Motor Mounts

blind655

Reaction
When replacing motor mounts is it better to go with an polyurethane mount or use the stock replacement mount. I have heard it some times is better to stick with the stock ones.

Thanks
Mike

A suburban might not be as good as a truck, but it comes damn close with 8 people in it

ntsqd

Reaction
I'd look into those that Autofab sells.

TS

I used to swerve around my halucinations, now I drive right thru them.

In_the_works

Reaction
Yea, those looked pretty well constructed if I remember correctly. I think baja concepts sells 'em, otherwise, the have 'em on the autofab site.

'96 F-150 4x4 ex cab
'02 Maico 250
'03 Sonoma

blind655

Reaction
Yeah those look real strong. The only thing is I have a 98 Chevy and the web page said they only go up to 92. So far Energy Suspension makes the only aftermarket mounts I have found that fit my truck. Has anyone had any experience with them?

Thanks
Mike

A suburban might not be as good as a truck, but it comes damn close with 8 people in it

tedmales

Reaction
are the old ones worn out, or just gonna do it for gp? for the most part factory is the best way, always rubber. it isolates the vibration better than urethane does, and its cheaper too. the only question i have is if your replacing them, the truck is pretty new, what made them go bad? check the transmission mount also, i would do all of them either way you go just to be safe.

life is too short to be small

blind655

Reaction
Thanks for the advice. The reason i am replacing them is with the locker I have in the rear the drive line gets a lot of jolts and torqued when im running out in the desert. I have had those mounts in for over two years with a lot of abuse of them. So i figured I might as well replace them now before they go out. Also i was starting to get a small clunk when shifting, I checked the mounts and they were loose, so i tightened them and the clunk stopped. A few days ago the same clunk came back…so the mounts probably have something to do with it. I will also be replacing the transmission mount.

Thanks
Mike

ntsqd

Reaction
I'd call John and ask him about late models. The '99 LS1 I'm working on putting a YJ for a friend uses mounts that look to be exactly like those in my '79 Sub.

TS

SDranger

Reaction
Along the same thread, ive heard that when you replace 4.0 ranger motor mounts, its better to use 2.9 mounts because they are a stronger rubber than the 4.0 ones, that ford made the 4.0 ones softer for less vibration and thats why 4.0's have that little engine shock dealie. Is this true?

97 Ranger 4x4
02 CR125

tedmales

Reaction
the ls1 has different motor mounts then a regular smc. but they can be adapted to anything. i usually just use a bushing and shell, and make the mount. way easier then trying to find a kit! 4 tabs, a flat plate and some bushings makes one hell of a motot mount system. works for me anyway

life is too short to be small

ntsqd

Reaction
Could be that the bolt pattern is different, I'm going off of memory on that, but it is a std clamshell type rubber insolator.

TS