my "new" ride

dcman008

Reaction
just picked this bad boy. its a 1980 ,older then me, toyota pickup. i got a supreme deal on it $400.00. i just wanted to of show it off be for i get to work/messing it up. right now its not running but it will give me some time to save money and put a lot of work in it.

live long 91 corica

Attachments

• 5-21448-00_00033.JPG
    5-21448-00_00033.JPG
    99.7 KB · Views: 115

dcman008

Reaction
Re: my \"new\" ride

here is a pick of the inside.

live long 91 corica

Attachments

• 5-21449-00_00034.JPG
    5-21449-00_00034.JPG
    108.7 KB · Views: 107

rdc

- users no longer part of the rdc family -
Reaction

Is that 4WD? That would be a great start for a rock crawler...

Bill

Carlos Danger
Reaction

I have a built 22r for sale complete with clutch,daul carbs and power steering all for $1200,00

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction

If there is not a motor, put a small block in it.

Kris

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.dmsrace.com>www.dmsrace.com</A>

dcman008

Reaction

the back ground on the truck the guy i got it from bought it in 98 had it for like a month and jumped it in to a lake broke the rear shock mounts, gas tank, and siezed the motor. then it sat at his house for 3 years so he sold it to me .
right now i need to d-side on how I'm going to spend my money , on the motor or new suspension.
opt1. buy my friends 351 winzer, just out of the crate, for $200.now that means i need new everything but it would hall balls
opt2. i can get a rebuilt 20r for $300 but don't have to change everything out. and put money into the Suspension because it 80's style with about 10in for travle all a round
all input would be great thanks

live long 91 corica

martininsocal

Reaction

dc man- stick with the toy motor- with teh right cam and carb, it will go plenty fast even with some suspension upgrades. for the suspension, you can get plenty of travel in the rear with leaves, and they will work great. the front is a different story. lots of money to get past 10"s, and 12 is about max. i have an old 7s straight axle toy and have spent enough money on it to realize it will never be as fast as a a 2wd. (calm down markel). i have toyed with switching itover to a-arms in the front and go with the chevy full size lift spindles so i can stick with the 6 lug pattern. but that is even more money!

martin

If your gonna go, go BIG

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction

Have some deavers made for the front too. You can make a solid axle work good
with a good set of springs and good shock. My Dad had a solid axle Blazer and it romped.

Kris

Kris

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.dmsrace.com>www.dmsrace.com</A>

Chris

Reaction

I don't think that is a four-by. No transfer case stick and it doesn't look like it has four-by hubs up front, although I am as blind as a bat so I am probably wrong.

dcman008

Reaction
it's 2wd. i wish it was newer and 4wd. but it's still the shiznit. does any one make a bolt on long travel kit for a truck that old?

live long 91 corica

Curtis Guise

Administrator
Reaction

from 1979 - 1995 the mounting points on the frame are the same on the 2wd. The difference between the 1979 - 1983 and the 1984-1995 is only the spindle and the lower ball joint design. The truck I started with was a wrecked 1983 2wd and made my own arms and got Sway-A-Way torsions. (then 2 years ago I went crazy and built everything new on the front with 17" of travel)
Do yourself a favor and spend the extra money on the big 300m torsions right off the bat( $300 I think) The newer ones will fit regardless if what people tell you (84 - 95 ones). If you don't want to spend that much right now I have a pair of the smaller Sway-A-ways that will go right in your truck for about $75 maybe. I think they are $150 new approx. Let me know if you want them.

I went through the last 6 years of starting from the bottom with the same truck so feel free to ask me anything you want. I should be able to help in some way.

I attached a before and after pic of my truck.

Curtis

Attachments

• 5-21513-before&after.jpg
    5-21513-before&after.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 89

martininsocal

Reaction

I was told the suspension from the '77-'79 trucks was a little better than the '80 on, is that true(for 2wd). a buddy said they built a 7s truck way back then and ran the earlier parts for travel and strength. whats the difference if any? also- I see that the T-100 spindles are allowed in the 7s class, are they any better?

martin

If your gonna go, go BIG

Curtis Guise

Administrator
Reaction

Not sure about the T-100 spindles. Maybe one of the Professional fab shops can answer that one. Anyone??

Maybe they meant 79 - 83? I am positive those years are the same becuase I actually got two trucks when I built my race truck. Started with the 83 that had a bent frame (friend hit a telephone pole with it... broke it in half... :) ) and got a 79 that I swapped frames with. Both had the same style lower balljoint and spindle. They change after 84.
It was luck that I had those years and after looking them over and designing the longer arms I preffered the way the spindle and balljoint was on the older years. I got a little more travel with it than the newer ones could but I don't know if it was any stronger. I never broke a spindle and beat the crap out if them racing in Barstow so it worked out.... I don't think I ever looked at a 77 or 78. I imagine they could be like the 79 - 83's.

Curtis

Curtis Guise

Administrator
Reaction

Oh, and the difference from the older to newer lower balljoint and spindle design is that the balljoint taper on the old ones point down through the spindle, like it's pushing it together during up travel. The newer ones are the opposite, like it's trying to pull it apart. Upper is the same on all. Not sure if it effects the strength much but the angle of the balljoint worked better for me on the old model.
Non of this applies to the Tacoma's of course.

dcman008

Reaction
to tell you the truth i don't know much about how the front suspension is set up .all i know is it has a full engine cage and daul shox mounts. i don't know if that effects the mounting points. i will try to post a pic to help show what i'm working with. not best shot will try to find better.

live long 91 corica

Attachments

• 5-21538-tire.JPG
    5-21538-tire.JPG
    38.4 KB · Views: 106