more 4.0 ?'s

osborne

Reaction
I am switching from an ohv to an sohc and I have a few ?'s that I havent seen answered here. What is the easiest way to identify the sohc, is there a year that is better than another, will my current trans bolt up, is there a certin year ecu I should use? I hear the PATS system is a pain, is that only in 01 and up and if so can I just use the wire harness and ecu out of say a 99 on a later model engine? Thanks and any other info would be great. I am putting it in my 91 2wd chassis.

aaron

Prerunin554

Reaction
have you looked at therangerstation.com ? they will have all the info you need

cancinoj

Reaction
you will find the pats on all ford's from 98 and up,. but,. we were told that there are some ecu's that can be used on this engine and come without the pats, TZT0, thats the code of that ecu,. you don't need to reprogram that ecu to be used, well, we just went through all that, it was not easy but it was worth it at the end,. we bought a 98 sohc engine with original wiring harness and ecu, not all ecu work well to be reprogramed, some that worked for us, CDE3 and, shi.. forgot the others, but that one works great with a chip,. juanco did the chip,. i mean, he reprogramed our ecu,. with that he disables everything that you don't need on a non street legal engine, ha,. so. we are racing this engine with a ford c4 trans, we had that same transmission with the ohv, to use the sohc on the same transmission just need to custom made the flywheel and use the sohc flexplate,

so,. from 98 to 03 are ok, newer= less mileage and other little things,. so,. buy it with all the wiring harness, well, at least with main power distribution box or fuse box,. from there to the engine , they come with 4 oxygen sensor, you WILL NEED just 2 of them,. the wiring is preatty easy to make,. let me find the thread that i opend when we first started the swap,. good luck,

we have learn a lot on this engine, so, you are in the right place to ask,.

cancinoj

Reaction
the engine fits easy, well kind of,. engine mounts are the same as ohv,. you will use the ohv wate pump, custom make the upper water outlet, custom high pressure power steering line, fuel lines are the same,. if you take out the air conditioner compresor you will need this serpentine belt from autozone, ha, 6pk0710, what else, you will use the sohc starter,

osborne

Reaction
Thanks for the info, it helps a lot. I just pulled the ohv this morning and noticed it uses a 6 bolt pattern on the flywheel and the sohc uses 8. Im running a 5sp. Can i just get a flywheel from a sohc w/5speed and still use my clutch from the ohc? I also noticed the water pump is shorter on the ohv and doesn't line up w/the crank pully on the sohc. The new motor has no w/p or alt. on it. I was hoping to use them off the ohv since they are new. can I do that, and do I need to change the crank pully? thanks again.

cancinoj

Reaction
Thanks for the info, it helps a lot. I just pulled the ohv this morning and noticed it uses a 6 bolt pattern on the flywheel and the sohc uses 8. Im running a 5sp. Can i just get a flywheel from a sohc w/5speed and still use my clutch from the ohc? I also noticed the water pump is shorter on the ohv and doesn't line up w/the crank pully on the sohc. The new motor has no w/p or alt. on it. I was hoping to use them off the ohv since they are new. can I do that, and do I need to change the crank pully? thanks again.

what year is that sohc engine,. the sohc is 8 bolt and the ohv is 6, you will use the ohv flywheel and need the center of the sohc flywheel, then need to weld the center of the sohc on the ohv flywheel and drill the remaining holes,.

cancinoj

Reaction
you will need the alternator of the sohc engine, water pump should fit and lineup unless the sohc is, what year did you say?

osborne

Reaction
the ohv is 93 and the sohc i think is 98. I had the same idea of welding the holes. thanks.

cancinoj

Reaction
the ohv is 93 and the sohc i think is 98. I had the same idea of welding the holes. thanks.

if it is 98 it fits, the water pump i mean,. will take some pics of our engine to show you eveything that we did, also, you will need the exhaust manifold and the Y collector of the sohc, if you weld the flywheel yourself just dont weld the whole center, it will brake if you weld the whole thing,. need to be welded only in sections, sh.. didn't took any pics of ours,. just lineup the center of the sohc flywheel on the ohv flywheel and divide that like in 8 places like a pizza, ha,.and just weld in 4 places, i don't know if i made my self clear on that,. good luck.

DSRacing

Mini Metal MOD
Reaction
Here is a photo of our SOHC flexplate Rusty at TCS made for us. It's similar to what Javier is describing, an OHC flexplate with the center section cut out and a SOHC bolt pattern welded in it's place. I can take a better close-up of the welds tomorrow if you like.

osborne

Reaction
thanks for the help guys. I think i have the flywheel handled. As for the ecu, are you saying that if I get an ecu with code tzt0 I can just plug and play? If so why didn't you use this one?

aaron

cancinoj

Reaction
thanks for the help guys. I think i have the flywheel handled. As for the ecu, are you saying that if I get an ecu with code tzt0 I can just plug and play? If so why didn't you use this one?

aaron

we were told that way after we got our engine fired,. so,. were still looking for that ecu to have it as a spare,. still there, we want it to have the ecu reprogramed for better performance,.

DSRacing

Mini Metal MOD
Reaction
We have had good results using this ECU,

1998 Explorer, F87F-ATA

DSRacing

Mini Metal MOD
Reaction
Just plugged it in.

cancinoj

Reaction
We have had good results using this ECU,

1998 Explorer, F87F-ATA

that's not the code you need to look for,. that only means is from a 98 truck,. the code is a 4 letter, big bold letters,.

cancinoj

Reaction
this is an example on how the code looks like,. a good one to be reprogrammed is a CDE3 with alluminum case, all the case, not like this one

DSRacing

Mini Metal MOD
Reaction
that's not the code you need to look for,. that only means is from a 98 truck,. the code is a 4 letter, big bold letters,.

You're right, the code I posted is the one I use when I last ordered the ECU, it's a Fed 49 state computer not a Cal. model. I'll look again tonight and see what the 4 letter code is.