Momo Thumb Buttons

DesertGuy1

Reaction
On the momo Mod 80 steering wheel, I noticed they come with the thumb buttons already mounted for electrics. When using steering wheels without these, what have most found to be the most durable push button for a similar application regarding size and placement?

Thanks

A&SCHASE1

Hero
Reaction
we have the same wheel in our race car without the ptt buttons. so we use the pci velcro ptt button and it works great!!..

DesertGuy1

Reaction
I hear ya on the PCI ptt button, I used one on my last project with good results. I ended up using the panel mount button for the steering wheel. That will be the "fall-back" choice if I cannot find another smaller option...

punchdrunk monkey

Reaction
I use the velcro one. It times it would move around or turn (button on the back of steering wheel). A solid mounted one would be nice.

PSmith

Reaction
bump for being on a similar quest of a 'perfect switch' for a virgin undrilled and unbuttoned steering wheel.

the wheel is too thick for a the panel mount buttons PCI sells and every other 'quality' momentary switch i've sourced is too big.

thanks in advance for any help.

07FJRog

Reaction
we even use the momo style switches for a starter button and PTT on the HRT ProKarts, they work great.. Anyone know where to get them besides MOMO?

I use the velcro wrap one for PTT in the racer Rhino I use, no issues and no holes in the steering wheel. :)

DesertGuy1

Reaction
PSmith, that PTT button looks similar but as I remember, the one on the steering wheel had a black "collar" at its base. That may have been a beauty ring and not the switch itself. PCI should be able to answer that as it was a standard switch in their intercom comm. package.

I picked up these PTT buttons and will give them a try. They seem well constructed and durable (aluminum housing as opposed to plastic). They are the Sigtronics PTT button that is commonly found in fire engines and similar. They have about a .20" allowable area for "sandwiching" onto a steering wheel. I will post a pic once installed.... if all goes well.

Sigtronic PTT (#100177)

jeff

Reaction
How large of a mounting hole does the Sigtronic PTT require? I went to their website, at least I think it was their website, and saw no specs listed for the switch. Where did you buy the switches? Thanks!

Aloha

Nevermind... I found it: They say maximum panel thickness is 3/16" and the hole diameter is 5/8"

DesertGuy1

Reaction
After picking up the steering wheel (Momo Commando) and seeing the extra foam that is shaped on the "spokes", I didn't want to cut into it for the PTT buttons. Developed this adapter that will be powdercoated to house the PTT's; the PTT's are accessible from both molded hand positions and spaced enough to prevent catching a glove on the adapter.

Thanks to Craig at R&I for always doing an awesome job on the laser cutting...

Msquared

Reaction
That is a great looking piece. Are you going to produce those and sell? PM me with more info. I am a master distributor for Momo and these would be a great alternative for some of the less expensive steering wheels. I get asked all the time about PTT buttons because the Mod.80 wheel is so pricey.

scary fast hummer

Reaction
That is COOL! I could use one for my Momo. Let me ask a related question for this august body; how, or do you, disconnect the buttons/cords from the wheel/dash if you want to take the wheel with you somewhere (security; can't exactly steal a truck easy if it ain't got that round thing on the column!)

Cheers!

PSmith

Reaction
That is a great looking piece. Are you going to produce those and sell? PM me with more info. I am a master distributor for Momo and these would be a great alternative for some of the less expensive steering wheels. I get asked all the time about PTT buttons because the Mod.80 wheel is so pricey.
sparco already makes something similar, not quite as flashy though.

http://www.ltbmotorsports.com/spexhobukit.html

Msquared

Reaction
That is COOL! I could use one for my Momo. Let me ask a related question for this august body; how, or do you, disconnect the buttons/cords from the wheel/dash if you want to take the wheel with you somewhere (security; can't exactly steal a truck easy if it ain't got that round thing on the column!)

Cheers!
You can just use a Duestch or Weather Pack connector when you attach everything. They have a quick disconnect feature and are weather proof.

scary fast hummer

Reaction
That looks cool, but when you crash and have the steering wheel jerk from one side to the other that thing would do some serious damage to your thumbs.
Not to be pedantic Jeff, but I would hope that your thumbs are on the outside of the wheel anyway. Maybe its just those of us who grew up driving big old ocean liner vehicles without power steering, but I was schooled to keep the thumbs out of the wheel if you wanted to keep them attached to your hands :D

DesertGuy1

Reaction
Jeff, that is a thought but how the Commando wheel and adapter is built it would be VERY difficult to get your thumbs behind it. That being said, like the Ol' saying goes..."Never say Never"... especially if you had a "death grip" on the wheel.;):D:D I am still playing around with different configurations and button placement for the final adapter I will use. After how much those wheels are, I dont want to go hacking into the foam if an alternative is available and I am not really a fan of "off-the-shelf" stuff that everyone would have. Also, the Sigtronic PTT seems to be very well built as opposed to an all plastic button and would like to use those... and I already have them.

As far as "security removal", I am looking into this sort of option...

Attachments

JoeyD23

Reaction
Sparco makes this PTT set up that my buddy just installed in his Rhino....

[/QUOTE]

I have the Momo Mod80 pictured on the first post of this thread. I plan to wire one for PTT and the other for the Horn.....