• Forum membership has its advantages....

Motorsports Safety Solutions - Vegas to Reno and beyond Medical Plans

ndvalium

Rescue Director
Hello all,

Vegas to Reno is rapidly approaching and Motorsports Safety Solutions has been working for months with Best in the Desert on numerous aspects of this event to better our capabilities to serve racers, staff, crews and volunteers. We are confident we have made some positive changes and while we hope none of them have to be used, we know they will be in place for all of you.

First off, the week will start with qualifying out in the "Las Vegas" area. We have an Advanced Life Support Ambulance that will be ready to transport during qualifying. 5 of our Motorsports Safety Solutions Safety Trucks will be stationed around the course as well as doing a quick safety inspection of Helmets, Suits and HNR's before anyone leaves the line. Make sure that everyone has the proper suits / helmets or you will not be allowed to leave the line. There is zero grace period for improper suits and helmets. Additionally, unless assigned on a 911 / Emergency Response, Mercy Air will have a Helicopter stationed in the area for emergency transport.

Tech / Contingency day our team has 2000 bottles of water, misters, awnings and a PortaCool cooler that we will be sharing with you outside. We are not selling anything but we want to make sure your time out there you stay cool as possible and stay hydrated. We will have team members out there all day with trashcans fun of ice cold bottled water. grab a bottle and say hello.

Race Day:

Motorsports Safety Solutions will have 22 teams out on course. In addition to every pit area, teams will also be at the Start and Finish. We have one Advanced team that will stay with the Lead Bikes for the race and one Advanced team that will stay with the Lead Trucks. We have a sweep team that will be the last ones off the course and 2 roving teams in the Tonopah and Hawthorne areas.

Historically, we have had 2 patients flown out per Vegas to Reno over the last 10 years. They have almost always been MC/Quad racers.

We have also worked to reposition medical helicopters for rapid response for the event. To start, Mercy Air will be bring a helicopter up to Beatty in the morning to stage until all trucks are out of the area. They will be available for immediate response and cut response time to areas south of Goldfield by over an hour.

Care Flight Reno is also on board sending a Helicopter to Tonopah first thing in the morning. Typically this is a 2 hour response for patients and will cut response time dramatically. As the race progresses north, the Helicopters will shift north to maintain rapid response to where the bulk of the pack of race vehicles are. Once they reach the Fallon area they will head back to base in Reno. We are extremely thankful the Care Flight is working so well with us for this event.

So far this year, at our events we have flown out 6 people this year totally more than 260,000 in bills generated for Medical Helicopters.

I can not stress this enough and have encouraged people for years. Please sign up for the supplemental helicopter insurance. If you have not done so, here is a simple link. It automatically goes into our own group code now that provides a few dollar discount. I have enrolled each member of my team in this program as you simply never know. It could be a racer or even one of your chase team that needs help. After they get the help you don't want them lost trying to cover a 50k bill.

Air Methods Corporation

So what is this insurance? It is very simple. For 35.00 for an individual or 70.00 for a household, you get coverage over and above your normal insurance that covers any flight Air Methods flies you out. Air Methods operates in numerous states in the country and specifically, operates in 90% of the areas that BITD operates. I encourage their insurance simply because they are the service I request when you need to be flown out of Parker, Laughlin, Pahrump, Vegas, or even Lincoln County. This insurance is not just for BITD race events. It covers you test in So Cal, Skiing in the mountains or anywhere in an Air Methods area that you need flown out. The coverage is for an entire year. I strongly encourage you to follow the link to our group code and sign up you, your family, and your teams. The more that we show activity on our group code will also help us in the future leverage additional helicopter stand by's for events. Air Methods will be present in the registration room to answer questions if you have them.

Motorsports Safety Solutions and Best in the Desert get nothing from this coverage. We are simply trying to provide an easy access and quick way to enroll in the program. It took me 4 minutes to enroll myself.

Yes there are several states that have legislation that prohibit this from being offered if that is your only mailing address. I am attaching a map that shows those states. I am also waiting for an answer on out of Country racers.

image1 (4).jpeg

Also the north half of the Vegas to Reno is not covered by Air Methods. Care Flight Reno is a separate company. They have their own insurance program in place. If you are interested in this program, you must have your own personal insurance in order to take advantage of their program:

Membership - REMSA

Please dont hesitate to contact me if you have any questions. You can PM me or feel free to call or text me and I will be happy to answer what I can or put you in contact with those that can.

I hope everyone has an amazing race. Stay hydrated! Stay safe!

David Nehrbass
702-278-0895
Motorsports Safety Solutions

kdneo

I signed up for this a couple months ago, we race SNORE, but most of the race areas are still the same. I am also a paramedic and can tell you the time saved by a helo from a remote area in the event of a serious injury can make all the difference. Getting the helos to move up to a better staging area is no easy task, kudos to David for making this happen for racers! Helos are super expensive to operate and getting them to move from their home base without a true scene call is not easy to do, this is a big deal for racing! Thank you David for making this happen! $70 to save my family potentially $25k plus is worth every penny. Also helo crews are staffed by a paramedic and flight nurse, in most places they have higher capabilities than just an ALS ambulance. I also have no connection with MSS or Air Methods, though I have used air methods for many patients in my career.

ndvalium

Rescue Director
you say the North half of Vegas to Reno is not covered by Air Methods

ok where dose the North half start?
There is no magic line as depending on responses mercy air may go north of tonopah and Careflight could end up south of if multiple patients.

I know that isn’t a great answer but either Service could respond from start to about millers. Then Careflight will exclusively cover from there to finish.

I don’t have the experience with careflights insurance but included the link in the original post if you are interested in their program in addition or instead of.

Sent from my iPhone using race-deZert mobile app

ndvalium

Rescue Director
Sure would like to see Colorado and Utah included. Any idea why they are not?
I have been asking this for over a year - For Colorado there is specific legislation that prohibits "subscription" healthcare plans. I would guess that applies in some other states as well. I truly dont understand the way it can be excluded or why an address of where you live vs where you receive assistance matters. Interestingly, Air Methods is headquartered in Colorado so it isn't that they don't serve the area.

Chris Tobin

I have been asking this for over a year - For Colorado there is specific legislation that prohibits "subscription" healthcare plans. I would guess that applies in some other states as well. I truly dont understand the way it can be excluded or why an address of where you live vs where you receive assistance matters. Interestingly, Air Methods is headquartered in Colorado so it isn't that they don't serve the area.
Is Montana in or out??? I don't live in Montana, just curious since the map shows it dark, but white for the name???

TwistyItch

I have been asking this for over a year - For Colorado there is specific legislation that prohibits "subscription" healthcare plans. ... Interestingly, Air Methods is headquartered in Colorado so it isn't that they don't serve the area.
Yeah that is strange since I can get coverage from subscription service from GOES Travel Safety Solutions and use my SPOT device. Hopefully they get that figured out.

ndvalium

Rescue Director
Yeah that is strange since I can get coverage from subscription service from GOES Travel Safety Solutions and use my SPOT device. Hopefully they get that figured out.
It is very important to note- spot is not medical helicopter insurance. It has a search and rescue aspect coverage. For instance in most areas of the country, a search and rescue will evacuate u out and transfer you to medical provider if injured. Spot covers the sar aspect. Not the medical flight.

On Montana- Montana is in. Not sure why the color on the map has the name misread but I checked and they should go through just fine.

I am waiting for a reply on any challenges with having a mailing address in a ‘“blue” state to get around the Gray issues!

Sent from my iPhone using race-deZert mobile app

TwistyItch

It is very important to note- spot is not medical helicopter insurance. It has a search and rescue aspect coverage. For instance in most areas of the country, a search and rescue will evacuate u out and transfer you to medical provider if injured. Spot covers the sar aspect. Not the medical flight.
Ok maybe they need to clarify that they provide one service in CO and UT and that is SAR to get your busted ass to a hospital and after that you are on your own :) I can deal with that because I have global evacuation and medical evacuation insurance and others can also accommodate that lapse in coverage by them. CO and UT - that covers MOAB and Rabbit Valley and other great riding areas.

I appreciate you playing along with me and I know you are not affiliated. Thanks.

ndvalium

Rescue Director
Ok maybe they need to clarify that they provide one service in CO and UT and that is SAR to get your busted ass to a hospital and after that you are on your own :) I can deal with that because I have global evacuation and medical evacuation insurance and others can also accommodate that lapse in coverage by them. CO and UT - that covers MOAB and Rabbit Valley and other great riding areas.

I appreciate you playing along with me and I know you are not affiliated. Thanks.
I bought my first Spot device last week and am learning some of the features and overages. My goal will be to have all my teams having one by next year to track where they are and two way text messaging capabilities for information. We will be testing the Spot X this race if it is worth it.

Chris Tobin

I bought my first Spot device last week and am learning some of the features and overages. My goal will be to have all my teams having one by next year to track where they are and two way text messaging capabilities for information. We will be testing the Spot X this race if it is worth it.
You may want to look into the Garmin InReach products for you and your team especially if communication is a priority...

inReach Explorer+ | Garmin | Handheld Outdoor GPS

AZ7000'

David is in this for the right reasons, to help injured racers and people in general.

The AirMethods company is in it for quite the opposite. Their main revenue is billing Medicare and Medicaid insanely inflated prices and they get paid the full bill from all of us for both emergencies and for broken ankles... For this insurance to pay out you need the right dispatcher, right pilot, be in the right area, have an air methods ship, billed by air methods, with an air methods crew and then they just write off the inflated balance. Med Helicopters are unregulated as far as billing and grabbing all they can, the crew in the ship is great and not getting rich, the executives are killing it on the taxpayers dime. My view is to spend the $70 on a lottery ticket and see what happens, it will be more fun that way. If you are not on Medicare or Medicaid they will work with you on your bill almost ALL of the time. For example we have air method pilots and ships but this insurance will do NADA, not billed by AM.

