On Topic Motec ?s for dummies like me

Derek Pocorena

Reaction
Alright guys so I'm getting down to wiring prob in the next couple of months. My question for all u motec experts out there is it possible to hook the motec dash screen up and use it for like gauges on a mefi 5 ecu basically i just want oil pressure temp oil temp water temp. I really know nothing about motec and how it works just trying to understand it a little bit better

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

_

Reaction
Yes, but for most applications, there will not be an accurate Oil PSI available from the MEFI5 via the OBD2 Comms requiring you to utilize a redundant sensor hard wired to the display to obtain Oil PSI.

_

Reaction
oops......, I missed the Oil Temp request. As with Oil PSI, there is no Oil Temp in the typical MEFI5 OBD2 data bit stream.

Derek Pocorena

Reaction
oops......, I missed the Oil Temp request. As with Oil PSI, there is no Oil Temp in the typical MEFI5 OBD2 data bit stream.

Oil temp I could care less water temp voltage and oil pressure are the main things I'm looking for so how hard is this to hook up for a dummie like me or how much would it cost a ball park to have someone wire it up ?

_

Reaction
If you order a display from a certified MoTeC dealer, the dealer can provide a Plug-and-Play display (ie: pre-programmed for your application) along with details on the necessary wiring you will need to address in the chassis.

If you are not comfortable wiring directly to the display, your dealer can provide you with a Display and an interface harness to the display for which will only need to bring the necessary wires to and terminate with Deutsch DT connectors as detailed by the dealer (ie: MoTeC Track Kit). I suggest you identify a dealer you are comfortable working with and discuss your needs/desires in greater details with him/her. There will most likely be items/issues you have not have considered which the dealer can bring to light to improve your finished product.

Here is a link to certified USA, MoTeC dealers.

-and-

Here is a link to current MoTeC pricing.

Derek Pocorena

Reaction
If you order a display from a certified MoTeC dealer, the dealer can provide a Plug-and-Play display (ie: pre-programmed for your application) along with details on the necessary wiring you will need to address in the chassis.

If you are not comfortable wiring directly to the display, your dealer can provide you with a Display and an interface harness to the display for which will only need to bring the necessary wires to and terminate with Deutsch DT connectors as detailed by the dealer (ie: MoTeC Track Kit). I suggest you identify a dealer you are comfortable working with and discuss your needs/desires in greater details with him/her. There will most likely be items/issues you have not have considered which the dealer can bring to light to improve your finished product.

Here is a link to certified USA, MoTeC dealers.

-and-

Here is a link to current MoTeC pricing.

Thank you very much

Dezertpilot

Reaction
Why wouldn't you want oil temp? Just curious but that would seem like something that most people would want?

Derek Pocorena

Reaction
Why wouldn't you want oil temp? Just curious but that would seem like something that most people would want?

Because my motor was 800 bucks from a junk yard and I don't care if it blows up do to hot oil il just get another one

_

Reaction
Because my motor was 800 bucks from a junk yard and I don't care if it blows up do to hot oil il just get another one

What is your time worth...??

You can purchase a Delphi fluid temp sensor, mating connector, terminals and wire for about $50. Is this not a better investment than 1-2 days labor to R&R an engine, plus time to locate & acquire the replacement engine along with proper disposal of your blown-up engine?

Note: MoTeC is strictly headed in the direction of color displays. As a result, MoTeC is phasing out non-color displays starting with the CDL-3 displays. This is providing for a killer deal to anyone on a budget build who wants a non-color display. To aid in clearing out the CDL-3 displays, MoTeC has significantly reduced the price and is now also including Logging and I/O port option without the usual upgrade fee.

Derek Pocorena

Reaction
What is your time worth...??

You can purchase a Delphi fluid temp sensor, mating connector, terminals and wire for about $50. Is this not a better investment than 1-2 days labor to R&R an engine, plus time to locate & acquire the replacement engine along with proper disposal of your blown-up engine?

Note: MoTeC is strictly headed in the direction of color displays. As a result, MoTeC is phasing out non-color displays starting with the CDL-3 displays. This is providing for a killer deal to anyone on a budget build who wants a non-color display. To aid in clearing out the CDL-3 displays, MoTeC has significantly reduced the price and is now also including Logging and I/O port option without the usual upgrade fee.

So what's a ball park figure for what I'm wanting to do parts wise ?to see if that's even in my budget

_

Reaction
Use this link for current MoTeC pricing. If this link doesn't answer your questions, send me a PM of your intentions/expectations and I'll help guide you through the options.

dzrt performance

Reaction
being a certified MoTec dealer, i offer the OP or anyone reading this some things to consider.

the correct solution is to buy a Motec ECU. i realize for many cost is a factor....but prices have dropped considerably with MoTec hardware and i could go on endlessly to the advantages of seamless CAN integration of the dash and ECU.

another less costly solution would be to buy the IO (input output) option for the dash. this allows you to wire up your choice of temp and pressure sensors directly to the dash...regardless of what make ECU or other sensors you have. the only connection you would need from your EFI system would be a tach which is simple enough.

as has already been pointed out, color dashes are all the rage.....but the older dashes have the same functionality....just dont look as cool....at a price that is VERY reasonable.