Motion Sickness at V2R

johndjmix

Reaction
Tried the single ear plug, tried the ginger, Dramamine, etc....nothing worked...until i tried the Scopolamine patch.

Doctor told me to re-do the activity and see if it works, i explained thats impossible because we only do this race once a year. So she suggested i go to a local amusement park and find a spinning ride that makes me sick, then try with the patch and see what happens.

This is really important to me to get worked out, as racing in the the desert is what I (and you also) love to do so much. So i developed a plan. I went the the park and rode the same ride a few times each day for 4 days, trying a different remedy each day. To maintain a control group i did the exact same ride each day and nothing else.

(Allready tried dramamine at V2R last year and it didnt help, so i skipped that in testing)

Day 1: Control group. I didn't take or do anything special. The ride got me feeling weird after the first run. 2nd ride on it almost got me sick, so i got off. Felt like I failed spelling for the rest of the day.

Day 2: Single ear plug. It didnt help at all, same results as day 1. Felt like I failed spelling for the rest of the day. I brought one of the girls from the shipping department here, and the ride actually got her sick!

Day 3: Ginger pills. Defiantly had a noticeable difference, but stll felt "woozy" after a 2 rides on the thing. Didnt feel the best for the rest of the night.

Day 4: Scopolamine patch. 100% no motion sickness! I rode that sucker again and again, and felt nothing! In fact, i felt so good i grabbed a cold one and some food right after!

So, if you get the sickness like i do at V2R or baja, get your doctor to prescribe the patch. One thing with it, wash your hands after applying! If you get it in your eyes your eyes will water bad! I use a rubber glove when putting it on then wash up.

Hope this helps some of you guys.

--John

Bro_Gill

Reaction
John. I sometimes get motion sickness, not every time, never driving, only riding. Frustrating. One thing that has always helped even if I get sick is no solid food from dinner on the night before. I have tried ginger and no change. Dramamine sometimes works and sometimes doesn't. Again, very frustrating. Only good thing about it is I can puke out of a full face helmet through a window nest and most drivers don't even know it's happening. I've gotten good at it.

ICS Service

Reaction
Last year at V2R, i wound up losing my lunch around pit 6 and having to swap out of the truck. This year i was careful what I ate, but still got feeling weird after that "Roller Coaster" section with the tall hills and drops, and had to get out of the drivers seat after.

We still pulled off 2nd place (Trophylite) thanks to Gary Hull!

After talking to a few teams at the Reno Hotel, i found out im not the only one with this issue. On top of that I hear a lot of racers only have this problem at V2R. I personally have never had that issue at any other race, just at V2R.

The great guys/girls from the PRP team told me the trick was to take dramamene ginger before the race on V2R.....going to try this.

Who else has this issue?

--John
Happened this year to my son in our new car, in left seat at Pit 5. They pulled away from pit, pulled over and he up was sick for 5:20 minutes (go pro), and didn't advise the pit, (cuz I would have pulled him from the car assuming heat exhaustion). But was only motion sickness- He felt like a million bucks afterwards and continued on. Look great at Pit 7 where we did driver change. We have new car, and probably not use to how she rides.

johndjmix

Reaction
FYI, this year at v2r I used the patch. Didn’t get sick or even feel close to it at all. That sucker works!

BUT try it before the race. When I had tried it at the six flags I only had it on for about 7 hours. At v2r I put it on at 9am and, due to the delay, we didn’t finish till 4:30am. It gave me a soar throat that was the worst I’ve ever felt. Twice as bad as what your throat felt like when you had mono. It hurt to burp! But, a small price to pay for being able to do the thing i love.

—john.

Baja Bryan

Reaction
I seen a lot of codrivers at the rally race wearing Scopolamine patchs. I have never been sick but might try one. Maybe helps keep your more relaxed and focused?

johndjmix

Reaction
I seen a lot of codrivers at the rally race wearing Scopolamine patchs. I have never been sick but might try one. Maybe helps keep your more relaxed and focused?

I wouldn’t”try” it unless you need it. It has side affects in most people, some are really really bad (seeing things that aren’t there). Also some people get very “motion” sick after they take it off, guess it’s their body adjusting back. For me it was just the soar throat from hell - which I’m Definatly willing to deal with.

—john

green787

Reaction
Website
realsound.us
I remember in the 5th grade watching all my classmates barf their guts out on the Whale watching field trip..... I was like.... what a bunch of losers..... They didn't play hard enough as kids..... in my neighborhood you did a back flip off the garage roof into hay bales or you got beat up.... I remember crying a couple of times and jumping feet first.... My big brother and his gang made me go up and do it again until I got it right..... Then the "Rock-o-Plane" at the Kiddy Fair in the Escondido Smorgasboard parking lot..... "All you can Eat' was their motto.... At 6'4" I wanted to be an Apollo Astronaut so bad..... I love being strapped in tight, in a small confined space....!!!!!! Makes me feel safe.... I did panic a little bit looking into the ball turret gun at the March Air Force Museum..... If you want to get over motion sickness, you would do a sommersault every time you got out of bed.... It's all about getting used to that liquid in your inner ear going all the way around....

green787

Reaction
Website
realsound.us
In off roading we experience weightlessness everytime you come off of a jump..... That type of motion sickness is probably the most difficult to deal with because the liquid in your inner ear is floating as well, sending all kinds of signals to your nervous system to remain balanced and upright..... you just have to practice ignoring those signals until it's actually fun.... They have rides at the fair to practice on if you don't have a flying harness..... and if you can afford a Trophy Truck, you can probably build/buy one of these.....AND hire a therapist......

1630859942548.png

Even this machine would need to drop 10 feet to simulate off road racing conditions..... Every muscle in your body trying to remain upright is what makes you sick and exhausted..... Once you get over that you adjust to the feeling and you are smiling like the girl above and wanting to do it more..... it has to be a fun ride, or maybe think about a support role.....

Hang this off the rail hoist in your shop and have at it....(make your entire crew try it, until you find someone that just loves it first try, can flip head over heels, and make that person your co-driver). It's just a harness and way less expensive than a Head and Neck Restraint......

I'm not against using Scopalamine, or Dramamine.... But worrying about it, and changing your diet, and then hoping all of those things works, contributes to anxiety and thus motion sickness....

Last edited:

johndjmix

Reaction
The weird part for a lot of us, we don’t get motion sickness at every race. Only certain ones. Vegas to Reno seems #1 for it.

I never get it anywhere, unless I really try to push it on the spinning. I mean, at some point everyone will get sick.

—john

43mod

Reaction
Johns diet and sleep habits are normal for him . For the regular joe to repeat this program would have you pretty messed up . Power on John . Burning candle from the middle out as well as both ends is fun .

johndjmix

Reaction
Actually changed my diet A LOT. Cut out all the ice cream, and fast food. Not sure if that helped. Christian (CO-Driver) lives on fast food and junk food and never gets sick. Go figure!

Lately ive been trying a new schedule, wake up at 7am and go to bed around midnight. Its great, except, i got a TON more done waking up at 11-noon and staying up till 4 am. You miss all the traffic and rat race and get to work un-interupted. Much, much more productive for me, no matter if its working on the truck or business. Early bird gets bitten by the worm, late night is where the real work happens.

--John

Last edited: