Mountain Bikes - Who rides and races? Post your bikes.

Waitin4dv

Reaction
Intense carbine. Riding at Northstar resort and downyville my local trails here in Wildomar off scot road
8AD1C63A-42C8-42D7-B6B2-D85EC50FF35C.jpeg
8ECAD2B0-974D-4EBA-AE84-4E0B2A0156B9.jpeg
48F8F1A6-F4D9-4853-A106-01D83D0DAA92.jpeg
41212955-4219-42D5-8943-104504CFF91C.png

Curtis Guise

Administrator
Reaction
Website
www.offroadaction.com

Curtis Guise

Administrator
Reaction
Website
www.offroadaction.com
It's been awhile since I've posted here. In December I raced the Quick n' Dirty "Dirty 30" race at Barona Oaks MX in Ramona. That was a fun but hard course. Ended up about mid pack in 22nd in Sport 40+.
Then I raced their last race of the 3 race winter series I mentioned above. They shortened the lap a little and took out a big climb for the shorter races.

The California Mountain Bike Series had 3 cross country races at Vail Lake in Temecula the last couple of months. I raced all three of them and got 5th, 4th and 4th. For the last race I cut out beer for the week before to see if that would help get me on the podium. It didn't help LOL. The last race was longer, about 22 miles. First two were 18-19 miles (6.3 mile laps). If I was a year younger in the 40-44 class I would have ended up 2nd...
They have a few XC races up at Big Bear starting mid May. Not sure if I will make it to any of those yet.

Quick n' Dirty starts their weekly summer series April 24th with 8 races. They were trying to do it at Lake Hodges in Escondido on Thursday nights like they used to but covid is still causing problems with that so they are doing it on Saturdays at Barona Oak MX in Ramona again. Quick n' Dirty MTB - SUMMER SERIES - The series that started it all

88175836-_FJ23806.jpg88285687-_FJ15168.jpg

JDDurfey

Reaction
Question for you guys that are into mountain bikes. Are there any decent bikes out there for a "beginner" that just wants a decent bike to ride some trails about once a month or so for less than a grand? And if so, what bike should I look at.

I have a cheap bike I bought second hand that I ride around a little, but I live close to a state park with a bunch of trails that I would like to ride. I could take my beater bike like I used to do in Phoenix, but I am interested in getting a decent bike. But I don't want to drop the kind of money most of these bikes go for, call me cheap I won't be offended.

Waitin4dv

Reaction
Question for you guys that are into mountain bikes. Are there any decent bikes out there for a "beginner" that just wants a decent bike to ride some trails about once a month or so for less than a grand? And if so, what bike should I look at.

I have a cheap bike I bought second hand that I ride around a little, but I live close to a state park with a bunch of trails that I would like to ride. I could take my beater bike like I used to do in Phoenix, but I am interested in getting a decent bike. But I don't want to drop the kind of money most of these bikes go for, call me cheap I won't be offended.
Go on pinkbike.com. It’s like the race dezert of mountain bikes. There may be some real good 26ers. In that range

Curtis Guise

Administrator
Reaction
Website
www.offroadaction.com

You could check classifieds on pinkbike like mentioned above or even craigslist or facebook marketplace. I'm don't know how tall you are but a more modern 27.5" or 29" wheel bike might be more comfortable than an older 26". And getting the right size frame is key. Older bikes were measured in inches (16", 18", 20" etc) but everything is sized, S, M, L, XL now. I'm 6' tall and ride a large. Any big brand sold in bike shops would be good, Specialized, Giant, Trek, Intense, Yeti and more. Hard tails will be cheaper but you can probably find a decent used full suspension around $1k.

JDDurfey

Reaction
Thanks for the advise. I am also 6' tall. I looked on pinkbike in my area and there isn't much in my price range. I will keep looking. I am sure to some degree it is a "you get what you pay for" scenario, but I can't bring myself to pay a bunch for something that doesn't need gas put in it. Heck, I've bought plenty of cars for much less than what some of the used bikes on Pinkbike are going for!