Motor Protesting

McCredie A

Reaction
I have no dog in the fight but a few questions on how the system works. I have been reading on social medial how Brock was protested for his motor in class 10. A lot of the comments state he will have to buy a new motor. Is there truth to that? Due to these motors being tagged is that motor history? Since it was disassembled due to a protest can it be reassembled and re-tagged to be legal? I understand the protester has to come up with $500, who gets that money? Is there any repercussions for the protester if the motor is found to be compliant? IE pay to reassemble the motor or a flat fee?

Any information on the process would be appreciated.

offroadracer516

Reaction
Brock gets to keep the 500$. From what my dad has told me in his short course days. He would be torn down all the time. Made a fortune off it. They had to protest a specific part. 500$ Rods. 500$ Heads. 500$ Valves. Ect. Add's up quick. Seems like they did 500$ and check the whole motor this time in 2018. I could be wrong though.

Slippery P

Reaction
Make the protest fee $5000, as for today’s fiasco Turnkey lost time and money dealing with this, Danzio lost time and money dealing with this, and now Brock is out of an engine, has an engine in pieces that could have probably been ran another race, and can no longer purchase a brand new unit from GM as there are none left. Therefore options are run a questionable reman unit which is what you now get from GM (which they sublet the rebuild) to who knows? Or rebuild the current engine torn apart which is going to cost well over the $500 he received from this fiasco as the engine was legal, and then again be possibly labeled as a cheater because it has been rebuilt.

BigBlue&Goldie

Reaction
All costs associated with the protest should be the burden of the protestor. $500 is a joke for all the people/labor involved.

Zac Reish

Reaction
This is a very interesting thread. i agree with the $5,000 as this would be a huge hassle. I’d be pissed. Does the person who got protested get to find out who protested him?

Maybe engine protests be more expensive due the what’s required to get back to whole again.

Slippery P

Reaction
Brock knows who Protested.

GBRACER

Reaction
Sounds like a chess move to take out the competition for the next race ,
Take the $500 and protest the guy back next race !!!!!

Slippery P

Reaction
Yes it will cause a protest war, nothing new in the world of Motorsports protesting.

Bro_Gill

Reaction
Or, do away with the protest and make it claimer rule for the long block. Aren't they suppose to be stck junk yard motors anyway? You know, those 500 buck cheap motors that got the motor rule changed in first place?

Robert Encinas

Reaction
All limited class vehicles are subject to protest and tear down. If the protester puts up the $500 fee to protest the vehicle in front of the him, thats his right , whether it be the motor, suspension, wheelbase or track width, etc. If the vehicle in question passes said protest , the vehicle/driver/owner gets the protesters money. It used to be in class 9 that second place could without question claim the first place cars motor , right at the finish line. The stupid thing was ,back in the day, anyone could protest as long as they put up the $500. I've had an ex owner , at a very prestigious race, protest another car/driver about his hood not being on during the race which he felt gave him an advantage over us. This was stupid and as a result of this action, we havent spoken to him since 1991.

nils888

Reaction
I am all for the tear down rules. It keeps people on there toes . I have had to pull a cylinder head off of the winning protruck at 2 O/clock in the morning in mexico . I did not get paid to do this and the truck owner understood that these things do happen when you win a lot. It cracks me up seeing people crying about getting torn down. It has been going on in racing for many years.

tapeworm

Reaction
Tearing down a sealed motor is different than tearing down a motor that is rebuildable. A stock “sealed” motor is not supposed to be rebuilt so the $500 protest essentially just made this motor obsolete in anything but a prerunner. You protest a 1600 Vw motor and that guy just started the prep job early for the next race. Two totally different protests in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using race-deZert

Chubs

Reaction
How is a sealed engine only usable in a prerunner after its been opened up for inspection? That seems dumn, you can’t assume that engine is going to last all season without something needing attention inside. Maybe I don’t understand the whole deal behind sealed engines?

fatsaz

Reaction
If the motor was tagged from let's say turn key and was actually looked at to get the tag why would you have to tear it apart?

McCredie A

Reaction
According to the protester via instagram the motor will be able to be rebuilt. And if opted Turn key will rebuild it at no charge. Does anyone know if there os any validity to either of those statements?

I can see how turn key lost money on this. Jason could you please elaborate on how Danzio lost time and money?

fatsaz

Reaction
U have to pay to get your tag for your motor. 250 to 300 bucks. Why pay that and still have motor pulled a part. Don't make sense to me.

A Vance

Reaction
Isnt turnkey the company that seals the motors? That is why they did the tear down. They can put it back together and reseal it. Am I wrong?