MORE time limit

BajaFand

Did anyone else find the time limit not long enough for this race? We found ourselves broken and potentially getting going again with 1.5 hours of downtime and decided to call it because of the time limit (and other reasons as well) and we were in a faster class. I would think in a 7s or a 1600 if you just had a minor setback you would have trouble making the time limit. To me 1.5 hours of downtime is a good amount, but in the past at other races we have had 3-4 hours of downtime in a slower class and still made the finish, though it was close. To me 12 hours was not long enough for a 500 mile race, we only had to do 400 and like I said, if we would have been able to get going again we would have to maintain our fastest lap time of the day and have no other problems or flats to make it for the last 3 laps. BITD gives you 17 hours to do Parker which is 425 miles and SCORE gives you 17-18 hours to do the Baja 500 which is usually around the same mileage as Parker. This race was pretty close to a true 500 miles and we only got 12 hours.

What are your thoughts?

joe1369

We did not get to race because the car is still broken from the Balls Out 250, but I agree, a 40 mph average for 12 hours straight is fairly unrealistic. We were at the race and we saw a lot of broken cars, Prior to the race someone said 50 miles of fast and 16 miles of hell, well I did not really see that 50 miles of fast show up in the results. It will be interesting to see the finishing percentage. I will guess between 20 to 25% max finished. Less miles or more hours next year, or hell, why not go 500 miles in Barstow!!!!:D

Stone Crawler

Agreed, in sportsman 1371 we got bumped back in the line up, ( which was fine as we likely needed to be) but that shaved even more time off our chance to finish. We ran around 2 hour laps, with a few extra minutes added for trouble in a couple laps. At the end of lap 4 ( around 11:30)we came into the pits with a broken coil spring, something we could have fixed fairly quickly, but we did not expect to get out of the pit before midnight, and finishing a 5th lap would have been tight, a 6th lap impossible.

I'm not bitchin, we had a great time and loved the course and the format of the race, it would have been great to have a fighting chance at finishing. Our car was fine other then the broken coil spring so its a bummer that even if we had zero issues we would not have finished in the alloted time. 40 MPH average would have been a stretch for us.

Loved the race, time limit is the only thing I would change. Its a lot to ask of the course volunteers to stay out there all night so maybe an earlier start time would work better?

GBK MOTORSPORTS

Yeah we had about an hour of down time with a broken drivers seat mount , and a broken RF shock mount, and finished about right at 12:00am. We knew the time limit was fast aproaching so we had to hammer down! Seem like alot of people didn't make the cut-off though.

Robbie #729

JCampbell

"1" time champ
Agree 100% we were runniing about 7th 1600 and on our 6th lap had a problem that cost us a little over an 1hr . we new it would be close so I put Bryan Mathews back in since he was running approx 1hr 20 min laps , he arrived at start finish at 12:55, we started at 2:23 pm it would have been a battle to finish buy 2:23 am but i figured let him go for it, MORE felt different and timed us out.Jim at the drivers meeting told us all how much time and effort this race was which i agree with but what about the endless hours we spend prepping and preparing for a 500 mile race, I spent the money to go 500 miles and we got burned if we had a flawless last lap we could have pulled it off, its not like we were in last place we were top 10 out of 25 cars entered. this type of action by an organization is why racers stop racing there races

ACME

The time limit was listed on the MORE web site well before the race, so the 12 hour limit shouldn't have been a surprise and was part of the deal you signed up for.

racer951

The time limit was listed on the MORE web site well before the race, so the 12 hour limit shouldn't have been a surprise and was part of the deal you signed up for.
Several of us did post concerns about it. Also, most of us don't know how fast or rough the course will be until we're out there. I think the last 10 races at Lucerne a 9 car has had a 40+ mph lap but not this race.

Does anyone remember when Jim told the 7s drivers on the MORE board that they couldnt do 6 laps because they were too slow the last two races to make it in 12 hours? I noticed the last 2 races he was talking about were in Barstow, which is not logical to base avg. mph from. What happened this race? 7s ran faster than both 9 and 5/16 who were doing 6 laps to their 5. Why? Lucerne is fast for trucks, Barstow is fast for buggies as it has been for years.

1600, 9, 5/16, 5 open, and maybe some others got hosed although 5/16 did manage a decent finishing rate. 7s was setup with an appropriate time limit for their mileage and had a strong finishing rate.

If the problem is insurance or money I think the racers would gladly pay for a little more time in the dez.

The finishing rate in some of these classes and probably overall was much worse than the Baja 1000.

Class 9: 5/31 16%
Class 5: 0/13 0%

I regret to admit the maturity to decide to not try and beat the clock after we had some minor, but time-eating issues in the RaceShock Coyote. Like some of the racers above, we would have had to meet or beat our best daylight laps to make the time limit, and I just didn't think I could do it in the dark with a compromised car.

So we withdrew at the end of lap four. But I think it was a good, tough race over a course that deteriorated faster than Jim and the MORE clan had anticipated.

