Monster trucks,

fathead

Went tonight, had a good time, the track kinda sucked for the monster trucks.
The bad news is our own Brian Cannon put his truck on it's lid right after the start.
Did some damage to the roof but he drove out under his own power with the crowd cheering him on.. Damn, the one guy I was cheering for...

it was good to see brian cannon and dan perry representin.

anyone know who owns and where from the white V-8 toyota is from? that truck looked nice from the nose bleed seats.

BAPerf

How did Jeff Huseman do in his primered Ranger? I saw them loading it up on friday. Jeff said they were heading out in the late AM Saturday.

Brian

BAPerf

I just found out that Jeff's truck wasn't allowed to race. It was deemed unsafe!

Apperently the cage must be 1.75" not 1.5" like CORR. They also said that he had to have a rear window! Oh well?!?

Brian

bajaruner11

I was there also, tuning for Dann and working on the set up on the truck. Sorry to see what happened to Brian Cannon, I really felt bad for him because in qualifing the truck went on it's roof very mildly, and in the main it landed on it, both times same jump. I know brian was working on a new rear spring set up and that jump gave allot of people trouble, it had a second lip on it two feet taller than the ramp you just lifted off of. As you hit the down side the lip was where the rear tire landed, and unless you cleared to whole thing your going to hit it. I know brian will be back with a vengance watch out!!
I am proud to say that Dann did set fast time of the event with a 20.22 sec lap, and giving the V-8 4-wheel drive ranger/s-10/jeep guys something to talk about. In the semi final though the starters made a mistake putting dann in the wrong lane (he had lane choice!) and to top it off the starter put his hand up closed fist and put a hold on Dann just as the light went green. Dann honored his move, let the truck idle down and held. However there should not have been a hold and the other guy left on the green putting Dann in fourth overall. He had a chance of making it to the top. As they say thats racing maybe next time. As for Huseman sorry he didn't make the show, I'm not to partial to there rule book either, it makes no sense mechanically speaking. V-8 ranger/S-10? when did the factory do that? I know Geoff from Giant also tried to make the show but they would not let him in just because the truck they brought had the frame back halfed. TOTAL B.S...! they need to wake up and get there rule book figured out it's about 20 years behind.

Last edited:

hxckidd

It was a good time to be had at monster trucks. The quad wars were lame, and watching the stadium trucks was the best part. Like matt said that v-8 yota looked nice.

hey Steve, did you get a chance to look at that white V-8 toyota? or talk to the guy? the truck looked cool as hell.

bajaruner11

Matt
I didn't talk to the guy but I did look at the truck a little. It has a small block chev in it looks to be originally a 4-wheel drive but it now 2. coil overs in front, leafs in back, and a custom dash. I think the guys name is Micheal Karlson. Yeah very clean truck!!

bajaruner11

Yep 1 3/4 chromo. I think 1 1/2 .120 chromoly or DOM is plenty for the smaller trucks, mild steel well maybe depending on cage gussets, and quality, but your getting close to the line. I don't know what tube type Huseman had, but I know the Huseman's are about quality if they had all the other safety stuff in tacked he should have been allowed to race! I guess USHRA does not want to get any bigger or don't need the biz. It's a shame.

Last edited:
yeah deffinetly. seems pretty lame for sure. and it seems in the past that they used let anything race. i remember seeing some scary-a$$ hickory stick fabbed trucks running at those events with cages made out out of schedule 40 and muffler tubing. pretty scary that my truck wouldnt be allowed to race there. waj.

BAPerf

Jeff's truck is 1.5" x .120 DOM except for a few non-structural tubes that are .095". I think I would rather be in Jeff's truck than quite a few others that have rolled at the ROR. I will admit that his truck has only the minimum amount of tubing, as they looked to have a purpose for every tube in the thing! Oh, well.

On a side note, congrats to Dan Perry! Did Dan add a rear window to Kevin's old truck? Where would you put it on that truck?

Brian

bajaruner11

Brian
The rear window in Dann's truck is made of polycarbonite (Lexan) and is zip tied in to the cage only for the USHRA events. They deam this as acceptable.

JrSyko

Jerry Maguire
Matt,

Is the V8 Toyota you are talking about the one that was for sale on here awhile back? On piece hood, with a big painting on it, c/o in front, leafs in back, riding on Goodyear MT/R's. It was the same guy who had that red white and blue Bronco w/ c/o's and a four link on BFG mudders?

I can't remember when it was for sale or where else I saw it, but I know its on here.

no Travis, that was the "no weak links" truck that was mostly built by dufco i think. had a TC kit on the front and 62's and was a 4wd chassis.

this truck was similar but sat alot lower. it was a 2wd chassis also. super clean looking truck.