Motor Protesting

DZT RCR

The only thing the claiming rule is supposed to do, is keep everyone from putting boat loads of money into something, because not all teams could afford to do that. If a competitor can buy your stuff for 500 or 1000$. it stops teams from putting 5K into something they might lose for 500 or a 1000 that's not the same as a protest! Ask TEAM HONDA they lost Marty Tripes handmade 250 Factory Works bike for a song way back to the claiming rule!

43mod

$500 and bringing my scales to the track caused a hell of an uproar from the inex tech guy at carson city a few years ago. My kid could win the dash heat and main and still only be 2 points ahead of a local each week. Right before the main i protested. After race weight was 760 pounda for our car. 640 for other. Only 110 pounds lite ! Protests when done correctly have a place in limited racing. My son won the main and championship that night, legally.

Wendell #527

A sealed engine that needs to be torn down to be checked makes about as much sense as paying for a hooker and having to buy her flowers, dinner and sweet talk her into laying down for you.

Crusty Shellback

So true Wendell. If it's a sealed engine, and only the engine sealer has the seals, and they are destroyed if you tamper with the motor, then how can you protest a sealed engine if it's easy to tell it's been tampered with?
Or did the protester think they got a better engine than them?

Steve Marolda

It would only take about 3-4 minutes for a racer to come up with some phony seals, it happens all the time. I should know, we did it! ha

Crusty Shellback

There are simple ways to make them unique and with serial numbers that cant be recreated. We use them all the time with military ammunition.

turbodon

Honestly, the "seals" are not that impressive. If you were determined enough, you could tear down the engine after it was sealed, port the head, raise the compression, put cams in it etc, and still get a seal back on there to fake it. If you're a continual winner in a spec class, it seems appropriate, even if it's sealed IMO.
If it was legitimately 5k to protest, it wouldn't happen. That would just encourage people to compromise the seal to add power, they'd sleep easy knowing that nobody would ever gamble 5k to have them torn down.

As for the engine being useless after a tear down? I don't get it.... The thing was raced hard all season with just oil changes. So what, you take it apart and put it back together & re seal. I'm failing to see how life or performance was taken off any of the components by them being disassembled and reassembled.

Crusty Shellback

So from what I'm reading here, the "sealed engine program" is basically to keep the honest people honest. But is very poor at keeping the cheaters honest.

ACarp

I wonder if they impound the car on the spot then pull the engine out themselves? Or do they allow the team to send the engine in later?

Blackmutt

The $500 protest fee has been around for decades and should go up. Not necessarily $5K but perhaps to $1K. As I recall, if the vehicle is found to be illegal, it is DQ'd and the protester gets his money back. However, if it was legal, the driver who was protested gets the money. Only drivers or owners in the same class can protest a vehicle that finished in front of them.

McCredie A

Does anyone know if the motor can be reassembled? If so who can do it? If it is only Turn key what is the cost?

MTPyle

The way I understand it for a BITD tag it must be factory internals and can NOT be rebuilt. So if someone protest a BITD tagged motor the motor basically is unusable for BITD. Clearly the current system is not OK. someone can pay $500 to protest a BITD motor and regardless of what they find the guy needs to buy a brand new motor and the protestor it just out the $500. I would be so pissed off.

SCORE tagged motors can be rebuilt from any of the certified shops. So a BITD protested motor can be rebuilt and used in SCORE. Really do not understand why BITD and SCORE could not have the same rules. Stupid to have two Spec engine types for the same class. If you run both classes you have to use BITD tagged motor and have less power than the SCORE tagged motor. So to be competitive you need both engines. Which kind of defeats the point of a spec class. LOL

Mike

Zac Reish

Junk yard engines are still an option. It's way cheaper. Obviously... A slight roll of the dice but they come with a warranty from LKQ to where if they are junk you can get another. I've returned one. The ones I've had/kept have all been solid.

Krauss279

To my knowledge and I do not believe the rules have been changed you can rebuild your engine but you must use all factory parts and then you take the engine to turnkey for them to inspect and they reseal it making sure everything is to factory spec.

I think as danzio has said the problem is the cost for a engine builder to rebuild it is as much or more than the cost of a new engine.

drofmij

Junk yard engines are still an option. It's way cheaper. Obviously... A slight roll of the dice but they come with a warranty from LKQ to where if they are junk you can get another. I've returned one. The ones I've had/kept have all been solid.
Zac they have gone up lately, most are double what they were. Some triple, dunno if it’s true but supposedly gm is not doing new crate engines. They are remanufactured

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dan200

#BSF200
this is whats in the rule book...

PROTESTS
SGP1:

The director, or operations manager, with or without protest, has the right to penalize, fine, disqualify, and/or suspend any vehicle or entrant for violation of any Best In The Desert Racing Association/The American Off-Road Racing Series rules. Another entrant within the same class may make technical protests as the entrant being protested. A five hundreddollar ($500) cash fee must accompany protests for each item protested. The protest must be in writing along with the fee and be delivered to the Operations Manager or Director no later than 30 minutes after the official end of time limit. If the protest is proved valid the $500 fee will be returned to the protestor. If the protest is proved invalid the $500 goes to the person who was protested. Protests considered by the Operations Manager that shows a lack of sportsmanship may not be accepted. The Operations Manager will direct the technical director to check the protested items. The decision of the Operations Manager and director will be final. Interpretation of all rules along with violations and penalties thereof are at the discretion of Best In The Desert Racing Association. Penalties levied at the discretion of Best In The Desert Racing Association are final.

SGP2:

Any entrant who has an official protest lodged against his/her race vehicle must submit to an inspection of the protested items. Failure to submit to inspection will result in automatic disqualification and/or suspension.

Those attending the inspection(s) will be as follows:

A. The protester or their designated representative.
B. The protested competitor or their designated representative.
C. The protested competitor’s mechanic.
D. Best In The Desert Racing Association officials.
E. Best In The Desert Racing Association Chief Technical Inspector who shall supervise the required inspection of the protested items(s).
F. At the discretion of Best In The Desert Racing Association, with the approval of the protested competitor, members of the press will be permitted to observe for reporting purposes only.
G. No other persons shall be present nor witness the proceedings until the inspection has been completed.

dan200

#BSF200
I posted that ^^^

so I could post this...

IMG_7616.JPG
IMG_7617.JPG

No go back and Look at SGP2- A

“A rule you can’t or don’t enforce is not a rule”. Ramsey El Wardini

This whole process is flawed. They should do this trackside. Right then, right there in front of God and everybody.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk