• Forum membership has its advantages....

My first rent scam....

bajafox

Accepted
I've heard about these in the news, people looking to rent who don't do their homework and end up sending these people money, only to never receive the keys and lose all kinds of money. I emailed a person on craigslist the other day about a 2br duplex in North Park for $950, sounded too good to be true but I looked into it anyway, this is the email I received a couple of days later.

Thanks for your email and interest in renting my house..I am Erin L Murphy ,the owner of the Apartment you are making inquiry of...Actually I resided in the house with my family, my wife and my only daughter before and presently we have moved out due to my transfer from my work now in Warsaw,Poland. Presently my house is still available for rent for $950 rent already includes utilities).more so Now, I'm currently in Lagos,Nigeria .. for an international Christian follower's crusade. P ls i want you to note that,i am a kind, honest and trustworthy man and also i spent a lot on my property that i want to give to you for rent,so i will solicit for your absolute maintenance of this Apartment and want you to treat it as your own, It is not the money that is the main problem but i want you to keep it tidy all the time so that i will be glad to see it neat when i come for a check up.I also want you to let me have trust in you as i always stand on my word.

Here is the address of the Apartment : 3728 28th Street, San Diego , CA

It has a Lovely home in a nice neighborhood. is known for excellent schools. Conveniently located with nearby shopping centers, hospitals, free ways and public transportation. This is a must see. Amenities W/D Hookups Central Heat & A/C Granite Tiled Fireplace Ceiling Fans Vaulted Ceilings Cable Available Broadband Available .Custom Drapes in Living Room, Dining Room, & Master Bedroom Blinds

RENT APPLICATION FORM.
FIRST NAME:__________?
MIDDLE NAME:__________?
LAST NAME:__________?
PROFESSION:__________?
PHONE:
(CELL)PHONE__________?
(WORK)PHONE__________?
(HOME)PHONE__________?
KIDS _____ (YES/NO), HOW MANY ________
PRESENT ADDRESS: _____________________
CITY: _______________
STATE:______________
ZIP CODE: ____________
HOW LONG? ___________IF RENTING
WHY ARE YOU LEAVING__________?
HOW LONG DO YOU INTEND STAYING? ____________?
WHEN DO YOU INTEND MOVING IN? ______________?
IF YOU HAVE A PET,
NAME OF PET: _____________?
DO YOU SMOKE ______________ ?
DO YOU DRINK ______________?
DO YOU WORK LATE NIGHT? ____?

Looking forward to hearing from you with all this details so that i can have it in my file in case of issuing the receipt for you and contacting you...Await your urgent reply so that we can discuss on how to get the document and the keys to you,please we are giving you all this based on trust and again i will want you to stick to your words,you know that we have not seen yet and only putting everything into Gods hands,so please do not let us down in this our property and God bless you more as you do this...
The house is available for rent at the moment so you are free to move in as soon as you wish to...A Deposit of $600 (which happens to be the first months rent) is required before moving in...Feel free to call me for more information and arrangements on how to get the keys and other necessary documents delivered to you...my number is (0112348191284566) or(+2348191284566).The Apartment will be available for rent for a period of 6 years so you have a choice of deciding how long you intend staying there..

I await your prompt response ASAP.
Regards

Erin L Murphy
I replied and asked them if it was ok that I drank alot of beer and smoked alot of weed, lol. I'll post it up if they reply

Mike @ pit b

#Mike@PlanB
Hell you can tell just by the wording in the first paragraph it smells fishy.

michael_loomis

You can pretty much tell by the lack of an actual phone number in the original ads.

seems as though half the rental ads on CL these days, are these crooks tryin to steal your identity, or stupid companies that want you to sign up for $100 and THEN they will show you there dirt cheap listings...

