Movie Review - The fast and the furious

Klaus

Administrator
Reaction
The Fast and the furious.

Movie review.

Story line:
Undercover cop is trying to uncover a gang of cargo highjacks. The gang is part of the street racing scene and the 5-0 joins to gain trust.

What I liked:
- A movie that has tons of racing action
- Hot chicks driving fast cars

What I disliked:
- It portraits the Los Angeles Street Racing scene but is far from what really happens. Unrealistic races lasting too long to be quarter mile runs.
- 99% of the cars are rice burners. Imports are cool and all but that is not what dominates the streets.
- The cop uncovers the bad guys and lets them go at the end. Very unrealistic
- The only V8 used from the movie trailer comes only to play in the last 10 minutes. Fast forward if that is what you are looking for.
- They use juice only at the top end of there runs. Tires spin at 100mph after the switch is flipped.
- Its obvious that NOS and HKS are sponsors of this flick (Not necessarily a bad thing actually).

Final Thoughts:
- The preview trailer is more promising then the movie itself unless you get off on hi-r 4 banger engines on boost and squeeze.
- Watch gone in 60 seconds instead. The 2000 version or the original.

WFODAN

Reaction
Re: Movie Reveiew - The fast and the furious

Hey Klaus ,

Don't be too bummed out bro . They had to use all the imports because you know what happens first hand when you try and street race those five liters . How did it go ?? KABOOM !!! I thought I was the only one to break my stuff on a regular basis .
I actually liked the movie . It was a little far fetched , but nevertheless it was still really entertaining . I have to disagree though with one thing that you said . I went to the street races just a few weeks ago , and the imports are taking over . The American Iron is almost extinct there . Long live the muscle cars !!

Dan Vance

rdc

- users no longer part of the rdc family -
Reaction

Another review (if you don't mind)
Some times a movie comes out and you call it a must see at the theater.
Some times a movie comes out and you call it a rental.
Some times you watch the preview and with out seeing any thing else you know its just bad.
THIS MOVIE IS THE LATTER, SAVE YOUR 8 OR 9 BUCKS!

<font color=red>Shaun<font color=red>

rdc

Reaction

"REAL" street racers don't go out to Comton and places like that anymore because it's not worth the "Bust". They go out and no one will race them. They are told to take the V8's out to the strip where they belong? Oh well, that is the way it goes. It seems to be more about the culture out there now more than about who is faster.

WFODAN

Reaction

Shaun ,

I love the sound of a pissed off V-8 just as much as anyone . I don't own a rice burner , and don't plan on getting one , but street racing is evolving . The Imports are taking over , and if you pick up any drag racing mag and look at the imports time sheets . They're not as slow as you might think . Right now they have a few Honda powered front wheeldrive cars running in the mid eight second range . I don't care if I like it or not , that's way cool !!! Later .

Dan Vance

WFODAN

Reaction

Also you should go out to Alameda some time . It's not an every week thing anymore , but they do still race there . Right down by the train tracks . I was there for about three hours without the law showing up . Got to see some really cool races while I was there to . Whil we're on this subject , what is a "REAL STREET RACER " ??

Dan Vance

rdc

Reaction

“Real street racers” get to the “spot” on there own, not a trailer. While there are some very fast imports, there are none down in the nines that are cruising in under there own power. Besides, I like bikes. Power to weight ratio can’t be beat, cost is next to nothing, and four wheels can’t touch’em ;)

WFODAN

Reaction

Don't always believe that . Lots of those big turbo - nitous cars are very streetable . Turn the boost down , and drive it home . For a while NHRA kept showing that grey Supra that went 7.60 ( I believe ) . They were claiming that the bottom end was virtually stock , and had 60k miles on it . All the work was done to the top , and a very very large turbo system was used . I haven't seen the car on TV lately , but I do still remember it .
I think a real street racer is someone who brings whatever they have in their garage out on the street and races it for money . Be it a bike , car , truck , or anything else you might have in there .

