Moving to San Diego, any suggestions?

YZBrad

Hey guys, I know many of you live in the San Diego area, so I thought Id ask your advice. In mid september I'm going to be moving down there for school (San Diego Flight Training International) and now Ive been trying to decide where I want to live. I want to be fairly close to the beach, but dont want to pay a fortune. I was thinking of moving to Clairemont, its close to the airport (Montgomery Field), and seems fairly reasonable. Is it a decent neighborhood? (I would guess most areas in SD are!)

Im also going to be looking for a job down there, I know the economy isnt too good, but is anybody down there hiring?

Either way Im looking forward to moving down there. And hopefully making some racing friends that live down there.

Travisfab

Clairemont is a pretty good area and close to the beach. Check out Bay Park too. The thing about San Diego is no matter what, you are at you are within about a half hour of the beach. Don't limit yourself to only beach towns. There is very little construction going on and the job market is very competitive.

Random Thoughts Racing

If you want acces to the beach without being to far from the school there are plenty of reasonable places along the 52 and 56 corridors. West of the 15 generally has the coastal temperatures and east of the 15 are the inland valleys with hotter temps.

Further inland = lower prices

Dont go too cheap though or you will nestled in with our tweeker population who will help themselves to your stuff.

North county is nice but may be further than you want to commute to school especially with north/south traffic on 5 or 15.

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&u...9dGWCQ&sa=X&oi=local_result&ct=image&resnum=1

BANNEDFROMBAJA

2317 Cherimoya Drive Suite A Vista, CA 92084
are you looking to rent?

Bonita is a really nice part of town and like everyone says its 20 min if that from the beach.

BGRANT

If yo have to go to Monyt. Field everyday, stay south of Pennesquitas area. That I15 commute realy starts to blow right about there. There are a lot of condos in the UTC area and people looking for roomates around there. Lots of college ladies as well.

YZBrad

If you want acces to the beach without being to far from the school there are plenty of reasonable places along the 52 and 56 corridors. West of the 15 generally has the coastal temperatures and east of the 15 are the inland valleys with hotter temps.

Further inland = lower prices

Dont go too cheap though or you will nestled in with our tweeker population who will help themselves to your stuff.

North county is nice but may be further than you want to commute to school especially with north/south traffic on 5 or 15.

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&u...9dGWCQ&sa=X&oi=local_result&ct=image&resnum=1
Hmm good to know, thatts kind of what I was thinking. How bad is the commute down the 5 from Carlsbad?

If yo have to go to Monyt. Field everyday, stay south of Pennesquitas area. That I15 commute realy starts to blow right about there. There are a lot of condos in the UTC area and people looking for roomates around there. Lots of college ladies as well.
Oh good to know, I was also considering Mira Mesa, but wasn't sure how bad the 15 is during the day. How is that area?

are you looking to rent?

Bonita is a really nice part of town and like everyone says its 20 min if that from the beach.
Where is Bonita? I've been looking on Craigslist for people looking for roommates. My price range is $500-$600 a month, it doesnt seem too hard to find decent housing for that.

I visited SD last week, and like you guys said, its really nice how close everything is. I'm really looking forward to moving down there.

BGRANT

Traffic around Mira Nam and the Carmel Valley area can get pretty hectic in the evening. Check into Mission Valley near Qualcom Stadium.

JoeyD23

stay away from Vista, its full of tweekers and looks like TJ, and the county Jail is there! :D Actually North County SD is awesome!!!

SD is awesome! Your gonna love it, WELCOME!

BGRANT

I grew up in Esco and still have property in San Marcos and Valley Center. Seems like the whole inland North SD county is getting a little sketchy. Stay coastal if you can and as close to school/work as you can.
Poway/RB/RPQ area is still pretty nice.

baja619

I think if you can get into Clairemont and/or the surrounding area that would be ideal for your situation. Right close to the beach and you could ride your bike (mostly down hill) but the ride back might be a work out.

Mission Valley is nice and has alot of brand new condos. minutes away from the beach and Centrally located to all of SD County.

I say North County SD "beach side" is very nice with lots of great friendly people but is going to be a commute and a half to go to any other part of SD.

YZBrad

Thans for the help guys, right now Im leaning towards Clairemont or Mission Valley. Seems like nice areas that I can afford. Now the real question, does anyone in SD need an extra set of hands helping out on their race car?:D

DSRacing

Mini Metal MOD
Thans for the help guys, right now Im leaning towards Clairemont or Mission Valley. Seems like nice areas that I can afford. Now the real question, does anyone in SD need an extra set of hands helping out on their race car?:D
I grew up in Clairemont and it has changed over the years. It's still a good place to live and it's centrally located to everything. If you plan on renting, stay away from the apartment complexes and the duplexes. Try to find a house that's within your budget. Mission Valley is a good choice and Tierrasanta would be another area to consider. The I-15 is a pain in the *** no matter what time of day.

And yes, our team is always on the lookout for extra help.:)

YZBrad

Yeah I definitely like how centrally located Clairemont is. Last week when i was down there i was amazed at how quickly you could get from one side of SD to another, unlike LA.

But awesome! I'll have to keep in touchwith you guys to help you out with your trucks.

tltony

My son owns a house in Clairmont and may have a room for rent. He's a mechanical engineer and a gearhead, so it might be a good fit.

Tony

200MPHTape

I grew up in Clairemont, my brother and parents live there still. He bought the house across the street from mom and dad, they live in the Indian Streets, the Mt. Streets are a nice area also. Are you looking for a house or apartment?

bajafox

Accepted
Stay where you're at, it's too crowded here! lol

jk

I lived in Clairemont for almost 10 years, you can get just about anywhere from there, every major freeway is easy to get to and about 10 - 15 minutes from everywhere