Mountain Bikes - Who rides and races? Post your bikes.

E.Hagle

Reaction
Look at a base model YT. Don’t waste your money on anything new that’s less than $2500. You’ll end up spending the money anyways to replace the cheese wheels and clunky components

Total Loss

Reaction
Look at a base model YT. Don’t waste your money on anything new that’s less than $2500. You’ll end up spending the money anyways to replace the cheese wheels and clunky components
I've been into MTB's since their inception...actually long before when we built our "stingrays" into bmx and downhill bikes in the 70s...even took shocks and forks off a motorcycle and grafted them to a bicycle for our first foray into dual susp around 1975.

That being said...every MTB I've owned has been much better than the last...inc my current 2k Canyon. Granted I'm not racing anymore or doing extreme downhill...but use it for everything. I think I had 2k in my old GT RTS from like 93...and it was crap compared to these.

These new bikes are amazing IMO...even in this price range. I spend the remainder of my dinero elsewhere, as do most that frequent here I would guess.

Robin Hood

Reaction
Thanks for the heads up. I have not made a purchase yet. After some research I learned that about 2 grand would be a good starting point for me. I was thinking about a Trek hard tail, but the more videos I watched the more I realized I should just double my investment and go for full suspension. I had not looked at Canyon bikes. I have watched a bunch of good video reviews of the Polygon D7 which is $1,800 or so that is about where I set my budget at. I am not in a rush and am riding my used GT right now that is a pile, but gets me exercise.

I have a 2013 Specialized Camber Pro (Medium) that I am planning to put up for sale in the fall. It's a really nice carbon bike with carbon wheels. The Pro was the top of the line Specialized Camber model at the time. This bike does have the 2X drive-train. In 2014 it went to 1X drive-train and became the S-works bike. I would let it go for $2,800.

Personally, I have found that the best value is to buy older top of the line bikes with low miles and excellant condition. You can get into a top of the line, full carbon setup with 1X drivetrain starting at $3500 if you are patient. The last two bikes I picked up, full carbon including wheels, etc. I paid in the $3500 range for. They don't come up often, but occasionally you can find a good deal.

Last edited:

JDDurfey

Reaction
3k is the bottom $ I would spend on any bike. Especially if you have any sort of prior skill set ( moto )
If I had the places to ride in my area like I did when is lived in AZ or like there are in other parts of the country I would go big and spend a bunch of money. In my area I will mostly be riding basic trails with an occasional narly downhill. And with the limited amount of time I have to ride I can't justify spending huge money on a bike.

I travel for work and I am only home about 8 days a month and most of that time is filled with hanging out with the family and working on the "honey-do list" or working on my ranch.

CHASER

Reaction
My wife has a Jeffsy. I have a Capra and Tues. All great bikes. Wait for YT to have a outlet sale and then get there early. The prices can't be beat. I got my Tues brand new for 2200 cause it had a few little scratches.

Curtis Guise

Administrator
Reaction
Website
www.offroadaction.com
I did a small group ride on the 11th checking out some of the Belgian Waffle Ride course and the overall ride getting out there and back was about 50 miles. I felt good so I decided to enter the BWR Wafer race that happened yesterday which was the 71 mile course I mentioned in my last post.

A big thunderstorm blew through north county at about 5am and cleared out quick. I was looking forward to less dust but not the humidity with the mid 80’s temps later in the day.
I started with a friends cousin that I just met on Saturday and we kept a good moderate pace for the first half. At about mile 40 he decided to back off a little so I kept going with a couple guys I know from weekly group rides that I do sometimes. We kept a good pace going and saved ourselves for the big climb at the end which was about 5 miles long and almost 2k feet of climbing. The grade was about 15% at a couple spots. The end of the big climb was double peak in San Marcos (if anyone is familiar with that). Then it was about 4-5 miles of downhill in the dirt and pavement to the finish. One of the guys I was with was having leg cramps but he took some took some of the leg cramp pills that they gave us at registration and they did their job. They were also giving out pickle juice at the feed station before the big climb and that’s supposed to help also. Sounds weird but it worked for him.

We got 1 mile from the finish and the leader of the Waffle race (132 miles) passed us. They only started about 20-30 minutes before us so it’s crazy how fast the pros are. At about mile 35 the Wafer course turned around and the full Waffle course kept going out to Ramona and back from there.
I have no idea how I placed because I haven’t seen any results online yet. My goal was to finish and I’m guessing we came in at about mid pack but we’ll see. There were hundreds, if not 1000+ in our wave. I heard there were about 4000 riders overall so not sure yet how many raced the Wafer.

I follow Mark Miller on Strava and he raced the full Waffle course and finished in 9 hours 10 minutes.

7C086747-859E-413C-91FC-D4FE62C25C4E.jpeg87F5A558-9406-4074-93E0-8C9227DFA2C2.jpeg

This was the start.
0C78A7B1-B5FE-4ABA-A6B3-2FB23711EC50.jpeg

10705B4E-9733-49C4-AB8A-4B104CFC95FA.jpeg

Single track near Lake Hodges. There was a big traffic jam at this spot. It was totally rideable but once a couple people decide to get off the bike to walk a small rock section that screwed it up for everyone...
BE83EF72-9B99-496F-9B8B-317ADDD3B557.jpeg

Lake Hodges. My friends cousin was rocking the pink my little pony unicorn jersey LOL. He also had a speaker blasting music for 40 miles until it died.
2F20E5CC-79FF-4E24-B48E-D1F70D6D26E1.jpegA8476FE6-6C56-430B-8ADF-8BD8A4CA0C75.jpeg906DE0D3-20A5-4E4A-911A-E7DF1C4365C5.jpeg

One of the feed stations before the last big climb.

AB070AAE-42DC-41AA-8217-84EDCD7CAD34.jpeg88D5BFC7-7086-40D7-8E5A-52E885A37BF9.jpeg
Top of double peak.
8E6056E2-994E-4883-B2F2-0D7DEF7A3B76.jpeg

Last edited: