• Forum membership has its advantages....

narrowing chevy feont differential

joeljj

im brand new to this forum so please tell me if im doing something wrong. and i appreciate all of your help ahead of time.

so ive heard that all of the pro 4 trucks used to run narrowed chevy 3500 front differentials in there trucks before all of the fancy aftermarket differentials started being produced... so after days of reasearch i still have not come across much on how to narrow these differentials. so my question is how would i go about narrowing one of these differentials to use on a future project of mine? or if there is any other differentials or axles that are easier to modify the same way? if anybody can point me in the right direction that would be amazing

im gonna attempt to whip out a 4wd prerunner of some sorts. thanks?

joeljj

oh sweet hello mosbuilt .. i did notice ur name pop up in quite a few forums ive read may i ask how u narrowed them?. i read somewhere that u have to take off about 3 inches of the housing itself and then mill out a plate and tig weld it on.. is that how these were done? also what do you do with the 4wd actuator? thank you very much! joel

Chris Tobin

The 4WD actuator or Center Axle Disconnect (CAD) can be removed. I installed a Fleece Performance Engineering CAD delete on my Chevy 2500 HD that replaces the two piece passenger side axle assembly with a one piece axle that is much stronger... I do not know for sure, but it looks like the one shown above used driver side short axles on each side after the case was machined and narrowed...

Rocket 450

I could be wrong but, all the pivot points need to line up and be on the same arc. So when you narrow the C.S. the arms & steering mounting need to be narrowed to match. Making the arm longer match the track width. It would also may be wise idea to remachine C.S. outputs and stub axles to accept a Better C.V.

Sent from my C811 4G using Tapatalk

Vinceanthony

im brand new to this forum so please tell me if im doing something wrong. and i appreciate all of your help ahead of time.

so ive heard that all of the pro 4 trucks used to run narrowed chevy 3500 front differentials in there trucks before all of the fancy aftermarket differentials started being produced... so after days of reasearch i still have not come across much on how to narrow these differentials. so my question is how would i go about narrowing one of these differentials to use on a future project of mine? or if there is any other differentials or axles that are easier to modify the same way? if anybody can point me in the right direction that would be amazing

im gonna attempt to whip out a 4wd prerunner of some sorts. thanks?
Did you ever end up narrowing the diff? I want to do the same but I’m having a hard time finding info. Any advice would be much appreciated.