Dan Vance

John Bitting

Administrator
Reaction

I knew a guy named Tom that use to race a rabbit and he drove it out to battle of the imports a few years ago cleaned and drove it home. No one would race him in Ontario either... Pretty killer for a daily driver.. I still have friends involved in the street scene, it is bigger then ever. Ask Gabe on our way to Lucerne the night of the release of fast and furious there were a lot of high dollar machines rolling around. Were they fast, who knows but full customs interiors, turbos, and exhaust systems, these guys are as crazy about it as we are desert racing and will waste every penny then make on there cars... Same goals as us but on a different course....

dezertchick

Reaction

I remember the days of street racing in Reseda every Wednesday night or in Van Nuys Friday nights...back then the cars were all American muscle cars, times are changing I guess since them ricerocket cars can fly! Back then, a Honda would never take on a Stang or Camero...but now they are the cars of choice.

Greg

Reaction

I have to agree with Shawn, bikes are the "real" street performers. I had a '90 GSXR1100 that (not stock) would run 9.60 @ 142 and had killer brakes, would run forever, got good milage when crusing, and corner harder than any drag car. best of all, I had less than $5k into it. And as if 160 mph was fast in the movie, i could hit that before the end of my street. I know it was dumb and I've grown out of it but once you've gone those speeds that movie just seems dumb.

Greg

rdc

Reaction

TO SUM UP THE MOVIE EVERY GUY WHO KNOWS THERE [censored] KNOWS THAT NOS DOESNT REALLY HELP TOP SPEED JUST 0 -60/ GETTING TO TOP SPEED. THE FUNNY THING WAS THAT ALL OF MY FRIENDS GIRLFRIENDS INCLUDING MINE LOVED THE MOVIE AND EVERY GUY THOUGHT IT WAS GAY. THE ONLY CAR THAT MIGHT PULL 9'S IS THE CHARGER. MOST DIDNT EVEN HAVE TURBO BUT SOMEHOW HAD BLOW OFF VALVES? I THOUGHT ITS GOOD IF YOU DONT NO [censored] ABOUT CARS BUT LIKE ACTION. OTHERWISE SAVE YOUR MONEY AND SEE SHREK. JUST KIDDING!

pjc

Chairman
Reaction

The Honda V-tech motors on nitrous are extremely fast.

Regardless, I would rather have a 2002 Z06 'Vette. 405HP and 13 seconds 0-100-0! That is incredible. I may order one soon.

PJCinLV
http://www.off-road.com</A>
Hated by Eco-Freaks and Bob Yen.

Gabe Lara

Reaction

I guess with all of the speculation, I'll have to go see it for myself.
It is a bit difficult for me from time to time due to my work, and sometimes I can develop an un-biased opinion, so I'll go check it this weekend......Its just hollywood looking to "cash in" on street racing. There is a market for it, and I am a bit suprised it took them this long to develop/ produce a movie of this type.

Certainly I can respect the guys/girls that are a bit more serious about their rides, and the guy that does my paint work up here has some pretty serious import hardware come through his shop, so props them.... But I'd have to agree with Pat and Dan, there is nothing quite like a V-8.....

Steve_HKmtrsprts

Reaction

I thought the movie was good, but did anyone else notice the Charger doing a peg-leg burnout after they chased the motorcycles. 900hp. Peg-leg?? It was also a flashback when at the end of the movie they raced where Terminal Island race-way used to be. :( But after the movie I still think I'd rather take it in the dirt.

Going big and Filming it all..

John Bitting

Administrator
Reaction

Maybe just too many beers yesterday but this does not sound right..."

"I still think I'd rather take it in the dirt."

Junior

Reaction

"Take it in the Dirt"! Thats funny! lol

Junior
EJR Racing #244

Tomack

Reaction

GABE V8 SUCK!!!!!! HA HA HA HA WRITE ME. I THOUGHT THE MOVIE WAS GOOD....TO MANY POSSER'S AFTER THE MOVIE LIKE WELL YOU KNOW! WRITE ME LET ME KNOW WHATS UP..

scott

Reaction

I like running over stuff..................