Most Impressive Overall Finish

gmmvp42

Reaction
Drakes class 10 thread and the class 5 thread has me wondering, what is the most/more impressive feat? Is it Sourapas class 10 O/A @ 1985 baja 1000, Walker Evans overall (early 80s?) @ 1000, Robertsen Class 5 2nd O/A 1976 Baja 1000, did Rod Hall's class 4 O/A a baja race or any other? Has a TT/Class 1 finished more than an hour ahead of 2nd? Does anyone have stories/know the circumstances that led to the checkers? Just curious....

harleys dad

Reaction
Robertsons 2nd OA in the 1976 Baja 1000 in class 5 is more impressive to me than a 10 car overalling because most of class 1 and 2self destructing.Sure, it is great they got the overall, but it was a very hi attrition race for class 1 and class 2 with not a very hi entry to begin with. The year Robertson got 2nd overall Ray Bates in a 1200CC 2 seater finished 3rd overall by flat outdriving all the big motor cars except Ivan Stewart and Robertson. By the pictures he was flat on the gas, you hardly ever see the kind of air time he was doing, and in deep mud the entire way. It rained so much(I herd 6-8 inches in 4-5 hours, I thought forsure the roof of our motorhome was going to cave in)) the night before the start they were forced to pospone the race 24 hours as all of Ensanada was under water and the surounding areas as well as heavy snow in the pine forest. The impound area was underwater with a lot of cars underwater including mine and my dads that was so far underwater that all you could see was the windows and lights. Motors and trannys had to be drained, batterys were changed as well as a whole lotta starter motors. Mark McMillin rolled his class 9 car that race and nearly drowned as he landed in a giant water puddle. Of all the Baja 1000s I would say the 1976 was the toughest of all because you needed part boat part racecar and so much of the course was almost unpassable..No Rod Hall never won overall with his class 3 or 4 Dodge

Chase 2

Reaction
Wasn't there a similar situation with a 500 back in the mid 70's where a 9 car got the over-all? Or was I partying too hard with the Checkers MC up at Mikes?

Reaction
Wasn't there a similar situation with a 500 back in the mid 70's where a 9 car got the over-all? Or was I partying too hard with the Checkers MC up at Mikes?
IIRC, before the introduction of the Challengers, which debuted in 1984, Class 9 was for 1200cc. But I can't recall one taking the overall.

Mumzy

Reaction
Didn't Dave Ashley finish first four wheel vehicle in 90? or 91? in class 3 ?

Bajajt12

Reaction
Harley's Dad is right on point about the 76 1000, that was my first race in Baja and it was tough!

We raced a 125 Hodaka ( some of you might remember them ) we were able to rescue it from impound before the water got to the air cleaner.

I rode the first half and my co rider the second, I still remember the Class 5 passing me, scared the living Be Jesus out of me as I did not hear him coming.

We were second 125 about 10th or 12th bike over all, it was really bitchin!:)

harleys dad

Reaction
You were partyn to much JK Rolf Tibblin won the Mint 400 I think overall in a class 9 car in the mid to late 70s I THINK If not the 1st overall then 2nd overall.

asallenbach

Reaction
I heard that a 9 car overalled a barstow race late 70s early 80s.

Samco Fab

Reaction
Robertsons 2nd OA in the 1976 Baja 1000 in class 5 is more impressive to me than a 10 car overalling because most of class 1 and 2self destructing.Sure, it is great they got the overall, but it was a very hi attrition race for class 1 and class 2 with not a very hi entry to begin with. The year Robertson got 2nd overall Ray Bates in a 1200CC 2 seater finished 3rd overall by flat outdriving all the big motor cars except Ivan Stewart and Robertson. By the pictures he was flat on the gas, you hardly ever see the kind of air time he was doing, and in deep mud the entire way. It rained so much(I herd 6-8 inches in 4-5 hours, I thought forsure the roof of our motorhome was going to cave in)) the night before the start they were forced to pospone the race 24 hours as all of Ensanada was under water and the surounding areas as well as heavy snow in the pine forest. The impound area was underwater with a lot of cars underwater including mine and my dads that was so far underwater that all you could see was the windows and lights. Motors and trannys had to be drained, batterys were changed as well as a whole lotta starter motors. Mark McMillin rolled his class 9 car that race and nearly drowned as he landed in a giant water puddle. Of all the Baja 1000s I would say the 1976 was the toughest of all because you needed part boat part racecar and so much of the course was almost unpassable..No Rod Hall never won overall with his class 3 or 4 Dodge
Rod took the overall in the early 70's in a Bronco with Larry Minor. That it the only overall victory by a 4wd vehicle. That Bronco is up here in Reno at the ORMHOF at the Harrah museum, along with a number of cool other legendary off road machines.

Random Thoughts Racing

Reaction
What about Ivan Stewart with the over-all overall by beating everyone including the bikes?

SPROCKET

Reaction
In recent history I would say Adam Phanclutch, he overalled a Code race in a 16 car. and there were some major players that race.

racer56

Reaction
Rob Mac at this years Mint 400, 7th overall in a 16 car.

Rick 1634

Reaction
In recent history I would say Adam Phanclutch, he overalled a Code race in a 16 car. and there were some major players that race.
Bryan Freeman did the same at SNORE's Midnight Special in 2007

Joser1726

Reaction
What about Scott Douglas overall in the Class 7 open ranger? i dont remember the year but i know it was at the san felipe 250

Frontier 4 Baja

Reaction
What about Scott Douglas overall in the Class 7 open ranger? i dont remember the year but i know it was at the san felipe 250
Scott Douglas Overalled the San Felipe 250 in 1993. He was driving the Red and White Herzog Racing Ford Ranger. SCORE didn't have the usual high number of entries that race. I forgot why, I think there was another big race around that time. Or, It wasn't a points race. But, Not to take anything away from him, There still were Class 1's, 10's, and 8's. He had a great, flawless run that day.

racer_dude

Back2Back TL Champ!
Reaction
in 2007 we took a slow truck (pro-truck) to 8th overall in the baja 1000.. thought that was pretty cool

harleys dad

Reaction
yea there were about 35 cars in that race in all classes. if that. Just saying