Motor Costs =(

ryno_racing

Ok i bought a 9 car because i have been told by numerous people that it is the most cost friendly class to race in? Well how come i cant get my motor done for less than 3000 bucks +/-? I dont have piles of money laying around in my backyard and need some advice on what route to take on getting my motor going and being competitive. I will start with the specs on the motor i do have (bought with the car), all i know is it is a 1641(was running when it was pulled out of the car) and does not have an intake or exhaust, dirty old factory single barrel carb, and single port heads. Who do i call, who has something for sale cheap, or do me and the guys just build a motor in the garage and go racing with the who cares about winning attitude, which would be the cheapest???:confused::confused::confused:

MARXICO

The only thing that " IS CHEAP " in this class is the car owner!

You are going to be pissed when a guy that spent $6000 on his motor flys past your $3000 motor

In the long run it cost money to be cheap

Consider the money you spend being Cheap as your tuition to your new education

ryno_racing

Thats what i was thinking build it in the shop.....i am not a total cheap **BAN ME** but is there really that big of a difference between a 3k motor and a 6k motor? Its a spec class right(or is it just supposed to be;)) and if so what is the difference? I also want to do it right, but again there is not money raining from the sky in the deserts of New Mexico so say i do spend the money and maybe get passed by the guy that spent twice as much as i for the motor, or do i build it myself and pass the guy that spent three times as much as me?:D:). If i do build it myself, anybody out there willing to give away some secrets?

Johnson954

The only way to make things cheap is to do them yourself. If you are just starting out in class 9, I would buy the cheapest motor you can get and work on your set up. Once you get your car dialed in, then spend the money on the motor. Call Joel at Mohr Performance in Victorville...see what he can do for you. 760-947-6647.

ryno_racing

Build it yourself. It's a VW, not rocket science.........
Wait.......I am a rocket scientist therefore it makes it more difficult:).....Just kidding, wish i was because then it would be raining money from the sky!:D I just really want to have fun, supposedly this class is where all the fun is at. Again anybody out there wanting to contribute to my fun in the form of engine secrets/money dont hesitate post the secrets here and PM me for my mailing address if you plan on sending any money!!:cool:

MARXICO

The thing that justifies a profesional motor builder is his years of experince day after day with no other distractions with one focuse .

I went the other route , bought all the parts had a friend build it thought I had somthing .... got smoked.... thought every body was cheating !

Recently I went to school and caught a ride in Rick Pools car , his motor was built by Doug Parolta, motor builder and class 9 score champion........that car had a incredibal power range in deep sand , no boging no blubering just power ... we blew past other cars that were strugling
We finished 3rd and the motor had to be teced it past 100% the horse power was made with the earned knolage and experince that you pay a motor builder for .
I traded labor for my engine build ,that is why it was built by a sewer contractor( motor head ) and it runs ok but that is what I deserve for being cheap
I relized that I was wasting my money to race a car that is not what it should be so for the moment I am sitting it out untill I can have a real motor and enjoy racing instead of compromising so I can go slow and beat up my equipment and my self
Intill I had this experince I was thinking just like you , I though 9 are slow and always will be guess what ...I was wrong
I agree you should put together what is available to you and get your feet wet... just keep this in mind as cars fly by with no effort

ryno_racing

So what you are saying is really the only spec class (fair to all entrants with or without TONS of money) is either pro-lite or trophylite? Yeah its probably a bad compairison but maybe i should just sell the 9er and finance a trophylite:rolleyes:. I will just build it in the garage and go out a beat one or two guys and have a blast doing it! Oh wait that remininds me of the story of the tortise and the hare! Is that a good way to think about it when i put my motor together?!?:)

ACME

With the low compression and retrictions in class 9 it's all in the cam, balancing and tuning of the motor. Make sure the heads are correct, install good components (valves, springs etc...), set up the geometry correct and make sure everything is balanced and you'll be competitive. The best engine builders in class 9 have refined these components through years of trial and error and you do get that benefit when working with them however, the beauty of class 9 is the 7.5:1 helps level the playing field. There are a ton of guys on a bidget doing their own stuff that are very competitive. When you're consistantly losing races by 30 seconds and you can honestly say it's the motor as your driving , prep and set up are flawless and the only thing holding you back from stardom is the motor, then worry about it. Like a wise man once said: "Build your own, it's not rocket science"... and have fun!

Johnson954

The guys with the fast motors always break anyway...

I finished 2nd once with a motor out of my pre-runner that had been sanded and had a crack in the case.....of course, I lost by over 20 minutes, but I still got 2nd! My car wouldn't even pull 4th gear on a straight away. However, the guy that beat me was Corey Torres...and everyone knows he cheats!!!:D

...at least in Nevada he does...

9rocky

The guys with the fast motors always break anyway...

I finished 2nd once with a motor out of my pre-runner that had been sanded and had a crack in the case.....of course, I lost by over 20 minutes, but I still got 2nd! My car wouldn't even pull 4th gear on a straight away. However, the guy that beat me was Corey Torres...and everyone knows he cheats!!!:D

...at least in Nevada he does...
Yup!!

Big fat mother effin cheatin Beanerboy that Torres kid is.

Attachments

partybarge_pilot

With all the restrictions in place there are only a few areas to concentrate on. Friction is a major one. Cam is another along with jetting.

ACME

Yup!!

Big fat mother effin cheatin Beanerboy that Torres kid is.
I witnessed him cutting in line at the Buffalo Bills buffet and watched him rip off Gringo's by selling Chicklet's for 4 for a $ buck instead of 5 like all the other vendors plus he's a crappy windshield washer!

KyleMurray

Ok i bought a 9 car because i have been told by numerous people that it is the most cost friendly class to race in? Well how come i cant get my motor done for less than 3000 bucks +/-? I dont have piles of money laying around in my backyard and need some advice on what route to take on getting my motor going and being competitive. I will start with the specs on the motor i do have (bought with the car), all i know is it is a 1641(was running when it was pulled out of the car) and does not have an intake or exhaust, dirty old factory single barrel carb, and single port heads. Who do i call, who has something for sale cheap, or do me and the guys just build a motor in the garage and go racing with the who cares about winning attitude, which would be the cheapest???:confused::confused::confused:

Our car has a 2700 dollar dual port motor in it and it ran perfect and even set the fast lap at the big class9 race. Give me or my dad a call and ill give you some info. 714 497 8368. look foward to racing with you guys again.

QurtysLyn

Build your own up. It'll be cheaper, and If you build it right, you'll have plenty of power to pass the "fast" guys. Plus, then you'll know how to fix it when you break it. ;)

Ours topped out at 77 ish MpH at the Mint this year, we built in the garage. (Course, I can't tell you how many years Grandpa has been building VW engines for...)

Motoren

I use a guy named Malcolm Wallace. He will build any motor for $500 + parts and does an unbelievable job. It takes him a long time to build one but it’s worth it. You know what they say, you can get it done right, fast and cheap... but you can only pick 2.
Pm me if you want contact info

ryno_racing

I think that we are just going to go for it! partybarge_pilot sent me some good tricks (advice) that we can use and we will just go from there! three more questions 1. what pistons to use (with part #'s please)? 2. What cam do we use?(part#'s please) 3. Kyle will you and your dad buy me a motor too (I will put American Rentals all over the car!! :))? Any other suggestions that anybody has please post them here, unless you dont want to give me your secrets because you are afraid of getting beat by a no-name out of New Mexico.....lol yeah right, i will not even compete with most of you guys, but i will drink beer with all of you after the race thats for sure!!! :cool:

Last edited:

Chappy89

hey ryan,

ill be glad to help with assembly of your engine. not hard and i know a thing or two about setting em up.

lemme know