Motor Mounts

phorensic2k

Reaction
This post has no point but to tell a story, sorry if I bore you.

Yeah, so I own the lovely Sonono that everyone loves to hate, at least the people that own it anyway. I broke my drivers side motor mount about 3 months ago. I ran it for 2.5 months with that mount broken and the whole engine smashing around inside my engine compartment and onto the frame. Well I removed the mount completely and ran it that way for half a month until the stiffener that mounts from the engine to the transmission bent so bad and my engine clocked so much that my engine basically was only cradled by my frame. Yes that means my passenger side motor mount broke also. So I had two broken mounts, and on top of that I didn't even have my transmission tied to my crossmemeber like it should be. Needless to say I caused a lot of damage and after a $140 tow truck ride home after the oil filter exploded from rubbing on the mount and ripping the oil pressure sensor off (sending oil everywhere even after I fixed the oil filter) because the wires were stretching so much from the engine clocking I realized it was time to fix it. So I spent 150 fricking dollars at the dealership because the parts shops dont carry my mounts and the junkyards don't have them either. But I will tell you what, it is so nice to be able to use full throttle again, and shift hard, and not have your crank sensor freak out and read wrong because your engine is clocking too much, causing your computer to send a code and your ignition or whatever cut out and cause your engine to sputter to almost death.

Moral of the story, fix your ish before it causes you to spend way more money in the long run.

rdc

- users no longer part of the rdc family -
Reaction
Dude that sucks. I am the same way, but on a lower scale. My exhaust bolts fell off about 3 months ago and then i got new ones and there was a exhaust leak. So i went to the dealer to get a gasket. That cost 8 bucks. Then about 2 weeks later my bolts and gasket fell off so I had to go get another 8 buck gasket and some bolts. But I have been lazy about getting the right bolts so i have some crappy not right size ones on that i found lying around my garage. Long story short. I should have put the right bolts on in the first place so i wouldn't have to make three trips to the dealer and about thirty bucks.

<font color=green> That which is cannot be that which is not, except in the minds and hands of humans. </font color=green>

michael_loomis

Reaction
Matt , i feel ya , ive had to cahnge my mount 3 times ! i've finally chained it down to where it can only move about 1/2 an inch. I didnt realize the engine twisting would have an effect on the crank sensor , but i guess anything is possible with all this electronic crap under our hoods! my truck never cuts out , but it does ping if im hard on the gas going uphill. inevitably , it will engage me with the flashing check engine light torture , minus about 20 horsepower.