• Forum membership has its advantages....

Motorsports Safety Solutions - Heavy Rescue Replacement

ndvalium

Rescue Director
So Yesterday, while driving my 2000 Excursion, the motor finally gave up on me. With over 300,000 on a gas truck she has lived a long hard life. Some may remember she was nearly totaled as a baby when Will Staats parked his 8 truck on top of her back in 2005 at her first race. She was still wearing her paper plates back then.

I consulted with several people I know and trust and it seems like a poor idea to try and rebuild her heart as the rest of the drivetrain and vehicle still have heavy mileage on it..Even just a new motor would be over 10,000.00.

I have started a go fund me to try and get her replaced. This isnt just my personal truck, but one that carries thousands of pounds in fire suppression, extrication and medical equipment to all of our races. It is the back bone of our team. It makes me sick honestly that she is gone.

I am working with Team Ford for a quality replacement truck and if you are able to help, it would be much appreciated.

If you are not into the go fund me type thing, I completely understand. we would graciously accept any donations of any amount to us directly as well:

Motorsports Safety Solutions
1400 Colorado St
Boulder City, NV 89005

You can call or email me if you have any questions:

David Nehrbass
[email protected]
702-278-0895

Click here to support Off Road Rescue Vehicle Replacement by David Nehrbass

Chris Tobin

So Yesterday, while driving my 2000 Excursion, the motor finally gave up on me. With over 300,000 on a gas truck she has lived a long hard life. Some may remember she was nearly totaled as a baby when Will Staats parked his 8 truck on top of her back in 2005 at her first race. She was still wearing her paper plates back then.

I consulted with several people I know and trust and it seems like a poor idea to try and rebuild her heart as the rest of the drivetrain and vehicle still have heavy mileage on it..Even just a new motor would be over 10,000.00.

I have started a go fund me to try and get her replaced. This isnt just my personal truck, but one that carries thousands of pounds in fire suppression, extrication and medical equipment to all of our races. It is the back bone of our team. It makes me sick honestly that she is gone.

I am working with Team Ford for a quality replacement truck and if you are able to help, it would be much appreciated.

If you are not into the go fund me type thing, I completely understand. we would graciously accept any donations of any amount to us directly as well:

1400 Colorado St
Boulder City, NV 89005

You can call or email me if you have any questions:

David Nehrbass
[email protected]
702-278-0895

Click here to support Off Road Rescue Vehicle Replacement by David Nehrbass
Dave,

You've probably heard me say this many times, but I'll say it again and it really seems even more fitting in your application. PUT A DIESEL IN IT!!!

Scrap the V10 or V8 Ford engine and put a Cummins Inline 6 Diesel engine in it along with either a Ford 5R110, 4R100 or Dodge 48RH transmission. This is a VERY solid and reliable combination that will last you several hundred thousands of miles and haul anything you would ever like with it all while providing MUCH better fuel mileage to boot!!!

Look into a company like DeStroked as they sell EVERYTHING to make the swap work!

Feel free to let me know if you want more info I'd be glad to help as much as I can...

Kyle D

Exactly what he said!! Maybe not for right now immediately to get to Parker but with everything else being set up on it already, do the engine swap sometime over the course of the racing season and call it a day. Destroked makes the swap very simple and has taken all the guess work out of it already. I can't think of what team it is in BITD that has it but there is a brown Ford F-250 with a black flatbed on it that has a Cummins swap done already. Maybe someone knows who it is and they can chime in on it.

ndvalium

Rescue Director
Dave,

You've probably heard me say this many times, but I'll say it again and it really seems even more fitting in your application. PUT A DIESEL IN IT!!!

Scrap the V10 or V8 Ford engine and put a Cummins Inline 6 Diesel engine in it along with either a Ford 5R110, 4R100 or Dodge 48RH transmission. This is a VERY solid and reliable combination that will last you several hundred thousands of miles and haul anything you would ever like with it all while providing MUCH better fuel mileage to boot!!!

Look into a company like DeStroked as they sell EVERYTHING to make the swap work!

Feel free to let me know if you want more info I'd be glad to help as much as I can...
I really wish I had done that option many years ago - Now I have an old and tired truck. It is more than just motor. Springs, Wiring, transmission, all are showing their age for sure. I have beat the crap out of this thing for years.

I asked around and it seems like most of the conversions are running into the 15K range by the time you change everything out.

I am open to suggestions and guidance for sure -

The Truck, that I am looking at is 38,000 for a new 2016 4x4 crew cab f350 with the Diesel in it. The balance in the fund raiser is for radios, emergency lights, wrap and a few other mods like shocks to give it a pro look and better handling for our abuse. to give it the pro look. I am just struggling the thought of dropping a bunch of money into something that may not have the remainder of it last much longer. A 5 year powertrain warranty kinda sounds like a benefit right now after multiple shop visits the last couple months.

bajaherbie

Is that price a typo?

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

vegasloki

Were it my ride I wouldn't convert it to a Destroked. Looks like a great kit, but a $10k plus and time investment on a nearly 20 year old will never pay back especially when the donor has 300k on it. That's throwing good money after bad. For those miles and that age that's a vehicle that's been cared for. Time for him to retire (the truck, not Dave...) or become a race car. :D

A 2017 F350 crew cab diesel with a service bed stickers at about $50k in a work/fleet trim package. An F550 crew cab diesel with a cube-cut away service bed is about $58k. That would be a rocking case/rescue wagon and still pull a hellava trailer. Upgrading from an Excursion (which is the F150 platform) an F250 diesel would be a good step up.

