My other hobby......

DOG ON

RDC's illegal immigrant
Reaction
Hi Guys,

I would like to share something very personal, my other hobby is astronomy, specially astrophotography......Yesterday had a perfect night, so I was open for business in the observatory and catch a glimpse of Saturn. I am posting 2 pictures of Saturn processed in 2 very different ways , lets see which one you like the best....

Thanks!;)

Attachments

randy68

#1 Enemy of Google
Reaction
Kewl!

Hayward Racing

Reaction
Gustavo that is really cool but I cant really see a difference in the pix.

cbrdoll

Resident Cougar
Reaction
That is absolutely brilliant! Wow!!! I'm having a hard time finding a difference myself.., only noting that the lower one the ring seems a bit brighter....could be my screen too...or ????? so.....help us out here!!! Amazing photos!!!

DOG ON

RDC's illegal immigrant
Reaction
Thanks guys for your kind words, both were taken out of the same raw data, but actually the one on the top looks a bit "sharper" than the softer one on the bottom, that is because I used a deconvolution routine and several other things.

Some people like Saturn softer than sharper because if you abuse the deconvolution, you run the risk of creating "artifacts" or things that are actually not there, (those grainy looking pixels).

I guess is a case of taste, that is why I put both so you can see, let me post a picture that I consider one of my best....let go and find it in my facebook

DOG ON

RDC's illegal immigrant
Reaction
This is Galaxy M51....It is devouring a much smaller galaxy, it is stripping it out of all its mass.....just like a vicious hurricane swallowing a smaller one......

This will happen to us, (milky way) we will be devoured by Andromeda M31 in the distant future.:p

This is probably one of my best deep space pictures, This picture is the result of 13 hours exposure.

Attachments

DOG ON

RDC's illegal immigrant
Reaction
Here are some other ones I have taken over the past couple of years....

If you like 'em, you can visit my website at http://www.xosmos.com

Click on Galeria and you can look at some of my work there....I still have to learn a lot, but I think am getting there.

Once again, thank you for your kind words. ;) Its is interesting how the wonders of the universe are so widely liked and yet, only a handful of channels dedicate their programming to worth while programs

Attachments

randy s

Reaction
Thanks guys for your kind words, both were taken out of the same raw data, but actually the one on the top looks a bit "sharper" than the softer one on the bottom, that is because I used a deconvolution routine and several other things.

Some people like Saturn softer than sharper because if you abuse the deconvolution, you run the risk of creating "artifacts" or things that are actually not there, (those grainy looking pixels).

I guess is a case of taste, that is why I put both so you can see, let me post a picture that I consider one of my best....let go and find it in my facebook
and where do i go to meet these grainy looking pixels? anthony's?

randy s

Reaction
seriously gus. you never cease to amaze me. nice work migo. have you ever been up to the observatory in baja norte? i'm told it's the clearest on the planet because of the lack of light pollution.

randy s

Reaction
I bet Gus comes back with something awesome like "The main difference is the lower photo was taken in the future. If you look closely you can see Buck Rodgers."
mr. rodgers to you dan.

DOG ON

RDC's illegal immigrant
Reaction
and where do i go to meet these grainy looking pixels? anthony's?
Tenias que ser tu Randy!! (I picture that with Carmen's voice)

Wait till you see the new pictures of the pre runner...... I am hiring a "celestial body" to make the car look good, just like the ones in the magazine.....Ill post a pic of that too ;)

Randy, with the new flu,
I would be cautious not to flounder
in any "close encounter"
with those baby Barbarellas....

Dont go to Anthony's
If you still want to "magnetise"
I suggest otherwise
I bet in El Cajon you can find
Another Girl with the same kind of "eyes"

Well................You catch my drift!

DOG ON

RDC's illegal immigrant
Reaction
seriously gus. you never cease to amaze me. nice work migo. have you ever been up to the observatory in baja norte? i'm told it's the clearest on the planet because of the lack of light pollution.
Never been there , although the researchers there are good friends, I meant to go during the past Baja...but couldnt find the time for the 2 poisons of my life! :D

San Pedro Martir is a great location.....they hype it a bit more than it actually is, but nice research is done there.

We should take that awesome grey prerunner of yours and go there...I can manage to get us a nice reception and a VIP tour of the place;)

MALIBLOC

Reaction
pretty cool though

when are we getting hit by a asteroid???

cbrdoll

Resident Cougar
Reaction
Here are some other ones I have taken over the past couple of years....

If you like 'em, you can visit my website at http://www.xosmos.com

Click on Galeria and you can look at some of my work there....I still have to learn a lot, but I think am getting there.

Once again, thank you for your kind words. ;) Its is interesting how the wonders of the universe are so widely liked and yet, only a handful of channels dedicate their programming to worth while programs
Everything you posted on here,Amazing, absolutely fascinating!!!!!! Makes me wanna go visit an observatory this weekend, that would make for a great streetbike ride too!!
Thanks for sharing!:)

DOG ON

RDC's illegal immigrant
Reaction
Everything you posted on here,Amazing, absolutely fascinating!!!!!! Makes me wanna go visit an observatory this weekend, that would make for a great streetbike ride too!!
Thanks for sharing!:)
You are welcome my dear! Take your significant other along that ride.....nothing beats looking at the stars with good company

DEZERTBOUND

Reaction
Thank you for sharing.....very nice

I took the family to Griffith Observatory a couple weeks ago. A great place for pre-teens. We humans are very lucky too have such an amazing universe around us.

....everyone knows how too find the "Northstar"(Polaris)? It may save your life someday.....

please more pictures....

DOG ON

RDC's illegal immigrant
Reaction
Thank you for sharing.....very nice

I took the family to Griffith Observatory a couple weeks ago. A great place for pre-teens. We humans are very lucky too have such an amazing universe around us.

....everyone knows how too find the "Northstar"(Polaris)? It may save your life someday.....

please more pictures....
Thanks! Griffith Observatory is a great learning experience.....I admire all these observatories, ....I now enjoy my trips to Kitt Peak and meeting all these great people you guys have in the States.

In November 2006, David H. Levy was kind enough to come to the National Amateur Astronomers Reunion in My home town.

David who is widely considered one of the most accomplished Astronomers alive was gracious in granting us an interview in his program, also he inaugurated my Observatory who has his name.

here is the audio of that interview, I was very nervous....I didn't even know what he wanted to talk about, so bare with my English, I was in Spanish mode when he was shooting......Skip all the way to the middle of this file, you can listen to this interview which was a catalyst to reinforce our relationship with the AZ astronomers.

(I start right in the middle I also talk how a group of friends of mine design a new concept of observatories who are very affordable for the amateur astronomer )

http://www.xosmos.com/images/temp/lts_20070116.mp3

Here are a few more pics:

(The 1st one is an animation of Jupiter and a transit of its moons)

Attachments

scary fast hummer

Reaction
Sheesh, I just play ice hockey in my spare time. The only celestial bodies I ever get to see are stars after a big hit ;-)

Great pics!