• Forum membership has its advantages....

On Topic My Name is Josh, and I wheel a Lexus...

nver2nd

Hello everybody! I recently setup an account and wanted to introduce myself. My name is Josh, and I wheel a Lexus GX470. I have been building the GX for just over 2 years now, and it started out as a new home for some "donor" FJ Cruiser parts after a traffic accident totaled it out.

Just two quick years later, I managed to take the truck from a cream puff stock truck to what it is today. Here is a quick rundown of what I have done to the truck so far.
  • Total Chaos +3.5" 4WD Race series Long Travel front kit
  • King 2.5" Primary shocks w/ adjusters, with 3 tube bypass secondaries
  • First set of McQueen Prototype Design Front Fiberglass fenders to ever be produced (2" over stock, built for my old +2" TC' kit.
  • 10" rear King 3.0"s with adjusters, with aftermarket arms and timbren bumps.
  • 9.5" Diamond axle in the rear, with an ARB locker and Nitro 4.56's
  • Harrop front E-locker with Nitro 4.56's
  • Demello Off-road Front bumper (first for a GX)
  • Baja Designs XL80 lights mounted to the bumper (5x)
  • Maxxis Razr MT's (35x12.5 17)
  • Walker Evans Racing Beadlocks
  • Southern Style offroad Rear bumper (tire carrier, formerly with fuel can mount and TRED ramp mount).
  • Demello Off-Road Rock Sliders
  • A bunch of other crap that probaly doesn't need to get mentioned here...
I daily drive the truck and beat it up in the desert (and mountains) as much as I can. I have no regrets about this thing, and recommend it to anybody who wants a V8 powered Toyota 4WD. I built the truck as a "jack of all trades, master of none" type of vehicle, but it does have its issues. The rear tire carrier for example is being a real pain in the ass, so thats why I descided to join RDC today, to try and find some ideas on how to build a better stronger rear tire carrier for this truck. The one on the truck REALLY hates desert wheeling, ESPECIALLY when I push the truck through the whoops at speed.

If anybody has some ideas on what I can do to build a stout rear tire carrier, i'm all ears!

Here are a few shots of my GX:
SOCALTOYOTAFEST_2017_161.jpg

barstow_6_24_2017_45.jpg

IMG_20180503_134323.jpg

IMG_20180503_131146.jpg

IMG_20180430_181108.jpg

isdtbower

I would guess that the tire carrier needs wider hinge bearings. And it probably depends on how the bumper (bearing mount) twists to all that front-to-back weight.
You are in the area of many fab shops that should be able to handle that. And, I think, there is someone who sells just the bearing/hinge for a fab shop to install. Or maybe it is a loose Bearclaw on the fastening side. There are clamps that can be added to stop the rattle.

I know some like to show off their wheels and tires but ditching it is an option with beadlocks. It takes about 5 minutes to get inside of a beadlock with a 1/4" impact hammer. Now you can install a tube, valve stems, boots and anything else to fix the tire. And probably 80% of your issues would be fixed with Safety Seal rope kits. You don't even have to take the wheel off the axle. And you already probably carry air of some kind. Loose that 125 lbs.

Then again that Lexus is probably rated for 125mph and could destroy a tire. But then you could break all the wheel studs and nothing would work. Options.

Cool rig. Cheers.