1:7,500 or less detailed like 1:100.000.

Wayne_Nosala

Reaction
DeLorme makes some pretty cool 3d map software. I bought it at a book store
a couple of years ago, back then it was VERY detailed. You can even zoom in on
mountin ranges & details of the desert were pretty good. Im sure by now
its even better. (it looks very similar to that map)
Wayne

tim_krueger

Reaction
ntsqd i found the map at www.landvoyage.com
i signed up for the free 1 hour trial
i found the arias i wanted and was able to compare them to the gps points MDR has published for the Lucerne 300
there was only so much i could do in 1 hour and the largest BLM Ownership map i could print was 1:100,000 scale and this didn't cover the whole course

thanks for all the info
ill head to Thomas bros in Irvine tomorrow
and also ill look for one of those DeLorme So CA Atlas’s
if anyone else has advice please post

thanks
tim

Dave_G

Reaction
Wayne,
I use Maptech Terrain Navigator with the 3-D option and I also added the 3-D aerial photo option they just came out with a few months back. The 3-D photo option was on sale for $99 to current users so I stepped up and it's really pretty good. But for the most part I don't use Maptech's operating system to view their digital maps. Fugawi is a much better operating system that lets you import anyones maps including your own which you can custom calibrate.

http://www.fugawi.com

Dave

martininsocal

Reaction
Ok, heres a secret I will let out, Go to LandAuctions.com(I think thats the site). They always have land for sale in Lucerne and Barstow and they have aerial photos of each parcel that you can zoom in and out with. It is cool to see the racing lines that get put down after a race through their view. You can learn some cool stuff by checking out the courses after the race.

Martin

ntsqd

Reaction
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Go to LandAuctions.com

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope, something close ?