2 real questions, of the 6 flown out this year at BITD events how many were AirMethods? How many of the 2 V2R average flights would have been written off by this program? I hope all were but what is the real world data?

If you NEED a flight evac you need it and its gonna cost you but can generally bargan it WAY down if paying cash...

TwistyItch

Also to note is that GOES Travel Safety Solutions does NOT cover any race activity. I have a question to them about NORRA and other 'rally' style events. As for the Garmin solution, I think I like the features and pricing model of the Spot-X better, but I have not actually used either - just researching it so far.

Chris Tobin

Also to note is that GOES Travel Safety Solutions does NOT cover any race activity. I have a question to them about NORRA and other 'rally' style events. As for the Garmin solution, I think I like the features and pricing model of the Spot-X better, but I have not actually used either - just researching it so far.
When I was researching for the Baja 1000 last year I was leaning toward the InReach products, and ended up sticking with cell phone and relying on the teams race/chase rented setup with tracking and texting. I don't think the Spot-x was available yet...

Chris Tobin

Looks like the Spot-X is the same as the InReach without the Navigational part... sounds like a good unit. I'll have to put it on my list!

y2kbaja

Not sure how SpotX will work if at all but we all use the Spot Buddy app to track each other. Much more user friendly that the Spot app or website.

ndvalium

Rescue Director
David is in this for the right reasons, to help injured racers and people in general.

The AirMethods company is in it for quite the opposite. Their main revenue is billing Medicare and Medicaid insanely inflated prices and they get paid the full bill from all of us for both emergencies and for broken ankles... For this insurance to pay out you need the right dispatcher, right pilot, be in the right area, have an air methods ship, billed by air methods, with an air methods crew and then they just write off the inflated balance. Med Helicopters are unregulated as far as billing and grabbing all they can, the crew in the ship is great and not getting rich, the executives are killing it on the taxpayers dime. My view is to spend the $70 on a lottery ticket and see what happens, it will be more fun that way. If you are not on Medicare or Medicaid they will work with you on your bill almost ALL of the time. For example we have air method pilots and ships but this insurance will do NADA, not billed by AM.

2 real questions, of the 6 flown out this year at BITD events how many were AirMethods? How many of the 2 V2R average flights would have been written off by this program? I hope all were but what is the real world data?

If you NEED a flight evac you need it and its gonna cost you but can generally bargan it WAY down if paying cash...

I appreciate you asking questions. I and Best in the Desert have zero vested interest in this other than I have watched become a massive stress for people I have flown in. For instance, back when Jordan Poole and Ryan Hancock were flown in, my team set up a fund raiser to help them defer some of the expenses. We thought we did amazing with over 35,000 raised, that was less than half the cost of two helicopter flights for them.

Insurance world is very messy and as someone that spent 15 years on the managerial side of EMS, I am very aware of the hoops. I have also watched more than once one of our racers be denied benefits because they were at a race and that is a violation of MANY private insurances.

Ok - So on a couple of your points:

As far as being at a BITD event, I personally 100% control the responding helicopter choice. I encourage Air Methods program because they serve Parker, Lincoln County, Vegas, Laughlin and the lower portion of the Vegas to Reno. This has zero to do with right pilot / right aircraft or right dispatcher. I personally make the call to air methods direct for response. I am not obligated to response areas defined by local agencies as we are racing on federal land and my emergency operations plan dictates that direction.

Of the 6 flown out this year, First note is they were not all at BITD events. 5 of the 6 were flown out by Air Methods. I personally made the calls for the response and they transported from our scene.The 6th, was in a medical facility that chose to fly him for a broken lower arm after we brought him in and they used their preferred service for the flight. I will expand on that - of the 15 flown out in the last 8 years of the Vegas to Reno, 11 were flown by Air Methods, 3 were flown by Care Flight Reno and one was flown by the TT Coalition Helicopter. Before two years ago, all V2R patients flown were south of Tonopah.

The 30/ 70 dollars invested is nothing when dealing with the costs that you as racers, crews, and even staff deal with to do this event. It was a no brainer for me as the Air Methods Insurance does not restrict for being in a race. Ill take that lottery ticket odds. I invested about 600 bucks this race in a little piece of mind for my team in case something happens on course, or on the road to support this event.

If you are flown, they write off whatever the balance is afterwards. no restrictions on what event or whatever.

ok couple other things I have been asked - "Gray States" using a blue state address. the offical answer is it is not recommended. There are way to many variables and people taking info and matching info when something critical happens. Obviously what you choose to do is up to you.

Sadly, there is zero coverage in this program available for out of country patients. There is a program called MASA that I have never heard of and know nothing about that is valid for Mexico and Canada but I have no personal knowledge in it.

Ol' Curmudgeon

RDC's resident crackpot
I have also watched more than once one of our racers be denied benefits because they were at a race and that is a violation of MANY private insurances.
Confused. Do you mean underwriters breached the contract in violating, or that racers had failed to inform coverage providers the fact that they were involved in a competitive event?

Please check your "conversations." (SAR meeting next week)

Thanks!