Moondust

BoothPacific Films

Reaction
you guys call it silt. we call it moondust. either way its a pain in the but. i'm starting this thread because the other thread that tried to deal with the problem of slower cars and dust you can't see through got closed. so without the silly name calling and without pointing fingers how do you guys solve this problem? i heard a bunch of solutions and no real concrete plan to solve this issue. i also heard alot of you a worried about the status quo and what might happen to off-road racing if nothing is done.

it seems to me that even the most expensive solution still might be more affordable than having to rebuild your rides after all these avoidable accidents. and when it comes to safety how can you put a price tag on that.

it also seems odd that the sanctioning bodies don't do more to address this issue. Why doesn't Sal, Casey and the other players invloved help more with the safety issue. and this isn't the only safety issue that needs to be addressed. i'd say you guys have a unique opportunity here on race desert to get together, form a concensus about what needs to happen and then take it to Sal, Casey and the others to get it done. before more cars get trashed and before more people ( heaven forbid ) get hurt.

Vtr_Racing

Reaction
do you guys solve this problem?
I assume your talking about getting stuck in silt, then getting drilled by someone by accident.
There isnt a one answer fits all. You dont always have a choice where you go when you drop into a silt bed. It kinda takes you where its wants, not necessarily where YOU want. All i can say is be very aware of whats in front of you before you get into the silt and whats behind you, if you can. I cringe when I see people stuck in a silt bed.

randy68

#1 Enemy of Google
Reaction
As far as this old dude is concerned, it's also a matter of whom and where you're racing.
Let's face it, all you need is a car/bike/quad, big juevos, $$$, and the desire to race. If
someone with little or no experiance enters a score, bitd, etc. race they should have the
experiance that goes with racing in that caliber of race. You can't just show up at a nascar,
irl, etc. race and race.
(I'll never forget Ron Brandt talking about how Herder must have x-ray vision the way he
could see thru the dust!)
'Experiance is the key."
Just my rusty ole $.02 worth.

J Caster

Honda TRX700XX Pilot
Reaction
I think there have been a lot of threads on this already but here is my $.02

Remove the GPS units from all the racers. :eek:

I know a LOT of people aren't going to like that idea but think about it. You don't see all the bike and quad guys charging hard thru the dust when they can't see. Why? Because they don't know what they may hit. And they know it is going to really hurt if they do!

You can prerun all you want but you are still not going to charge as hard thru the dust, as you would if it was clear. A lot of drivers or co-drivers look at the GPS when they are in thick dust to make sure nothing is coming up ahead. Been there, done that. Would the drivers slow down in dust if they didn't know what was ahead? I think so, unless they don't care about hurting themself or someone else.

DanMcMillin

Crane Motorsports
Reaction
How can anyone take you serious if your calling silt, moondust? lol I mean, come on Buzz Lightyear.

Last edited:

BoothPacific Films

Reaction
How can anyone take you serious if your calling silt, moondust? Come on Buzz Lightyear.
if you're on the search for six foot barrels then your word is moondust. if you're looking for a checkered flag at the end of the day the it's just silt.

Fast Eddy

Reaction
Here's my nickle worth. This was the first evnt I ever used a gps. We had some problems at the start and ended up starting towards the end of the 700 trucks. Our intercom wasn't working ( My co driver didn't turn it on). I just drove it like the old days like a single seat guy. It may have just been dumb luck or old skill, I don't know. I tried not to go any faster then my sight allowed but not be a fool and just stop in the middle of nowhere. I needed forward movement and reaction time to miss obsticles like that big pile up of buggy's and Trucks that pooped up in front of me. I just went back to my old driving skills from many years ago. I can belive some of it that the GPS does institute a confidence that probably it shouldn't at certain times. It still comes down to the guy or gal pushing the throttle and turning the wheel.

jo maoma

Heisenberg
Reaction
There is no dust in NASCAR ;) but then all you do is go left!

-Alex
in nascar that's called a left turn, if you're on the search for six foot barrels then that's a bottom turn...

wstephens

Reaction
I assume your talking about getting stuck in silt, then getting drilled by someone by accident.
There isnt a one answer fits all. You dont always have a choice where you go when you drop into a silt bed. It kinda takes you where its wants, not necessarily where YOU want. All i can say is be very aware of whats in front of you before you get into the silt and whats behind you, if you can. I cringe when I see people stuck in a silt bed.
Good Answer!
The problem with Silt & Bad Dust is the fact that you can't just slow WAY down or stop and wait for it to clear up. If you do, your going to get it from behind. Now if EVERY BODY slowed to the same rate in heavy dust there wouldn't be a problem but we ALL know that will never happen. On the other hand, charging through the dust at speed and relying totally on your GPS to keep you on the "line" is also quite silly. Here in lies the dilemma.
When I get in dust so bad that I can't see, my right foot tends to lighten up a little and I find myself almost "covering" the brake pedal. (i also start to feel my butt pucker) I try to maintain some speed all the while looking for some sign of the course, wether it be looking low to my left to see the edge of the ruts or trying to "feel" the ruts with the car. I don't know that there is fix all answer to this one. I really think it comes down to using some un-common / common sense and try to keep in mind that, although YOUR car/truck can get through the silt OK doesn't mean that some of the other cars can.
Having said all that, Off Road racing carries certain inherent risks and one must keep that in mind when paying the entry fee and strapping the 5-point around your body.

Shannon

Bear on a Unicycle
Reaction
I think there have been a lot of threads on this already but here is my $.02

Remove the GPS units from all the racers. :eek:

I know a LOT of people aren't going to like that idea but think about it. You don't see all the bike and quad guys charging hard thru the dust when they can't see. Why? Because they don't know what they may hit. And they know it is going to really hurt if they do!

You can prerun all you want but you are still not going to charge as hard thru the dust, as you would if it was clear. A lot of drivers or co-drivers look at the GPS when they are in thick dust to make sure nothing is coming up ahead. Been there, done that. Would the drivers slow down in dust if they didn't know what was ahead? I think so, unless they don't care about hurting themself or someone else.
Yeah! like thats going to happen!! While your at it why don't we limit travel,horsepower,and tire size.Then we can make everybody take I.Q test's!! TO SPUPID !! sorry can't race!! Come on guys lets get real.There risks in every sport,and alot of risks in offroad.Silt sucks and is very dangerous!!! but taking the G.P.S away
would just make it worse.Furthermore it would separate more the haves and have nots!! Unfortunately you don't have to have brains,or commonsense to be able to race . It would be nice, but impossible to eliminate silt from the coarse.Until we have
X-ray vision we will have these problems!! As for me I just slow down as much as possible!!!