Should it have had a 15 hour limit? 18? Or should we know we just can't finish in the time allotted if we lose any of that time?

joe1369

Agree 100% we were runniing about 7th 1600 and on our 6th lap had a problem that cost us a little over an 1hr . we new it would be close so I put Bryan Mathews back in since he was running approx 1hr 20 min laps , he arrived at start finish at 12:55, we started at 2:23 pm it would have been a battle to finish buy 2:23 am but i figured let him go for it, MORE felt different and timed us out.Jim at the drivers meeting told us all how much time and effort this race was which i agree with but what about the endless hours we spend prepping and preparing for a 500 mile race, I spent the money to go 500 miles and we got burned if we had a flawless last lap we could have pulled it off, its not like we were in last place we were top 10 out of 25 cars entered. this type of action by an organization is why racers stop racing there races
I thought if you got to the start/finish and it was your last lap, before 2:00 a.m., they would let you complete your last lap. You should have been good to go. I checked the MORE race map and it did say, YOU NEED TO BE ABLE TO FINISH THE LAST LAP BEFORE THEY WILL LET YOU GO OUT. I correct myself

Last edited:

Jack

No, there has always been a time for no new laps, but it has always been kind of wishywashy based off of start time or race start only, or based off of your lap times ave, or best.

Mike Hobbs

It's been my experience that the folks at MORE always do the right thing. If you guys would have kept racing, don't know if the time limit would have DNF'ed you. My average lap time at night was 2:30hrs in a 1450 truck and they let me try and finish my last lap at start/finish 12:11hrs.

The plan was to race until someone told us to stop. With 20-30 miles to go I was getting out of the way of a Class 1 into a ditch we went blowing both front tires with no more spares to put on the truck.

M.Harvey1600

i didnt race nor was i up there spectating the race but i feel that 12 hours is a short amount of time... normally in lucerne u could do 500 miles with down time in the time allowed with no problem. but lookin at lap times and finishing rate, alot of strong teams didnt finish so i would have to agree that 15 hours seems more appropriate! but as we all know HINDSIGHT IS 20/20!!!

something to look at for next years race... keep it 500 miles but give it a 15 hour time limit.... hopefully the flamed porter will be there next year to do battle with the 1600 guys...

this race seems like an awesome event so i say that we dont start a bashing thread on the race promoter... Jim is a great guy along with the whole MORE staff... keep up the good work guys and gals

oldman dirt

Completing the race within the time limit is part of the game. Remember the people who work timing and scoring and all the road crossing are out there for 12 hours too. A earlier start time might have helped but again this is a NIGHT RACE. Everyone knew the time limits before the race--
It was a tough time limit but it was do able. The trick is not to break, or have alot of down time. Too many people try and do the fast lap and dont focus on FINISHING THE RACE.

5racer

i liked it when it was 400 miles long ,500 miles in lap racing is not much fun on the last two laps .lucern used to fast but its getting to be like barstow anymore.

oldman dirt

it was pretty nasty on the last laps---almost 200 cars doing 5-7 laps on a 66 mile loop is harsh. Give Jim credit for getting it all permitted and done though. It was a true test of prep work and driving talents.

joe1369

The ground is much softer in Lucerne, than Barstow, so from the start of the race to the end with all those cars, it really looked like it got tore up.. We raced the MDR 400 last year after the MORE race, but ran it backwards, that was very tore up.:D

mrmatt

The time limit was tight but as ACME said....We all knew from the get go that 12 hours was it. I knew it would be tight for our 9 car. But why quit at the first sign of trouble? We had an hour and half down time on the first lap but thanks to Frank W. we got going again to at least try and get 5 laps in.....then we had another 2 hours of downtime:( and got going again to at least try and get 4 laps completed for points, that decision worked well for us in the points.

I believe Jim tried to get a time extension but was turned down by the BLM. I could be wrong on that though.
Jim and the rest of the MORE crew are great folks and works very hard for the racers. I am sure that if somethig could have been done to extend the time limit they would have.

Just my thoughts...

BTW: Congtrats to Oldman dirt on the great job out there

OffRoadRacer31

also you dont really DNF in MORE if you finish 1 lap or all your laps you still get placed. correct. you dont get a DNF. its more like a Balls out race, you run to complete as many laps as your can in your allowed time. seems fair to me, also it is easier this way to make sure vehicles are not on the race course all night long

sqrly1776

Dude, 500 miles / 12hrs of racing either one you still got a lot of racing for about $400. Where else can you go race that much for that low of an entry fee.

This was pretty much the same race they run every year, they just added 1 extra lap, it used to be 380 or so miles, now they added an extra lap and considered it their 500 - cool with me! But what cracks me up is that that one extra lap drew higher entries and messed with peoples heads. That one extra lap seemed to not screw people at the end (the one extra lap) but got people on the first lap..... just my perception of things and thought it was kinda funny.

Time Limit didn't matter to us, made no difference. Stupid thing for everyone to cry about, the race was awesome. Hopefully next year we'll see longer laps and longer time limit, but if not we'll still be there