My Latest Project

Motorider

Reaction
Well here are a couple of pictures of my new project. Since I decided to get rid of the ranger for now, I am working on a Predator sand car. I started without a single piece put together, and some parts have fit easier than others. So here are a couple of pics, and I will try to update it whenever I get something new for it. I plan on having it completely ready to sell by thanksgiving, so if you know anyone who is interested, let me know.

First pic is the custom camo paint scheme that was obtained by burning off the powdercoating, and then spending one night outside to obtain that semi-rusty look.

Attachments

Motorider

Reaction
Here is another picture of the front end. They claim to get 26" of travel, so we'll see what it actually measures once it is off the cart. Let me tell you, the 20" it strokes out right now is a beautiful thing.

Attachments

Motorider

Reaction
This was the first major item ordered. This 934 microstub kit from CNC cost a pretty penny, I just couldn't ante up for the fortin hubs.

Attachments

Motorider

Reaction
This was a nice something to get in the mail. Front hubs from gear one. I found out that you can order things from AZ and you don't have to pay sales tax on them. This was a great day. lol

Attachments

Motorider

Reaction
It took a little bit of work, but we got the front hubs on this past weekend. Finally got everything lined up. The wheels surprisingly nice, I got them polished in Mexico, and they look great for having been in a fire and having all kinds of burnt rubber crap on them.

Attachments

Motorider

Reaction
I got the peddles in and now I sit in the seat straight out of the seventies and dream! lol I can wait unitl the shifter comes in

Attachments

yamadog77

Reaction
<font color="red"> Why did you have to burn the powder coating off? (not that I dont like the custom rust color effect)
</font color>

Erik Irvine

Reaction
So the car had caught on fire before you got it? Your stoked you got the whole frame annealed for a good price. Hopefully the fire heated the metal perfectly even throughout. Maybe I will start selling that, walk around with 5 gallons of race fuel with a "heat treating" sticker on it

Project1500

Reaction
Where in the ocean did you find it?
Are you using the money you got from selling your ranger to build it?

Motorider

Reaction
Yamadog, the guy that i bought it from didn't want it powdercoated white, so he had it burned mostly off. Although the color is starting to grow on me. lol

67baja, the car didn't actually catch fire, the tires were in a weekend warrior that burnt to the ground on the side of his house, and the rims were sitting outside, because he had just purchased some new beadlocks that were sitting inside the trailer. By the time it was done burning, all that was left was the beadlock ring. there went the 2200 dollar set of tires.

Project 1500, pretty much the money i got from the ranger just went into buying it. I got someone to help finance things, and hopefully I can make some money on it. Lol

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
thats how you remove powder coat...it is too costly to use a solvent to remove it. Check with any shop that powder coats and thats how they remove it when they have to recoat it.

Brice

Reaction
wut about bead blasting? wouldnt that be less prep time before putting on another coat of powder?

Motorider

Reaction
For those that don't know, I'll give the little bit of information on powdercoating. The paint is applied electrically bonding it to the metal. Then it is baked on, and has a very resiliant surface. The quote to have this chasis sand blasted was 80 hours. The quote to have it burned off was 8 hours. Now granted the powdercoater may have to do some prep to the frame before he can powder coat it, but it will be minimal compared to what he would have had to of done, if he was sandblasting it off.

SpareChangeRacng

Reaction
Just a little more about powdercoating - Powder coating is NOT a paint by the way. It is a powder that is electrostatically applied to the part. The powder is then baked in an oven until the powder melts and flows together to coat the part. Hence the name "powdercoating". There are many different grades/types of powdercoating for different applications. Some are harder, but that makes them more brittle. I believe the ones used for trucks are polyeurethene based for more elasticity so they don't crack off. Steve

mattrick8888

Reaction
what kind of prep will it take to remove the rust? i would assume sand blasting but is there another way i dont know about?

DANKFAB

Reaction
Ya my truck is gettin' rusty, and I heard a friend say I should use brake cleaner to get off the surface rust, then rough it up with some fine grit sand paper before painting it. I cannot afford a powder coat for my arms, trailing arms and spindles right now so they will get painted too. Is there something better than brake cleaner?? I have been wd-40(ing) my rusty stuff and it helps keep the rust to a minimum before I get around to painting it.

Crashbig

Reaction
Only thing with using wd-40 is if you don't get it cleaned off really good the paint will fish eye real bad, napa should carry degreaser/cleaner in their paint section, works good for paint prep don't know if it take off rust though, but the sand paper should get most of it, a real tough scotchbrite and dish soap with degreaser additives in it also works decent for paint prep.
Pete

dadomin8r

Reaction
lime-a-way and CLR take off light rust pretty well too. The heavy rust won't come off unless you let it sit, submerged in a tank of it for a long time...It's cheap, it's easy and it's under your sink.

yamadog77

Reaction
Right on, thanks for the info. Looks like it will be a fun car when its all done.