my 4link project

geoff

Reaction
Details:
87 toyota extended cab longbed (same frame as an 89 extended cab
rear axle from a 96 t100 4x4 with 4:30 gears
1 1/4-1" heims on the lowers
3/4" heims on the uppers
lower links made from 2"X5" box with a 1.75x.120 tube on the bottom, 3/16" plate for shock mounts. 55" long.
front mounts for the uppers made of a box we fabbed but i forgot to take pics of
new cab mount made from 1/2"x3" steel, i used it to CNC flanges from but we had scrap
upper mounts made from AA-MFG mounts used on circle track cars (5 adjustable positions)
16" SAW coil overs with whack spring rates, mounted perpindicular so at full bump they are at 90s.
Shocks completely centered on the lower, vertically and horizontally.
backhalf done becuase shocks would have hit the frame, we didnt plan on it but it was a necessity.
all bends done with a Greenlee conduit bender, first time we ever bent a tube.
this is my first off-road project so flame suit on j/k i thought i was on pirate =)

more pics at: http://www.full-race.com/geoff4link/

4 link top view:

max droop

things to do:
add a lot of metal to the bed cage
finish standalone EFI conversion
finish turbo setup
put in fuel cell
run fuel lines
get 10mmx1.0 IF to -4 AN brake adaptors
get some spring rates that work
get a 1 piece driveshaft

Special thanks for the help:
mike leavitt from AOD
geiser bros
shannon campbell of campbell enterprises
RACE DEZERT!!!!!!!!!!!! i still wouldnt know what a desert truck was if it werent for this board.

no thanks to
mesa police
4 wheel supply
phoenix junkyards, where "drum to drum" means flange to flange... "OHHHH you want drums? thats an additonal 40$ per side!!!!"

"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of the dreams." -- Willy Wonka

ntsqd

Reaction
"this is my first off-road project so flame suit on j/k i thought i was on pirate"'

yuk, yuk. Very few POoR attitudes here........

TS

I used to swerve around my halucinations, now I drive right thru them.

michael_loomis

Reaction
i cant flame ya ...i dont know enuff about building trucks yet !! :)

j/k looks good , interesting cage base .

on a side note , very interesting use of carbon fiber (or grey tint fiberglass) on the honda , or what appears to be a honda anyways .

curt

Reaction
Looks good, the only thing I'd keep a close eye on is those upper mounts for the shocks. I think I'd also triangulate that hoop some as well, there's going to be a lot of force to contend with.

I'd really like to see some dimensions for your mounting points, its been a stopping point on our truck.

To dimension....Pick the farthest forward mounting point and consider that 0 front to back...
Example(I just picked a bunch of ficticious numbers).....
Front lower hanger C/L of bolt 0" F/B X ?" high(from ground)
All the rest would be from above mount for front to back and height from the ground
Front upper hanger C/L of bolt 12"back X 16" High
Rear Lower hanger C/L of bolt 60" back X 10" High
Rear Upper Hanger C'L of bolt 58" back X 14" high
Front driveshaft C/L of U-Joint 14" X 25" high
Rear Driveshaft C/L of U-Joint 38" back X 12" high
Expected travel?
Then I could calculate an approximate driveshaft plunge and rotation assuming a Toy 8" rear end.

I've had all the parts for 2 months now but have been short on time and ambition to sit in front of CAD for hours to clean up our proposed mount points to keep the pinion angle from changing and the driveshaft plunge at about an inch or so.

I hope I'm not being too presumptuous in my explanation, I really could use the info(if your willing to give it up) and am not sure if you needed help planning the layout of the dimensions.......Thanks, Curt

VORRA Class 7

dirtydezracer

Reaction
Geoff,

I want to see the automatic carbon fiber beast!!! I bet that thing screams!! lol
j/k
--Paul

Drive vigorously, break, repair, repeat.

geoff

Reaction
that car is actually not an auto, although it has an auto dash. it is getting a turbo rsx-r engine. It will not be a slouch, although it will always be ugly as sin.

"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of the dreams." -- Willy Wonka

geoff

Reaction
I'll get all thos measurements for you later this evening.

geoff

Reaction
update thus far

ok so after taking some time to think about things thus far i have some stuff to do, to make the design better:

1) double up the material for the mounts on the lowers, its currently 3/16 ill double them up, tig the corners and 2 plug welds

2) cut off the upper mounts on the axle, and lower it. The Instantaneous center the way we currently have it setup is way too far back. By lowering the mounts on the housing, we bring the IC much farther forwards.

3) make a truss across the rear of the axle. From this truss i will plate to the upper truss. this should be pretty strong.

4) bed cage needs a TON of work, and in retrospect, looking at the bedcage beginnign and talking to ntsqd, its apparent we could have gotten away with many less bends on the "backhalf" thing that we started to build. I would cut it out but that in itslef would take a day and a half considering how much we welded those tubes in already... I dont see how once the bedcage is fully built it will really be any sort of a compromise, although i will always look at it and say "damnit"

Anyone who has any input id love to hear it, love it or hate it or otherwise. thanks

ntsqd

Reaction
Re: update thus far

"although i will always look at it and say "damnit" "

The day that the current project stops teaching you something to apply to the next project is the day to hang up your fab gloves.

TS

I used to swerve around my halucinations, now I drive right thru them.

curt

Reaction

Hey Geoff, how about those measurements....We got our clock cleaned at the shortcourse this weekend by Billy Manfroy's 4-link and 2' of Camburg front travel and I'm moving this project up to the front burner this week. Also looking for ideas on the front end. Got a 2wd Toyota with 12" up front on our own design at about 4" longer arms but somehow I need to get that up a bit without going to J-Arms or an I-beam, its the upper angles(uniball) and steering(heim outers) keeping out a couple of more inches......Thanks, Curt

VORRA Class 7

geoff

Reaction

hey i totally forgot about the measurements, i took them all down and left them up at my shop. Ill get them for you on thursday, sorry about that.

For the front end, im doing that next semester when its my turn to take this class. I think im gonna do some center mount lowers with J arm uppers and i may move the motor back. Check out www.full-race.com/frontsusp for some ideas, even if you dont plan on going quite so extreme. I am not sure about class 7 rules, but the total chaos uniball kit really is the best kit ive seen so far. The spindle is such a good idea becuase you can keep the ride height high and retain a lot of droop travel as well as keeping the arms parallel to the ground, keeping all the forces in the y plane.