• Forum membership has its advantages....

Mojave Road

jackassracing89

Headed down from Nor Cal this Thursday for my best friends Bachelor party. . 3 trucks total, starting at the beginning and headed all the way to Laughlin for the BITD race. Question is, Has anyone here been on it in the last few weeks? Ive heard the couple river crossings can be kinda deep, and also there is a detour due to a wash out on the road.
Thanks in advance.

M_Solms

Headed down from Nor Cal this Thursday for my best friends Bachelor party. . 3 trucks total, starting at the beginning and headed all the way to Laughlin for the BITD race. Question is, Has anyone here been on it in the last few weeks? Ive heard the couple river crossings can be kinda deep, and also there is a detour due to a wash out on the road.
Thanks in advance.
Some friends did it a couple weeks ago and said water was low.

Sent from the RDC Mobile App. Get it for your IOS device today

y2kbaja

Chicken! You'll be fine.

mgobaja

I did a majority of it with Y2kBaja a few months back, had an absolute blast. Yes there was a deep water crossing at the start, but one at a time, cruising slowly and nobody had any issues in the water.

Fourstroker

That's the only water crossing I can remember and Ive done it a few times. Most of our rigs were 2wd also

mgobaja

Sweet! thanks guys, and thanks to Y2kbaja, (also my co worker) i have a awesome route laid out.
He laid out the route we did. The river bed not far from the big waster crossing was lots of fun too, mostly a few inches deep, but also some pools with water a bit deeper, those were fun at speed.

race-desert

Afton canyon camp ground is where they are talking about "lots of water" some years there is 2" of water and other years there is 2 feet of water! in the 30 + years of going out to that area, 2' of water in the one crossing is very, very few! if the you want to avoid the water you can go in off the 15 on basin road and catch trail! but you miss the drive thru Afton canyon, which is well worth it.
this to me is what is consider a lot of water here!
SAND DUNES 20030020.jpg

Pee Wee

Keep an eye on the weather. If it rains within a few days of your trip don't cross Soda Lake, that goo is nasty.

mgobaja

I had water to the bottom of my front marker lights while in the middle, with no wake being made, and they are 33" from the ground.

We also skipped the Soda Dry Lake, skirted it, got on the 15 fwy north bound at Rasor road, then back off the hwy at the Kelso exit in Baker.

Cris Lepiz

I'm hearing a portion of it might be closed for an unknown amount of time. There however is a detour that is a bit longer that can get you around it.

y2kbaja

Yes, the Fort Piute end going over the pass is washed out. Not sure when it's reopening. There are 2 or 3 detours around it. Going west to east turn on Lanfair Rd and head south following the reroute back to Fort Piute (29-mile reroute) or you can continue south to Goff and reroute on the HWY back to MR. The other is a dirt reroute that's only 13 miles and runs thru Leiser Rey Mine.

bomber

I did it Feb '15 and am doing it May 13-15 from Laughlin to Barstow again, and just looked up the info about the closed section.

I recommend getting the book from Desert USA: Mojave Road in the Mojave desert - DesertUSA
Also, their detour is written just like the book, is shorter, and is more interesting than the Nat'l Park Service's: http://www.mdhca.org/images/20160425_Leiser_Rae_Detour_Road_Log-Final_USGS.pdf

As for the water crossing, which sometimes have no water in them at all, stock trucks can make it through no problem as long as you don't go too fast or too slow. Steady pace keeps a wake in front of the truck and prevents water from going up into the engine bay worse than if you go to slow or too fast. Here's my 2WD F150 doing it last year:
Good luck and have fun!

bomber

Just curious, is this trail open to bikes as well or only 4 wheel vehicles?
Street legal vehicles, no green or red stickers technically, tho I've heard of plenty of off road only vehicles going through it without issues. When I went last year we didn't see a single Ranger.

Pee Wee

If the gas line road is closed there is a really cool route you can catch down Lanfair Rd down by Goffs that picks the trail up again before 95. Can be found on most maps.