My engine cage is cracking

singlehanded

Reaction
pic 1

midnight landscaper working overtime and I'm full throttle I'm full throttle tonight

singlehanded

Reaction
pic 2

midnight landscaper working overtime and I'm full throttle I'm full throttle tonight

singlehanded

Reaction
After my last trip to lucerne, I was looking under my hood a few days later and noticed thst the top engine crossmember was lifting up under the weld blue in pic 2. Also there was a crack on both sides of the bar the screw goes threw for the coilover mount green in pic 2, it is also now not a perfect circle it is more oblong now. I am trying to figure out why this happend poor design too much stress, ect. any ideas. thanks

cleartoy

Reaction
Weld up the cracks, grind em down, then use some 1/4" flat strap to support it. Triangles are your friend!

94 Toyota stdcab 2x4
99 Yamaha YZ250

Got Sand??

partybarge_pilot

Reaction
Also cap the end of the tubing. This will prevent the alot of the flex going on which is causing a lot of your problems. Do not leave tubing ends open!!!!

singlehanded

Reaction
I didnt build the cage but if the ends get capped I will be unable to remove the shocks. The bolt goes thru that tube.

ACID_RAIN28

Reaction
Are you going to repair it or rebuild it. If you are going to repair it weld up the cracks and grind them out, then take like a half tube and gusset the whole the two tubes connecting to the shock mount perpindicularly. basically connecting the two togather so that they may transfer force around the cracked tube. You could do it with a piece of 3/16" instead of fitting a half tube, but it would not look as good.
You could also do it with 1/8 but you would have to do both sides as well as the front where the hole is. all you have to do to get around the hole is to hole saw it and it will fit over the hole.

I hope that was some help, or you could follow what I was saying. Pm me and I could send you a pic of what I am talking about if your are lost. Also the cracked tube should be a larger on the wall thickness.

IF ALL ELSE FAILS.......DROP THE "HAMMER"!

ntsqd

Reaction
From what I can see in the second pic, the tube end nearest the damper is quite a ways from the support tube it's welded to. So you have a cantilever going on there. I would fit a brace/gusset/whatever you want to call it btwn the damper mount tube and the support tube on the inside. Come up as close to the damper as you can and extend the other end up the support tube as far as is reasonable. I'm thinking that one of those 'U' shaped roll cage gussets would come pretty close to fitting in there.

TS

I used swerve around my halucinations, now I drive right thru them.

singlehanded

Reaction
I am going to take it to the shop that built it monday and see what they say then I will asess and repair.
thanks everyone

curt

Reaction
I cant tell anything in pic 1 but pic 2 looks like the crack is close to 180 degrees to the direction of the shocks up travel, if so its either fatigue from being too long a lever from the support without a gussett for the load, too weak of material, or could be repeated bottoming out of the shock causing it to tear. Weld it up, do the 1/2 round trick or even pound the next size tube over and weld to make the mount thicker, then gussett the inboard side. Curt

VORRA Class 7

singlehanded

Reaction
thanks by the way it is chromoly with a swayaway hydrolic bumpstop