Mounting Spairs?

Littlenutts

Reaction
I searched the forum and came up with nothing so here we go...

Can you still get good use out of the rear view mirror with vertical mounted spares? I am getting ready to start building the bed cage and like the function and style of this set up. I will have two 35inc Baja’s with full bed cage on a '95 T100. Cheers!!

dezerts10

BANG!! BANG!!
Reaction
i have two vertical spares on my truck and can use the rear view mirror still. but mine are not 35's only little 31's for now. i have my stock bed still just cut out whole in the rear of the bed and have probably about 1/4 of the tires recessed under the bed line with a cradle under them. one thing i have found though is when a friend nerfs me he usually hits the tires cause they are pretty low and not to protected. I believe steve form HK motorsports i think has two mounted this way in his F150 he might be able to help out also

Gregg

gary

Reaction
truck's not a t100, just a mini, but with 33's back there...vision is okay...and that was before the slight cage redo and the real straps, which keep 'em in place 10x better, so they dont lean in like they used to...

Attachments

Littlenutts

Reaction
Cool..I will have to see what kind of room I have after the fuel cell .

Steve_HKmtrsprts

Reaction
Yeah mine are 35's mounted on top of the bed. There is a little blocking but I haven't had a problem with accidently cutting people off. Plus my truck sits a little higher in the front so I can see a little over the top of the tires.

In_the_works

Reaction
Has anyone mounted their spares vertiaclly on the sides of the rear of their bed? How much worse is the vision in that case? Sort of like this only wider...

Attachments

SpareChangeRacng

Reaction
I have thought about doing it kind of like the pic, but the tires would be on the other side of the cage. I have yet to see anyone do this. I think it would open up the view out the back though. Steve

fishd00d

What A Joke
Reaction
Wes Huston has them on the back sides of his bedcage with the fuel cell in the middle.

bajaboy

Reaction
Like Gregg, I had a little cut out in the area the 2 vertical spares were mounted and It was not bad. If you go to one of import shops you can get one of those rear views with the weird glass that expands your viewing area that helps out alittle.

Bajaboy

Littlenutts

Reaction
I was planning to run one of the big replacment mirrors that you see in race cars/trucks. that should help. The other reason I am conserned is if the man pulls me over and trys to sight me for blocked vison...

dezerts10

BANG!! BANG!!
Reaction
hopefully by the end of the year my truck will have a complete cage front to reat and im gonna mount my tires next to the bedsides with a fuel cell between them. i dont really like my bed cage now cause i cant get my dirt bike in my truck so when i redo it its gonna be like you mentioned. as far as problems with cops for saying i cant see its not a problem. i have been pulled over my fair share amount of times in the last year or so never once has a cop gave me a hard time about anything but my battery in the bed. its not "cool" but as long as your not a prick to the cop they usually dont care about anything excpet for the infraction you commited at tleast thats what i have noticed in my oassions.

Gregg

Rprice

Reaction
how much are straps that hold the tires down when there in the vertical position i know when the tires laying down you can just use normal dirtbike ratchet tie downs but those are a lot beefier.

JOSH

Reaction
Desert Performance has them for $17.00 Each
760-343-5003

In_the_works

Reaction
That was my reasoning behind wanting the spares on the sides: to leave as much bed space as possible for fitting a couple of bikes in. Does anyone have any pictures of examples?

fishd00d

What A Joke
Reaction
There is no law that you have to be able to see out of your back window. It could be completly blocked if you want. You also dont have to have a rear view mirror....

Just like trucks with shells and bed boxes and stuff.....

dave

Reaction
Not sure about a law , however I do believe they say "As long as you have two side mirros" Driver and pass , you can have the back window blocked.

Disco_Chief

Reaction
You do not have to a rear view mirror if you have two side mirors. (think of semis and boxtrucks) But if you only have a driver side miror rear view is mandatory so says an "informed friend"

In_the_works

Reaction
Who sells those rubber/urethane? x-shaped bushings that are holding the tires in between the spinner and the wheel?

SpareChangeRacng

Reaction
ORI does. I got one I might sell ya if you're interested. Steve