• Forum membership has its advantages....

Music during off road DVDs

bajadreamer

Sorry guys I just have to ask
Am I the only old guy that watches these?
The content is unbelievable the guys filming and editing the things have great talent.. I guess they are geared towards a younger market?
I'm guessing that I'm wrong but I think that if they have to put music behind it they could choose something more suited to match the content??. Maybe I'm just getting to be a mean old bastard but when the rap and punk start playing :( I STOP WATCHING... I personally would spend more of my earned $$ if they would change

Go ahead and hate away or comment your thoughts.. the makers of these may not know what works best ... if I'm wrong I don't mind to STFU

Sent from the RDC Mobile App. Get it for your IOS device today

WALSHMOTORSPORTS

The film guys should take a survey. Maybe cool tunes in the intro then at a new segment but I REALLY like the engine sounds and in car talk the most. Don't care for the music in the videos.

bajadreamer

More thoughts.. I realize that a lot of the footage audio is unusable hence the music.. movies like those pirate ones or mid evil etc etc use pirate/mid evil type of music.. like dust to glory.. that background music was freekin awesome it really brought the movie together .. hearing the drivers talk is really cool too.. but those engines roaring is hard to beat.. the reason I'm so passionate about it is I'm ALWAYS in the chase truck or in the pits , I don't ever get to see any action.. so to me the movies about the racing is very important... imho

hendersoned

I agree fully, the metal guitar and screaming sucks compared to a motor noise or some truly well selected music... I do watch a lot of videos on mute.

DirtDgr

I'm a heavy metal guy! Love the moshpit!

But when I watch racing, I want motor noise!

Another thing that bugs me is when they show a hundred two second clips or glimpses. I want to see a longer inerval between shots. I want to see more driving of an entire section.

Last edited:

OVLWNDO

Never music when you can hear the car working. No more lame a$$ so-cal bands that all sound the same!

M_Solms

Some times the music just works.

Mike321

Not desert inspired, but inspired nonetheless. I still seek out this video because of the content and music.

Rocket 450

Something nobody has brought up. Is royalties and music rights. The majority of the music played in any type action sports videos is from small indie labels, and that content is royalty free. That keeps the production costs down. The added cost of music rights, let alone original scores would probably have zero return on that investment. The volume of sales is just not there to justify it.

bajadreamer

Something nobody has brought up. Is royalties and music rights. The majority of the music played in any type action sports videos is from small indie labels, and that content is royalty free. That keeps the production costs down. The added cost of music rights, let alone original scores would probably have zero return on that investment. The volume of sales is just not there to justify it.
Completely understand the royalty and music rights.. it's the choices they make of the royalty free kind.. go watch some of 239films videos on YouTube.. not sure where he gets his stuff at.. but it just works good for the content, the guy is good

ATRacing

I thought that "The Quarry" did a great job, and kind of stepped out of the box. 239Films and Baja Films Media always do a great job too, for sure.
I have tried editing some stuff for our team, again trying to staying away from the very heavy rock, and using music I think is fitting, however copyright is a problem indeed, although I believe that these kind of videos promote the songs.
Here is an example of a what I think is a great song, whilst you still have a section to enjoy engine noise, as a lot of the clips do not have sound.

Thanks
Andrea

bajadreamer

I thought that "The Quarry" did a great job, and kind of stepped out of the box. 239Films and Baja Films Media always do a great job too, for sure.
I have tried editing some stuff for our team, again trying to staying away from the very heavy rock, and using music I think is fitting, however copyright is a problem indeed, although I believe that these kind of videos promote the songs.
Here is an example of a what I think is a great song, whilst you still have a section to enjoy engine noise, as a lot of the clips do not have sound.

Thanks
Andrea
Great video! I was hoping you would let the music and the racing sound merge and you did! Great choice of song! It really helped demonstrate the passion in those teams.. thumbs up! I'm no editing expert but I imagine it's not easy to have everything work out.. great job:)!

NIKAL

Music is added to help tell the he story. It describes the emotion or intensity of a scene. Many times it acts as the script or words when the actors are not. Just laying down a songs track over video hurts the scene being shown. Watch a movie and listen to the music score, and how many times it changes in a matter of minutes or scenes. It's very important to any film and why their are awards given for best movie score. Just like BajaDreamer said, look at how the music in Dust to Glory raises the intensity of a scene.

ATRacing

Thanks for the nice comments Baja Dreamer. Much appreciated. Truly, thanks to the musicians who wrote and performed a great song !! :)

DirtDgr

Curtis Guise

Administrator
It's impossible for a video producer to please everyone. The Dezert People series has always been a highlight film and the rock/punk style music works great with the footage. But I do understand that it's not for everyone. I have mixed in different styles of music at times if I think its a good fit. If DP was a documentary style film I would definitely use different music but that's not what it is. Each film is pure highlights that can be watched for many years without a story that would be dated in short time. The exception is in DP10 when I did the Herbst Truggy tribute and it includes the longer version in the extras.
I have produced many other projects as well using different music or very little music. A good example is the last video I did for Steven Eugenio and Armin Schwarz for the 2015 Baja 1000. 23 minutes of engine sound, the driver/co-drivers audio and interviews. I have used music in other videos I made for Steven before that but very low. Zeus sounds to good and everyone needs to hear it!

Here's the full list of all of Eugenio's videos:
https://www.youtube.com/galindomotorsports