• Forum membership has its advantages....

Murdock Nav Maps for Lowrance Gen 3

Team Todo En

Has anyone downloaded the Murdock Navigational Maps for the Lowrance Gen 3?

One of our chase trucks just installed a Lowrance HDS 7 Gen 3 unit and he purchased the Murdock Maps but apparently they only offer ICM files and the gen 3 will only work with AT5 files.

PaulW

Gen2 or older is required for .LCM map files. So far nothing out there for Baja using .AT4 or .AT5 files.
Lowrance sells maps for various US regions that might work? Not available for Baja.
A situation where latest and greatest is not better.

Lord Green

i just heard of a website called here.com. looking at it it seems to have a lot of Baja roads and streets, nothing off-road though

Racing Ron

This has been frustrating for us as well. One of the only reasons I use the GPS is for baja - new one is almost useless to me. Hope there is a solution soon (as in a week) or VERY low minutes Lowrance for sale!

Team Todo En

It's not looking good. The chase crew won't even have the race map on their Lowrance gen3. Well, this is a vintage race, so it looks like they'll be using paper maps. Wow, what a concept! :D We will be cheating a little with the race radio, smart phones and the DeLorme though:cool:

Zambo

Get MotionX for your iphone or ipad. You can cache background maps and load the course. Its not great for everything but it works better than nothing.

Also, I scan/photograph the AAA baja map into a file and put that on my devices as well.

Team Todo En

Get MotionX for your iphone or ipad. You can cache background maps and load the course. Its not great for everything but it works better than nothing.

Also, I scan/photograph the AAA baja map into a file and put that on my devices as well.
I've seen the MotionX app, and it works very well with the iphone. I've got the Earthmate map app in my Droid, which utilizes Google Earth for the Delorme InReach Explorer sat phone. It connects the Droid to the sat phone via bluetooth, so no cell service required, same as MotionX but gives out your location every 10 min. (or less depending on your plan) to followers.

Last year in BoLA they accidentally turned off our tracking device when we were lining up to start Day 2, so everyone at home was freaking out thinking we must have major issues - especially my motor builder!

Zambo

Sounds good. Of course you don't need any cell service at all just to navigate the course with your iPhone. In fact it doesn't even need to be out of airplane mode because the GPS works now while airplane mode is on. That saves a lot of battery. If you want to look at maps like I said you don't need cell service, you can just download the maps on the phone before you go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PaulW

I guess you guys do not know why we use Lowrance GPS.
This thread is about Murdock maps not tablets and phones.
Start your own thread and the GPS guys will not bother you.

Zambo

I guess you guys do not know why we use Lowrance GPS.
This thread is about Murdock maps not tablets and phones.
Start your own thread and the GPS guys will not bother you.
The question that the original poster had has been asked and answered. I simply offered an alternative if he can't get a basemap working with the units he has. I think all of us here know what Lowrance GPS units are for and what they can and can't do.

GDRBORETIRED

But can you really use a Gen III in a desert race? I have been told you can not use the touch screen at speed, true or not?

Team Todo En

You're saying the gen 3 has a built-in safety feature that won't let you use it - similar to a standard automotive GPS when in motion?
I have a gen 2 touchscreen but rarely utilize the touchscreen when I'm moving, but it will let me. If you're wearing gloves and want to utilize the touchscreen feature, make sure they have the touchscreen fingertip. The unit also has standard button control, so it works fine. I rarely need to make any screen adjustments when I'm moving. Just follow the course.

biffgnar

You're saying the gen 3 has a built-in safety feature that won't let you use it - similar to a standard automotive GPS when in motion?
I have a gen 2 touchscreen but rarely utilize the touchscreen when I'm moving, but it will let me. If you're wearing gloves and want to utilize the touchscreen feature, make sure they have the touchscreen fingertip. The unit also has standard button control, so it works fine. I rarely need to make any screen adjustments when I'm moving. Just follow the course.
Does anyone make fire resistant gloves with touch screen sensitivity?

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

TRichards

It's not looking good. The chase crew won't even have the race map on their Lowrance gen3. Well, this is a vintage race, so it looks like they'll be using paper maps. Wow, what a concept! :D We will be cheating a little with the race radio, smart phones and the DeLorme though:cool:
For NORRA they give out a GPS download every night. At least they did last year. It matches up waypoints to the roadbook. It will identify speed zones etc.

PaulW

Question:
= = =
Gen 2 & 3 work the same way
No safety feature that I know of, Just hard to use touch Because it hales you eyes off the road. Gloves compound the issue. I have special gloves for my touch Garmin I use on my bicycle. I hate it and seldom get the touch correct without stopping. Touch sucks. All my old Lowrance units are non touch and have buttons for full control.

NOD Racing

Has anyone downloaded the Murdock Navigational Maps for the Lowrance Gen 3?

One of our chase trucks just installed a Lowrance HDS 7 Gen 3 unit and he purchased the Murdock Maps but apparently they only offer ICM files and the gen 3 will only work with AT5 files.
Jan -2017 Just purchased HDS 7 Gen3 and Murdock maps for Baja. Mine loads all the maps from Puertocitos South. Nothing North of Puertocitos. Murdock is unaware of any problems with the Gen 3. Waiting for his reply.

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
I have sent an email to Murdock with HDS gen 3 compatibility question. I will report back the reply.