-MY design style-

CRAIG_HALL

So here's some various pics of different arms I've drawn for customers using their dimensions but MY style. There are 100's of ways of making the exact same part using your own style & approach.. (Jimco, Alumicraft, Desert Dynamics,Full Potential, Royalty, The fab School, Wicked sand toys, HMS, Fusion,Racer, Toys 4 BB)
Here's some of mine..

Attachments

CRAIG_HALL

more..

Attachments

Rory

Crayola Killer
Craig, nice work. I'll do the R&D for you, just make me a set of arms and I'll give you input and gloat about your work here on RDC. Plan? :D

titan

All those differences are great, it lets companies stamp their name on it as their own and they get the feeling of creation and in their own mind they are a step above the rest. Now step back and look at what the pinnacle of technology when it comes to racing, obviously offroad isnt anywhere near the top. Yet when you look at the most technologically advanced forms of racing you will find that that have come up with something that looks very the same, not because they have to be, but because they work. Subtle differences put their stamp on them, yet many concepts are the same. Show something that takes offroad to the next level, slotted plate with special brakes in it only goes so far.

CRAIG_HALL

O.K... I'm working on some Titanium rear arms right now, different enough ? Alot to think about when doing so. Huge bend radius', skid plates to keep from gouging the material (it doesn't like it) special threaded bungs,cups.

CRAIG_HALL

Some companies aren't worried about being the best, they just want to get a share of the market. other want it all

CRAIG_HALL

All those differences are great, it lets companies stamp their name on it as their own and they get the feeling of creation and in their own mind they are a step above the rest. Now step back and look at what the pinnacle of technology when it comes to racing, obviously offroad isnt anywhere near the top. Yet when you look at the most technologically advanced forms of racing you will find that that have come up with something that looks very the same, not because they have to be, but because they work. Subtle differences put their stamp on them, yet many concepts are the same. Show something that takes offroad to the next level, slotted plate with special brakes in it only goes so far.
Are you asking me to show ? why don't you ? I only build what my customers want. I'm not a race car builder, I specialize in helping the builders get the parts they want faster and reducing labor.

titan

ive seen what you have shown, some of your welds, all im saying is that is neat, and to keep on doing to standard with little progression is neat to. Titanium is also neat, but with all the skills you seem to have have, and the fact you started a thread to show many different designs of teh same product, (funny you would bring it out now). If you want to show stuff, show some innovation, id love to see that. Let me know what you want me to draw up, and maybe i can do something neat to.

CRAIG_HALL

Craig, nice work. I'll do the R&D for you, just make me a set of arms and I'll give you input and gloat about your work here on RDC. Plan? :D[/QUOTE

Thank's Rory- Is that a trade for T-shirt artwork ? :D

CRAIG_HALL

ive seen what you have shown, some of your welds, all im saying is that is neat, and to keep on doing to standard with little progression is neat to. Titanium is also neat, but with all the skills you seem to have have, and the fact you started a thread to show many different designs of teh same product, (funny you would bring it out now). If you want to show stuff, show some innovation, id love to see that. Let me know what you want me to draw up, and maybe i can do something neat to.
I don't weld for any customer, only favors here & there & my own stuff.

My intent was to show MY style on the same type of parts for different customers. Not one trailing arm has any same dimension, I dont sell or offer arms to customers with cosmetic changes. Every arm I've ever done (close to 100) has been given to me with one dimension or another. Many times I'm givern a tube arm or simple mock up to get the dimensions from, other times I'm given simple solid models. My customers know thats what I do all day, draw sheetmetal, so they let me do it. They don't want to waste their own time trying to do so.

As far as innovation, I wont ask my customers to take a chance on an idea I have, I'll prove it, then sell them on it.

Dezertpilot

You ramble too much IMO. F1 is the pinnacle IMO but off road does breed technology that trickles down just look at the Ford Raptor.

Tipracer

I saw this thread and the first thing that came to my mind was this quote-
"There are many like it but this one is mine." kind fitting, now name the movie...., and Craig I have seen your ideas turned into finished product and you have plenty to be proud of..good work.

Double_Down

I saw this thread and the first thing that came to my mind was this quote-
"There are many like it but this one is mine." kind fitting, now name the movie....,
Full Metal Jacket comes to mind...

RCinqMars

Titan, or whatever alias your hiding behind, so little posts but yet you know some intimate details about longstanding members.....interesting. I personally believe that Craig is a staple in one of the most tech. advanced forms of motorsport. Other then F1, what is really more advanced? Nothing that races in circles, thats for sure. All forms of motorsport have progressed over the years, but you cant deny the pace of growth for offroad. I am very curious of your personal "neat" work, what sets your "neat" work apart from the rest?

motorhead

Titan, or whatever alias your hiding behind, so little posts but yet you know some intimate details about longstanding members.....interesting. I personally believe that Craig is a staple in one of the most tech. advanced forms of motorsport. Other then F1, what is really more advanced? Nothing that races in circles, thats for sure. All forms of motorsport have progressed over the years, but you cant deny the pace of growth for offroad. I am very curious of your personal "neat" work, what sets your "neat" work apart from the rest?
It seems kind of childish to attack and criticize Titans personal opinion by his post count, don't you think?

titan

if you noticed I have been a member since 2005. I just enjoyed reading rathing then participating on anything. The only thing that got me posting was the negativity I saw camburg throwing out. I find it funny that a company that hires people to design there stuff has the balls to call out other people that actually do their own work. Im not saying that for everything they do, i would just be very surprised if they designed that TT in house themselves. As far as this thread goes, i love what i see him posting his pictures, as far as progression goes i believe offroad is way off the mark. I think we saw a glimpse of it with ivans truck, but something took over. The idea of bigger is better, yet i believe we all saw a ten car do very well in baja, just imagine if that car started first with those skills behind it. There is alot think about when looking outside the box when it comes to offroad racing. I think a few are on the right track with some of these smaller cars, but the motorcycle engines, i dont believe are the way to go, also the small tires hurt. And i never said anything about my neat work, but im sure i could come up with something. Tell me something that has been progressive, and i dont mean chromoly plate work, i mean something really actually creative, both form and function.

CRAIG_HALL

I'll have you know that just because I've been hired or contracted to design for a customer I rarely have a blank canvas. Most customers have an established style and I make their parts to look that way. Camburg's rear links for example, they have been making them before I ever did them. I simply added some bends and tried to simplify their fabrication process. If you only knew how many small cosmetic changes were made to keep the overall look the same.

TITAN--Drop the progression subject, I never said I was building the next spaceshuttle using top secret material, I work for a job shop not NASA. Your being questioned about YOUR neat work as you questioned mine...

As far as the newer smaller cars.. Look at the C-1 lite's & Full Potential or anything with an ECOTECH. It may not be out of the box but it is the newest trend. 90 mph cars with a 7,000 rpm motor that is cheap..

titan

your kinda putting words into my mouth, i never said anything about your progression or a spaceshuttle, just as i saw all those pictures it made me think about progression in this sport. no need to take it so personal. and you dont have to defend camburg to me, get on off your knees. to me camburg just seems like a joke, but i say take any extra coin you can from them. Id say those full potential cars are on the right path, now throw a DCT in them with maybe an all aluminum v6 quadturbo diesel and 37's, then i think you might have something.