my recently (very easily) made lower links

geoff

Reaction
originally I was gonna go use an IRS off of a navigator, but after i bolted the cv axles to the housing and mounted it solidly, it would only do 15.8" of travel, so that idea was nixxed... if anyone needs it let me know

Anyway so back to the drawing board for the 4 link. The truck is an extended cab toyota so we made them 52". I bent a tube for the lower (1 3/4 x .120 Wall DOM) and then cut a 2x5" piece of box steel, 120 wall and cut the box in the shape of the arm. I left extra material to fully wrap around the front bushing tube. This seems much easier than going with two tubes, or going with all box. I have to make a diamond shaped plate for the shocks to mount to the arms with extra support in. I will make it from 3/16" sheet. I think this should be pretty strong at this point...

I have to make some bungs, do most ppl use SS, and weld it to the steel with 309? Thanks, heres the pics.

"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of the dreams." -- Willy Wonka

NorCal_Prerunner

Reaction
Geoff,
My .02 cents:

Looks good. Very simple design, appears to be strong, nice welds. I look forward to seeing how you complete the pocket for the shock mounts. Good job!

Would it have been easier to build the pocket before welding the tubing to the 2X5? It just looks like it might have been easier with access to the pocket from the bottom of the link?

All your pics and info needs to be added to the Lower Links 101 thread.

It's never too late to be what you might have been....

tedmales

Reaction
looks great!!!

life is too short to be small

geoff

Reaction
OHHH yeah it would have been easier, but it was a late night weld, at like 4 AM so when you arent seeing straight and are really tired, its a bad idea to just say ok before i go to bed lets weld... hindsight is 2020 haha

anyway i have a straight "pen" tig torch that is a flex torch so it will still get in there no problem, but it would have been easier beforehand...

now time to start playing with some uppers. i got a new software program that apparently a lot of suspension engineers use so i guess i will try it out!

i think its time for upperlinks 101!!

"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of the dreams." -- Willy Wonka