My new race car

D4D

Reaction
After being out of the driver's seat for 3 years I am finally getting back in. I have traded a highly modified Suzuki LTR450 quad for a Solo Vee race car. I will run a few autocross and hillclimb races and then do some track days at Miller. I am sooooooooo excited about finally doing this. I have had a lot of road race cars but have never done the open wheel thing before. Solo Vee does not exist in my region so I will be running by myself, with this in mind I am considering making some tweaks which will make it illegal for Solo Vee but eligable but slow for a few other classes. But at Miller it would be a blast.

Same chassis and body as this car.

http://members.aye.net/~racerx/chuckbuysse2000.html

michael_loomis

Reaction
Nice!! That looks like a blast!

Can we enter lemons in it Mike?? :D

D4D

Reaction
If there was a "formula" class in the Lemons race then we could run it Loomis, well not really, while it is a cheap car it is not that cheap ;)

Yes the Solo Vee class is a VW class, uses stock Bug brakes, suspension, steering, transmission and motor. Car has a 1600 that is punched out to a 1915 which is on the fine line of being class legal. With the previous driver it holds a number of top time of day at local region autocross and hillclimbs. My first race is this weekend providing it does not snow.

Mumzy

Reaction
Nice car.
I worked at Swift Engineering for a couple of years back in the DB1-5 days, and would love to get my hands on an old Swift FF or Sports 2000. We live only 20 minutes from Lime Rock.

michael_loomis

Reaction
Awesome! How about an autocraft 2918 turbo??? LOL

Screw that junk... Pauter 4.0 liter Big Block!!!!

jajaja

I'll bet that thing is a rocket with a 1915! how much does that thing weight race ready?

Chris Tobin

Reaction
If there was a "formula" class in the Lemons race then we could run it Loomis, well not really, while it is a cheap car it is not that cheap ;)

Yes the Solo Vee class is a VW class, uses stock Bug brakes, suspension, steering, transmission and motor. Car has a 1600 that is punched out to a 1915 which is on the fine line of being class legal. With the previous driver it holds a number of top time of day at local region autocross and hillclimbs. My first race is this weekend providing it does not snow.

So Mike, did it snow or not??? Did you race??? If you did, how'd you do???:eek:

Inquiring minds want to know!!!!:D

D4D

Reaction
It snowed and rained so no racing :(

I took the car out Sunday, ran it around on the public streets (It is good living in a small town in the middle of BFE) for about 30 minutes. The car is scarey quick! It does have a braking issue, it dances around a bit under braking. I think it is due to the lack of weight and no downforce in the front, I also need to mess with the bias. Previous owner said it has always been that way and I will get used to it which maybe the case but I am not happy with it and it is not correct so I will get it dialed in this spring.
Honestly after driving it all I could think is how much fun the motor would be in a Baja Bug.

D4D

Reaction
The car is for sale and CHEAP!

It has become very evident to me that having an asphalt race car makes no sense in my life anymore. I just finally put my entire 2010 travel schedule on papaer and am on the road a total of 38 weekends this year. And go figure each and every local (Within 300 miles) road race, autocross or hillclimb is happening on a weekend when I am gone at an off road race or other event. So instead of having it sit in the garage I am blowing it out, $1500 takes it home, that is everything; the car, trailer, extra wheels & tires, spares, etc. I know no one lives near me but if you want a race car you can not find one this cheap and this good so what you spend coming to get it is still a HUGE deal.

Takers? Anyone?