more prerunner ?s

bubnel

ok i got some other ?s about prerunners. lets say i want to spend 20k to 35 k on a decent prerunner, if you can even do one for that??????????? Where does one start? What kind of truck would be best for it, and why? Which one would be most cost effective? Is a four seater a good idea in a truck? Do you start with a piece of junk from a scrap yard? How much from a regular truck would be used? What kind of engine? how souped up would you need? and i want it to be street legal and be comfortable to drive on a daily basis. any ideas????

sweetdevil

now we're back at the what is a prerunner question...
1st of all, what do you want to do with this truck? Is there a specific class you want to race? Do you jsut want to have fun with it? Are you going to be driving it on the street?

Life Sucks.... get a friggin helmet

Heaven Doesn't want me, and hell is afraid I'll take over

In_the_works

Yea, it all depends on how hard/fast you plan on going. I'd say you're better off buying a truck used with most of the modifications you're gonna want already done. You'll find it ends up being cheaper than picking up a piece (no offense Fish!) from a junkyard and doing the mods yourself. Unless of course, you're a master engineer/welder and can do all the fab and design work yourself.

'96 F-150 4x4 ex cab
'02 Maico 250

sweetdevil

I don't mean to be rude at all, but it sounds like you don't know too much about this yet, you're better off buying something ready for what you want. Keep an eye open in the classifieds. You definetly wont need to spend 30k on a truck that is nice to drive on the street too. There's a lot of posts in here about s10's, rangers, toyota's, and f150's... read up and decide what kind of truck you want, or maybe a few to choose from, and then when something catches your eye, ask a few of the experts here what they think for what you're going to use it for.

Life Sucks.... get a friggin helmet

Heaven Doesn't want me, and hell is afraid I'll take over

crashesalot2003

i've been researching on building my truck that is a toyota and i have found to even start with a youta the front runs 4k+ and then you need the rear and cage which i am aiming for 10-15, but fabbing myself which is a very big chunk. i have found that ford i-beams can achive massive wheel travel realitively cheap, but i heard they are harder to steer, and i personally don't think it is a good idea for a beginner driver to have a truck with a tire angle at droop like the fords do, i mean if you hit a jump wrong and land side ways too much it looks like your asking for trouble and broken parts, thats just my opinion though. as to the question of using a new truck or old one you get what you pay for, it will be cheaper with an old truck but wont have the 4 door or alot of the options and comforts you have with a newer truck, the only advantage with an older truck is suspension kits have more research and track time on them than the newer trucks.

no brain, no pain

cleartoy

You didnt tell us what you want to do with it so ill just ad lib.

Lets just say you want to haull azz in a desert area like Ocotillo. Sand washes and whoop sections, take in a few jumps. I like Toyotas. Get a 2wd if the above sounds good to you, get a long travel bolt on kit, with coil overs up front, and long springs out back.

If you are more of the hill climber, or sand dunes for that matter, get a 4wd. You can get wider axles to correspond with the wider arms on TOys.

There are other vehicles besides Toyotas that you should deffinitely look into.

94 Toyota stdcab 2x4
99 Yamaha YZ250

Got Sand??