Mike @ pit b

#Mike@PlanB
So I put up an add on the old CraigsList for a new room mate. I stated a few times that the room wouldn't be available until June 1st. Here's what I got after returning an e-mail that only asked if the room was still available:

Hi,

Thanks for your response to my previous email.I will not be able to come and see the place now but picture will be okay the most important thing to me is your location it really works for me, I could have love to call you but i don't have international calling plan but i will try to get an international calling card to call you later in the week but i believe we can still exchange emails for the main time or you call me on my Land line number which is +447045712915 and make sure you dial as presented.I'm sure i am the type of roommate you will like to stay with ,I will like to tell you lil about my self ,You can call me Linda and i'm single 27yrs old ,I was born in Spain,I don't smoke i don't drink.i'm easy going person and i make people around smile .I want to move in to the room in the next two weeks that is why i'm trying to speed everything up.I'm already doing my final project i have just been transfer from work to your location and i will be much more than happy if you can rent out the room to me ,I will also like to know little about you,

Linda

Thoughts or opinions? This sound legit to you guys?

michael_loomis

definately not legit... who caes... have some fun with it... get creative! LOL

Tipracer

best part is "you can call me Linda" ...or douche or pole smoker or ect....

dezertgirl

"RDC's Social Butterfly"
Soooo what did Linda have to say? When I was renting my room I did have a girl from Russia contact me... and it ended up being legit. Can't hurt to see where it goes :)

bajafox

Accepted
I never got a reply after I told him I was a big alcoholic and pothead...guess he figured I was messing with him

I was looking to rent a new place but if all goes well we'll be getting a different unit in the same complex which works out for my wife and I

Mike @ pit b

#Mike@PlanB
A Spanish born girl with the last name of "McGrath".

Besides, I've had enough BS with Spanish broads. :D

Sparky

String Linda along a little. I want to see how they try to scam you. Are they going to ask you to send money to help them move? Or maybe one of those "I'll send you $500 more than you want and you wire the difference back"?

Mike @ pit b

#Mike@PlanB
String Linda along a little. I want to see how they try to scam you. Are they going to ask you to send money to help them move? Or maybe one of those "I'll send you $500 more than you want and you wire the difference back"?
Not even gonna bother with it. Already sent her a reply and I haven't heard anything.

pdailey

Racer
I'm going through one right now. House in Carlsbad for rent. House is listed for sale. got this response when I emailed. It is a really nice house and almost too good to be true. The search continues....

Hello,

My house is available right now...I just relocate to our formal house is Atlanta Georgia with my husband...I just give birth to our second child and that is the reason why I want to rent out my house to someone that will take good care of my house.
The house rent fees is $1,800 include all utilities and the security deposit is $1,500 is for holding my house for you till you will be ready to move in...Pets deposit is $200.
Once your payment is confirm.The keys and rental agreement letter will be send to you via fedex.
Here is the address of my house..You can drive by and get back to me to today
5110 Frost Ave, Carlsbad CA 92008

Also fill the below rental application and submit it back to me for to file and we proceed.

RENT APPLICATION FORM

1) Your Full Name :
2) Your Full Address & Phone Number :
3) Are you married?
4) How many people will be living in the house?
5) Do you have a pet?
6) Do you have a car?
7) Occupation?
8) When are you planning to move in?
9) How many years lease will you be signing?
10..) When do you intend to make payment?

If you are ready to secure my house...Fill the application and submit it back to me...

I will be expecting to read back from you with your phone number so that I can have my husband to call you and discuss with you on phone.

Regards.

Write back...

michael_loomis

That is a common CL scam. The one's that Pit B would have a field day correcting grammer, stay clear!

Mike @ pit b

#Mike@PlanB
That is a common CL scam. The one's that Pit B would have a field day correcting grammer, stay clear!
That would be "grammar".

Yeah Pat, those are the usual CL scams replies. "Give me money first and then I'll send you something....maybe."

glamisrnr

if anyone wants I can write up a batch file that you tell them to open cause it is a copy of your information but it makes there computer shut down. Its fun to do to people that mess with ya. :D So far its the only cool thing I have learned in my programming class, the teacher told us DO NOT write this code and then zip it and send to me LOL he then told us what it did. :D