Mojave Road Run April 2020

GGRR 4555

Does anybody have interest in running Mojave road on the third weekend of April?

Looking to run with a decently fast group of rigs (no Side x Sides or overlanding). I'll be driving my Ultra-4 Modified class Jeep. Nothing fancy but looking to drive fairly hard for what it is.

Maybe we will all be dead from Corona Virus by then LOL. Let me know if you are interested, or tell me I am dumb for trying to do an off-road trip during the apocalypse!
IMG_6708.JPG

y2kbaja

1) need to make it low key. They have a 5-vehicle max or you'll need a permit
2) street legal only to make the whole run.

GGRR 4555

1) need to make it low key. They have a 5-vehicle max or you'll need a permit
2) street legal only to make the whole run.

Very good to know on both! I have not run it before so hoping a couple people are interested that have done it before. I will keep people updated when we hit the 5 vehicle limit. My jeep has plates so should be good there.

y2kbaja

It's a really fun road and needs to really be overnighted not to miss the cool features. We usually bomb it to Laughlin for a cheap room and buffet then bomb back to Barstow and home that night. In the two or three times we've done it we've taken in different side trips. Still so much to explore.

punchdrunk monkey

I would be interested in doing it. I have a Ford Raptor. PM me the info.

MAC56

We went from Afton to Razor on the 8th of march, the water hazard created by the BLM was not good, long and deeppast halfway, I would not do that again as the lead vehicle. I was first in my Raptor an it want to the top of the hood! The water I pushed downstream made it a little better for the Fj following.

Attachments

Mannysgalaxy

Might want to wait till May. Trust me you dont want to get stuck in the middle of that lakebed. Esp at 5pm on a Sunday. :)

I love that area always down.

GGRR 4555

Yikes! That water is no Joke.

Thank you for the interest Punch Drunk Monkey, but i think I will probably need to delay this trip. The shelter at home guidelines are going to make it especially hard for me to roll down the highway in a jeep clearly not on the way to the grocery store.

I think we will postpone this run until further notice. Wild times.

Yikes! That water is no Joke.

Thank you for the interest Punch Drunk Monkey, but i think I will probably need to delay this trip. The shelter at home guidelines are going to make it especially hard for me to roll down the highway in a jeep clearly not on the way to the grocery store.

I think we will postpone this run until further notice. Wild times.
Did you ever make this run?

GGRR 4555

Sadly no. I didn't have any takers on it. Now I cut the Jeep in half to build a new 4 link/cage/ shock package so I will be under the knife for a while.

Is there any interest in getting a couple people for a run when it cools off. Im thinking camp on the west side Friday night, Laughlin Saturday night and back on sunday. Needs to be a small group per the 5 max above.

Fifty

I know im going to try to put a family oriented group run when it cools.
The plus on the run will be: families with young kids (So not as much hard charging, stops and breaks and site seeing associated with how kids work etc). Probably 3 nights... it’s hard to pack up the whole family, drive far to camp for one night. No site seeing, just pounding freeway miles then dirt miles then freeway miles.
The cons will be that if you want to do a super fast run that’s typical of most of the ROC, Expo, etc groups, you will hate it.

ive got 2 other families that are on board that have never done Mojave road. One in a built vehicle the other in a full stock raptor. One is going to tow a offroad trailer the other is going to tent it.

I will probably modify a utility trailer to run the same wheels/tires as my truck and pull that so I can carry all the extra stuff required to keep kids out of trouble.... and the wife happy...

Team Todo En

I've run it probably a dozen times now over 20 years and always enjoy it. We ran it the first weekend of May this covid year. Started off road at Bell Mtn and got on the Mojave Road by Rasor Rd. and ran it to the end, then kept going on the other side of the river all the way to Temple Bar, AZ on Lake Mead. Spent the night by one of the rock piles off Black Canyon Rd. Great trip. We plan on doing it next year around the same time, before it gets too hot.

Attachments

I dont mind going slow and checking out the sights. Are you going to go one way on dirt and the other back on the freeway? I am street legal but its not really made for long freeway miles I trailer to the trail heads.

Fifty

I dont mind going slow and checking out the sights. Are you going to go one way on dirt and the other back on the freeway? I am street legal but its not really made for long freeway miles I trailer to the trail heads.
If you are talking to me, I prefer to stay on the trail!!

I wouldn’t mind doing the trail there and back. I need to do research and planning. I’ve never done the trail at all.
I am a bit of an over planner (byproduct Of my last two careers... professional worrier)

but yea, it would be awesome to make the run one way, and then talk about spots we could skip on the way back and spots we would like to see again and spend more time at.

If you are talking to me, I prefer to stay on the trail!!

I wouldn’t mind doing the trail there and back. I need to do research and planning. I’ve never done the trail at all.
I am a bit of an over planner (byproduct Of my last two careers... professional worrier)

but yea, it would be awesome to make the run one way, and then talk about spots we could skip on the way back and spots we would like to see again and spend more time at.
Ive done it once before from Laughlin going west. I think we found 7 different stops over 2 days. Camped one night at about the half way point. A couple of the stops you could skip for sure. I have gps files for the main trail but there are tons of off shoots and different ways to start and end the trail. There are also tons of resources online if you do some google searching.

Fifty

Yea. I’m a geek for old buildings etc etc. so those will Definitly be on my list.
My daughter likes cool rock formation stuff. So then there is that.

so i have a feeling there will be a lot. To be honest, I wouldn’t mind camping twice each way. And doing some exploring from base camps.