I loved my last F150, I don't know I'd go Ford on a diesel. I'd at least look at a RAM 2500 or GMC 2500 diesel though the Team Ford tie in is good. I wouldn't even consider a gasoline truck for this app.

EDIT: this could be what he's looking at... New 2016 Ford Super Duty F-350 SRW For Sale | Las Vegas NV

Last edited:

ndvalium

Rescue Director
Were it my ride I wouldn't convert it to a Destroked. Looks like a great kit, but a $10k plus and time investment on a nearly 20 year old will never pay back especially when the donor has 300k on it. That's throwing good money after bad. For those miles and that age that's a vehicle that's been cared for. Time for him to retire (the truck, not Dave...) or become a race car. :D

A 2017 F350 crew cab diesel with a service bed stickers at about $50k in a work/fleet trim package. An F550 crew cab diesel with a cube-cut away service bed is about $58k. That would be a rocking case/rescue wagon and still pull a hellava trailer. Upgrading from an Excursion (which is the F150 platform) an F250 diesel would be a good step up.

I loved my last F150, I don't know I'd go Ford on a diesel. I'd at least look at a RAM 2500 or GMC 2500 diesel though the Team Ford tie in is good. I wouldn't even consider a gasoline truck for this app.

EDIT: this could be what he's looking at... New 2016 Ford Super Duty F-350 SRW For Sale | Las Vegas NV
Shhhhhh! Don't be showing it off!!! Someone will scoop that up long before I have a chance!

So I have talked with Steve and yes that is the truck I am looking at as a replacement. He is cutting a deal as well as donating cash towards the purchase aside from the discount pricing.

My excursion is actually on the 250 /1 ton chassis so it is a heavy girl and we regularly have a 13,000 trailer that we take to multiday events so that is much more fitting for the 350.

But yes. That is the truck I am interested in as a replacement.

David Nehrbass

Robin Hood

I was just in the market and there was a F350, 4X4, crew cab, 4 door, diesel, long bed, XL trim in Phoenix for $37,999.

If you are interested I will go back thru my notes and find it for you.

vegasloki

Shhhhhh! Don't be showing it off!!! Someone will scoop that up long before I have a chance!
I tried to edit it out but looks like there is an edit time out. :eek: Even at $40k that's a good deal and it's an XL trim package not like the fleet trucks. The three last street cars I had/have are Fords. A 2003 Escape that developed serious electrical issues at about 70k going through 4 alternators in 5k miles. Gaudin and Friendly couldn't figure it out. The 2008 gas truck was bullet proof. Around the time I got the truck the Ford diesels were having recall problems but they seemed to have sorted it out. The wife's 2013 Focus just had a serious trans recall at 35k and wouldn't shift out of 2nd. They had to replace the TCU and change the computer. I'm hesitant on Ford these days because of that though my mom's 2016 Edge is a nice ride.

Kyle D

The excursion was never an F150. Your thinking expedition.

ndvalium

Rescue Director
I tried to edit it out but looks like there is an edit time out. :eek: Even at $40k that's a good deal and it's an XL trim package not like the fleet trucks. The three last street cars I had/have are Fords. A 2003 Escape that developed serious electrical issues at about 70k going through 4 alternators in 5k miles. Gaudin and Friendly couldn't figure it out. The 2008 gas truck was bullet proof. Around the time I got the truck the Ford diesels were having recall problems but they seemed to have sorted it out. The wife's 2013 Focus just had a serious trans recall at 35k and wouldn't shift out of 2nd. They had to replace the TCU and change the computer. I'm hesitant on Ford these days because of that though my mom's 2016 Edge is a nice ride.
Yeah this is kinda a great deal. I have always been a Ford fan and what they do for our sport vs any other manufacturer does not go unnoticed. Not to mention have you ever bought anything other than a Ford and then had to sit in Casey's office. He never lets you live it down. That man is loyal to the brand for sure. I am going to do what I can to make it happen. And with a factory warranty can breathe easier for a few years.

David Nehrbass

Chris Tobin

That is a great deal, and the extra support from the guys at Team Ford is a big bonus for you as well... Hopefully the new truck will do well for you. Maybe I can help with some of the new upgrades if we can find someone local to shoot the install to do tech articles... or maybe just a feature on the truck when it is done.

For sure a diesel is the best way to go with what you are doing with the truck!!!

ndvalium

Rescue Director
I am always humbled by many in our off road community. My phone, email, and social media have been pretty busy this morning with people with ideas and contributions towards this. A trophy Truck team is committing 5000.00 towards this and another 1,000 each from two other donors independent of the go fund me amount. So in less than 24 hours it is 1/4 of the way towards the goal. I am so very appreciative of everyone's help. With that commitment, Steve / Team Ford have pulled the car from the inventory to hold it for us as we try and reach the over all goal. Those that are also offering further sponsorship and support once it is received I am so thankful for as well.

My most sincere appreciation.

ndvalium

Rescue Director
That is a great deal, and the extra support from the guys at Team Ford is a big bonus for you as well... Hopefully the new truck will do well for you. Maybe I can help with some of the new upgrades if we can find someone local to shoot the install to do tech articles... or maybe just a feature on the truck when it is done.

For sure a diesel is the best way to go with what you are doing with the truck!!!
Chris - That would be amazing. Let me know how we can make this happen.

IN !
So stoked for the effort of Dave, his crew, and all donating!
Thanks Tim - Our off road family is amazing.

It is most sincerely appreciated sir - Thank you.