• Forum membership has its advantages....

Most Memorable Moment so far

John Bitting

Administrator
Mine has to be at the Fireworks 250 a couple of years ago. I was sitting at mile marker 35(?) lap one here come the trophy trucks 1,2,3 then one class one and then holy [censored] Larry Plank in the flashgear painted protruck..He had already passed 30 class one cars and 4 TT's plus numerous other vehicles... One awesome display of driving..

Gabe Lara

Robby Gordon @ the 1997 (I think it was that year) Baja 1k, chasing down Larry Ragland through Ojos to the very end..... he had made up a deficit of about 30-40 minutes going into Ojos, and whittled it down to a few minutes coming out.....At night.

Simply amazing!

robert_encinas

i believe it was 91fireworks 250 the last time they ran at night . i was co driving with jesse (rodriquez,then it was El Rey Racing),it was dark allready we were motoring on in our 5-1600 when all the sudden the inside of the car was completely lit up,i turned to see who and what was coming and from the light arangement on the vehicle i new it was Ragland(then it was a 8 truck). there was a fork in the road so i pointed to the lower road to get out of his way when all the sudden it went black i told jesse dont worry he must have broke,when i finished that sentence Ragland landed about20 feet in front of us showering us with dirt and rockas he got back on the gas. he completely jumped over us we were probably doing around 40-50mph when this happened.that i will never forget.

rdc

- users no longer part of the rdc family -
Baja 500 a few years back. On the highway out of Santa Tomas, Scott is next to the highway, Robby is hauling ass towards us and Scott MOONS him! Robby starts swerving all over the place and you just know he was laughing his ass off inside his helmet. I know I was! And that brings up a question to Scott. How come that wasn’t on your greatest hits video? Mine was on there and it wasn’t half as funny as yours!

<font color=red>Shaun<font color=red>

JasonHutter

I would have to say, '92 or '93 (i'm not sure) Baja 1000. I saw Robby Gordon literaly bouncing off Ivan Stewart's rear bumper coming up the peninsula past Zoo Rd. at about 90-100mph at night! Awsome display of driving by both drivers. I am a huge Toyota fan, but you gotta love RG.

Waldo

Safehouse
Has to be the 1996 B1K. Was chasing for Scott Sells and at night the race truck rolled on its side in the boonies! Had to recon a couple miles on the course and upright the truck. The tricky part was traversing backwards on the course to get to the hwy. It is not legal to chase on the course anyway but backwards in the middle of the night was freeky. There were two chase trucks ahead, as I was taking up the rear. The radio crackled with HUGE horsepower and the chaser in front of me screaming that a TT was coming and to get off of the course. Needless to say there was a steep hill on one side and basketball sized rocks on the other. The lights of the Mike Leslie Jeep TT were coming straight for me about a 1/4 mile ahead. Playing chicken with a TT...Holy (@#$%). I swerved off to the right and got high-centered on a rock. My @$$ is sticking about 3 feet onto the course. I figured that my truck was a gonner. The TT stayed on the gas and no joke, missed my truck by inches!!! Talk about an O-$h*#! Got out, rocked my truck of the rock and almost pissed myself! My most memorable Baja moment!

BRAAAAAAAAP!

Steve_HKmtrsprts

This one time at Band camp...
It was at the MDR Lucerne race about two years ago. We found this nice little jump on the track, guess it's called the Wall now, but made camp there. After seeing most people slow down to the jump, we thought it was gonna be a bum place for pictures, when my friends and I were about to leave I noticed a buggy, not sure what class, hauling a$$. So I tried to get the camera out but as soon as the buggy hit the lip it sent the buggy into an endo, first landing on the front, bouncing off the tires and finishing the picture perfect 360 roll back onto its wheels with no damage. They rolled in nuetral a couple more feet, got situated again and threw it back into gear and took off. Everyone going crazy. Picture perfect but without a pic to prove it.

Going big and Filming it all..

Steve_HKmtrsprts

Frank, Yes that is. That was awesome, exactly how I remember the moment. I think I even see my truck with white fenders in the background in the second pic behind the white blazer. Cool!!! Glad someone got those pics...

Going big and Filming it all..<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by Steve_HKmtrsprts on 06/28/01 08:57 AM (server time).</FONT></P>

frankh

That was my wife driving. She made it two more laps till the transmission mounts broke and ended her day. She had her co-rider call on the radio to the next pit to see if they had a welder. When they ask what was wrong she said someone nerfed them a little hard, she did not want me to worried (I was in front of her in are 5 car). She told me after the race that she was behind a truck for a while and he finaly moved over and she went for it , Besides it was only 2 feet high!!

Chris

I was trying to think of my most memorable memory, when I read this post and that reminded me of what you guys are talking about. Me and my brother were at the wall that day also. That was crazy. She stalled it and just kinda sat there (in sheer amazement I'm sure) after the flip. A bunch of people came running over to see if she was alright . . they saw that everything was bueno and a little while later she was back on the course and outa sight. Awesome! ! ! I always wondered if someone got any decent pictures of that one.

scott

That was a good one, but remember the other 4 people that were mooning him also!!!!!!!! My most memorable moment has to be at the Baja 500 in 1997 when in fact I was trying to get a co-driver to ojos negros for Bob Land in his Class 7 ranger, and I went to pass him on the highway in my stock toyota with a 22r and 33 inch tires with NO GEARS!!!!!!!!!!,, and the co-driver Brian Cavitt told me not to, or he'd get pissed off........ Pretty Funny Remember Bob runs in 2 speeds SLOW and STOP........

pjc

Chairman
2001 Baja 500, Protruck #270 (one of many)

Scott and I had fuel pressure issues all day. We had a good drill down that kept us in the hunt yet, the damn pressure would always fail as soon as you were distracted. One time, we were on the back stretch bhind Mike's (way bitchen area), where we were on a silty uphill. The fuel pressure started to drop. If we lost power there, we'd become the creator of a log jam. It was tight and twisty. Scott shut down the only working pump to let it "unstick, unclog, cool down" or whatever. The motor would run for a bit at full or near full throttle before it lost fuel and power. It just began to bobble when we were able to gain pressure.

I can't wait 'till the 1000!

Another....

Going up Pit row at Laughlin 100+

Another

Going down through the woops by "Poor Man's Hill" at Laughlin with no oil pressure at 90+

PJCinLV
http://www.off-road.com</A>
Hated by Eco-Freaks and Bob Yen.

Greg

One of my most memorable moments was at the "wild wash" jump during the 91 or 92 fireworks 250. it was almost dark and Evan Evans was coming up really fast and instead of slowing i swear he hammered the throttle and went higher (it seemed as high as the box vans) than anyone i've ever seen. It was so high that all watching thought for sure he would break or at least tear the wheels off. when he landed a shower of sparks came from under the blazer and it sounded like it was gonna stall. but amazingly nothing broke, the motor came back to life and he continued on like nothing happened. There had to be hundreds of people there and the pits were silent with awe as he motored off in the distance. That has to be my most memorable moments or maybe riding with dale last weekend.

Greg

rdc

- users no longer part of the rdc family -
Hey Scott, where were those guys from? Something like South Carolina or some place like that. All the way to Mexico for a race! And just how did Bob feel about that pass? ;)

<font color=red>Shaun<font color=red>

pjc

Chairman
Maybe you are thinking of the two guys from Vermont, whom drove their old Bronco all the way to Baja in '97 and then raced in the 1000 with intentions of driving back.

The story gets better. They had removed the heater, among other things and were faced with a blizzard crossing the continental divide on the way out. They stayed warm by climbing into a sleeping bags and driving just the same.

When they returned to vermont, the went off to missionary duty.

See http://www.off-road.com/race/97baja1000/</A>

PJCinLV
http://www.off-road.com</A>
Hated by Eco-Freaks and Bob Yen.

Junior

My most memorable moment was during the Baja 1000 several years ago. It was the year that Larry Ragland won his first Baja 1k with Arnold. I was pitting for BFG along side the Poolman somewhere near San Felipe. We had been watching Bikes go by for what seemed like forever anticipating the arrival of the Trophy Trucks when we got the call that Larry Ragland had past our sister BFG pit and would be arriving soon for Fuel and a tire change. It was my turn to man the fire extinguisher backing up the Poolman and Crazydunerunner as they dumped the fuel. When Larry came sliding into the pit obviously the first TT on the course, the adrenaline surged. Fire was pouring out of the exhaust pipes like dual flame throwers. Warned ahead of time about the fire breathing exhaust pipes which went up the back of the cab like a semi (too close to the fuel inlets for comfort) we had a guy on each side deflecting the flames away with pieces of sheet metal. (speed limit signs) The tire man began working on changing the passenger rear tire when he called out to me for help. Larry was running knock off's at the time and the tire dude could not bust it loose. I grabbed the lead hammer from the tire dude and busted that knock off loose with the first swing, spun it off, removed the burning hot flat tire and replaced it with a fresh unit. I spun that knock off thing on and hammered it as tight as I could. The whole time Larry's "people" were yelling at me because another TT was on its way! When I was done changing that tire, they dropped the truck and Larry peeled out on his way into the desert. We found out later that he did in fact win the Baja 1000. When I looked into the Poolmans eyes I knew that he had the same adrenaline pumping through his veins as I did.

The Poolman has a video of this pit stop taken from the drivers side. You can't see me working on the tire at all. But I don't need video or a photo. I was there and I will NEVER forget it.

Junior
EJR Racing #244