My guy knows Baja better than your guy

DGruper

Reaction
Bonus question to RC’s “Name that racer”....

After KR, who was the heir apparent to his road racing throne that also did a bit of desert racing?

JDDurfey

Reaction
There are a lot of great people that know Baja well. It is all relevant...Some people know the typical race courses well, others that don't race know all the good trails, and still others know all the good surfing spots. It would be impossible to determine who knows Baja the best.

I will say that those like PAB, Tim Morton, and the guides for any decent touring company know the peninsula the best. But that being said, I don't take anything away from any of the other legendary Baja visitors.

jon coleman

Reaction
the best thing I learned in Baja, growing up& eventually co riding( only raced once my self ,97 ' Fud conquista gp), that no matter how ba dass you think you are, how many cool routes you Think you know, how easy the Baja is , harsh reality slaps you hard and you eat Big helping of humble pie, thats why i love Mex racing , IT is the big dog, period

DGruper

Reaction
is he a Texas native?, if so name is on the tip o me tng, ( no google allowed!)
yeah, not fun or fair if you start Googling....but no, he wasn’t from Texas.
He was known for his steady demeanor, good on saving the equipment, and consistently finishing races to rack up Championship points....and he was from CA. That should narrow it down for you:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Oldmopar66

Reaction
Mr. Niles Ussery. ( Old Fat Niles) He was Mr Baja.

For those who don't know him, he ran the Baja race team for Husqvarna back in the day.
He was also a major contributor to cutting and finding new trails in Baja for the Los Ancianos Tecate Enduro.
I learned a lot riding with him in Baja.
Crusty,
Niles was my uncle and I'm trying to find any photographs of him riding. Do you know where I might be able to find any?

Thank you,
John McAllister

Crusty Shellback

Reaction
John, try getting ahold of Tecate ray on here. He is my cousin and knew Niles longer than I did.
Or try on the los ancianos website as he rode with a lot of us club members.
Are you the John that Niles lived in your garage apparment?
If so, we met at his/your place years ago.