moving shackle hanger back?? ?? ?? ??

bullcrew

Reaction
I have a 00 silverado, deaver 87s, camburg shackles and gmr hangers and being I have the gmr hangers I can move them back and weld them when I reinforce the frame next week.

I have bilst. 4tube 17" bypass on it and they are tilted a couple of degrees forward as well as hyd bumps. I was wondering if mounting the shackle hangers (rear) back .5" or more will be benificial to relax the springs a bit. They bypass are valved light and the bumps are there to take up the slack but it feels like it gets aggresive near bottom out as the spring rate goes up.

Just curious and any help is appreciated, so thanks in advance!

CHASETHISTOO

Reaction
I'm curious about this as well.

INFO?

Becerra

Reaction
ya moving it back will help with spring bind. you probably have some spring bind when it cycles. it also depends if the hangers are dropped and the length of the shackle.

CMazzulla

Reaction
I move the rear mount back and up. Reduce neg. arch and spring bind. I have even used G8 bolts and lock nuts and kept them just snug to help with bind in the bushing.

bullcrew

Reaction
CM:
how far back and up....???

I was thinking 1/2" or so with the camburg extended shackles but if you know different let us know...
How many "s back and up from stock holes. Im welding em up tue/wed.
Thanks TA

Becerra

Reaction
moving the hanger all depends on the length of shackle and the length of spring. there's not one exact measurement to move the hanger back. the best bet imo is to tack up the hangers where you think they'll work and take the pack apart and cycle it to be completely sure it'll be cool.

slcpunk74

Reaction
It would be less of a how much you move it back number and more of a what distance should it be between the shackle pivot and the front spring bolt. I think that if you called deaver and told them what leafs and length shackles you have they could tell you the distance you are looking for.

bullcrew

Reaction
It would be less of a how much you move it back number and more of a what distance should it be between the shackle pivot and the front spring bolt. I think that if you called deaver and told them what leafs and length shackles you have they could tell you the distance you are looking for.
I called deaver, no idea on it they just said to soften pack. Chris Mazzulla said to move it to the end of the frame and up then set hydraulic bump to prevent too much negative.
I figured Id give Mazs idea a shot and set the bumps (bottom out) right there at the verge of negative and see what happens may even notch frame and adjust for more up travel so AI can set ride height a little lower in rear so I can 60/40 the front.

slcpunk74

Reaction
The shackle angle was too steep on our toy so we moved our pivot forward to make it more like 45%. So if all else fails you can try to mess wih your angle and then move the pivot up or down(while keeping the same measurement) to set ride hight.

bullcrew

Reaction
The shackle angle was too steep on our toy so we moved our pivot forward to make it more like 45%. So if all else fails you can try to mess wih your angle and then move the pivot up or down(while keeping the same measurement) to set ride hight.
Yeah I tried to call Kevin at H&M and ask him his thoughts but It went to VM so I assume hes at the expo or testing a build.
Im at a 1-oclock on drvrs side and 11 on the psngrs side as far as shackle. Id like to relax it a little for smoother smal square edge hits as well as reduce the bottoming rate or bind. Ill also pull the pack, break it apart and cycle it. At the same time ill roll all edges of the leafs, polish out and do the teflon spray then assemble.
Should smooth out as well as If I have to Ill notch my frame a little bit to mount the bumps.

Kind of whish after all these years that someone has a decent mounting point for a silverado. LOL I think my linked rear was easier, just add spring and start twisting tubes. :D