Motorola MCS200 for chase radio

f4mdtwr

RDC Crypto
I am looking at the Motorola MCS2000 radio to use as my chase radio. It's a 110 watt radio, so it's similar to the Kenwood TK790H. Is anyone here using the Motorola MCS2000 in their chase truck or race car and what is your opinion about the radio. I've been having some trouble finding the TK790H and the Motorola MCS2000 is reasonably priced. I really appreciate your feedback.

Rslhc

RDC Crypto
Wow. Have been looking at this. Seems like a great find. Programming software looks a little hard to find. But this is potentially a great chase radio setup. Would love to hear some feedback.

wrightracing.net

RDC Crypto
Website
www.wrightracing.net
A few years back I picked one of those up after checking out the specification and options available for the radio's. I also light how lightweight they are and small they are compared to the tk790 Kenwood. That's where my like for them ended. Once I got it and started messing with it more and more I realized it was going to be a pain in the rear to program and to find the right program for the radio. The problem is Motorola didn't make a universal program for all the radios so they made it very difficult to find a generic program just program all radios like Kenwood does. And I also came to find out that there is all kinds of sub models that call for a different program needed. On top of all that the programming software is not user friendly and is dos based so is super outdated for today's computers. Fortunately I have an old laptop that I have DOS on just for this purpose of programming old Kenwood tk730 radios that require old programming software. I was really hopeful for the Motorola radio to be another radio I could pick up and refurbish for resale, but in the end I decided it wasn't worth it. I have been specializing in kenwoods for 21 years and have tried several different manufacturers but keep coming back to Kenwood after all this time.

I do still keep my eye out for other stuff out there I do like the Yaesu handheld radios but they are up there in price and not a lot of people want to buy them with all those cheap blue Chinese handheld radios on the market like Rugged cells.