• Forum membership has its advantages....

On Topic Most user-friendly camera setup

Zambo

Its been a few years since I got my last gopro camera. Was wondering what the hot setup these day is for in-car. One of the limitations of my current gopro Hero4 is that it seems I can either connect it to 12v vehicle power so it can work all day, OR I can connect it to the intercom for voice audio. But not both. Is there a work-around to this? Currently I have a big aux battery case but it still craps out halfway through a long day, even when I'm not recording everything.

I was looking at the Hero Session units. Anybody have experience with them? Its seems like they are either on and recording, or off. That would probably work well I would think. Half the time I think I'm recording and the thing is just in standby, or vice versa with my current camera. Can't count how many times we've turned it off when we want it on and on when we want it off.

BTW as always, budget isn't unlimited here.

Kirk_Babbington

Zambo

That's interesting. Hadn't thought of that. So you didn't bring a clapboard in the car with you, lol?

sdsocalloco

I run an Ion Air Pro 2. HD quality, intercom and usb power plug right into the back. Bullet style camera with no lcd screen but they have an app where you can review footage or watch the camera live. There is a slide switch on top that is either in stop/off or record mode. Very simple. Last I checked, they're very inexpensive also. IMHO Gopro lead the way in inexpensive action cameras but are hyped up these days. There are better or comparable cameras out there for much cheaper.

Here are some links of some footage from the camera.

Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk

Zambo

I don't have a lot of experience with stabilization but aren't most editing programs able to apply the same stabilization effect to the raw footage? Stabilization is one of the features of the Session5 but not the Session4, but a lot of reviews say that the extra money isn't worth it because you can apply stabilization in post.

Yeah most editing platforms can do stabilization. I personally think the more you can do in camera the better the outcome. I would also say there is a huge jump in stabilization quality between the 5 and the 6.

Sent from my iPhone using race-deZert

EOR1488

I run a hero 5 and hero 6 the 6 is very nice the stabilization is great. Video quality is great. The superview on the 6 is pretty amazing. I like to use this for in car power and audio. Besides that I shoot in 1440 or 2.7k at 30 or 60 frames and Been looking great. Audio on the 6 is better too.

IMG_5455.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using race-deZert mobile app

Zambo

I read a lot of poor reviews about that adapter. Have you used it? How did it work? Lots of reports of the audio not working and the cables not seating properly.

EOR1488

Mine has worked fine so far but only used it for one race and one time testing so can’t say how it holds up after time.

Sent from my iPhone using race-deZert

Zambo

Thanks. Its says its for the 5/6, not sure if it'll work on my 4.

dan200

#BSF200
I get asked for wire kits that attach to the mic/com systems a lot. "Ours stopped working" "Ours never worked"

pci has the intercom connector kit that works 3.5mm 9 pin molex Camera Cable

Almost always, any issue that arises is from the adapter for the model camera you have.

It is my understanding, not my experience, that go-pro makes a 3.5 mm multi adapter kit of some kind that works better than all the amazon ones. I guess it only available from dealers like Best Buy for some reason.

If you can't get a good one, I suggest buying a couple of the cheap ones so you have a back up.

If you want a awesome mount, we sell these to all the pro filmer guys. Very strong and adjustable. Tuba, Curtis, Wilson, Mad Media, EVERYONE uses these. Theyre a little spendy but your camera stays put and the mounting adjust ability is gigantic.

Universal Adjustable KW Mount

Last edited:

J Prich

Audio has always been the big black hole for us. Never been able to make that work. We've been running Replays for a few years...Replay Prime X's now. I like that they don't require extra protection and are easy to mount in a wide variety of spots.

The on/off can be a little tricky. They vibrate and have LED indicators but we are sometimes hit or miss with getting them to start when we think they started, etc. Not sure where Replay is in the market at this point, our cams might already be dinosaurs.

I dig the new ish GoPros...5/6s, but not enough to ditch what we have already which works fine for something else.

EOR1488

Audio has always been the big black hole for us. Never been able to make that work. We've been running Replays for a few years...Replay Prime X's now. I like that they don't require extra protection and are easy to mount in a wide variety of spots.

The on/off can be a little tricky. They vibrate and have LED indicators but we are sometimes hit or miss with getting them to start when we think they started, etc. Not sure where Replay is in the market at this point, our cams might already be dinosaurs.

I dig the new ish GoPros...5/6s, but not enough to ditch what we have already which works fine for something else.

Not gonna lie it’s kinda cool with go pro App and Bluetooth. Last race I am in driver seat about to take the green. Pull up my phone turn both cameras on and start recording. It’s also cool to have the live feed so you know exactly what it’s going to look like helps with finding cool new views/ angles etc

Sent from my iPhone using race-deZert mobile app

steve0we

Race-keeper.com The camera system is SUPER EASY TO USE AND EDIT!
We turn it on when we get to the desert and then don't touch it all weekend!

Zambo

Looks like a neat setup. I hate to ask how much that cost.

AZ7000'

Looks like $1500 to $3000 +....